S12 SBSing question

I would like to SBS my Bullpupped S12, but I would like to be able to hunt with it as well. In Ohio barrel length must be at least 18". My thought is since it's a smooth bore, to shorten the barrel and instead of a thread protector/muzzle break, install a heavy coupler w/ an internal thread protector. In this way, the internal thread protector may be removed and a barrel extension(the cut and threaded left over lenght of barrel) screwed into place.

I know that with a rifled barrel, this is near impossible at best. But with a smooth bore? I've also heard that internal pressures may be a problem, as well, as variations in wall thickness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Bob, but while that may work for you, it doesn't work for me, else I would not be asking. So my question stands. I can't afford nor want to have a boat load of extra guns laying around. I have the S12 and want to make it as multi purpose as possible. It may be that Bullpupping it is as short as it will get. But I'd like some actual feed back on what I've preposed rather than snarky comments.

Thanks anyway,

Nothing snarky about my comment at all, I was actually confused by your question. So I hope you will kindly accept my apology.

Generally it costs more than the retail cost of an S12 to produce an SBS, which is why I suggested that 2 guns might be better. I know it doesn't answer your question but I was trying to give a considered opinion.

Also, your statement "In Ohio barrel length must be at least 18" muddled the point a bit; 18" minimum length is a federal law so I thought you were trying to say that Ohio didn't allow SBS. Upon a bit of research I see that it does.

Now since you insist, I will attempt to answer your question. It certainly would be possible to make a fitment that provided a secure, reliable and accurate way of attaching a barrel extension. I don't believe there is a trivial way to do so however, so my guess is that it would be prohibitively expensive. Thus the reason for my original comment.

I would think the biggest problem might be wall thickness variations and possibly the angle of the threading if you didn't get the threads perfectly aligned with the bore. I thought about trying a barrel extension in this way myself using a cutoff end of a barrel that was SBS'd already. Just using the factory threads on the end of that and having a coupler made from a threaded choke adapter.

Izhmash does in fact make barrel extensions and you may be able to get one through Acca-47, Ruseller, or one of the Russian online sellers. Dodgeturbointerceptor sold one recently on here. I think Scout Joe picked that up?

I would think the biggest problem might be wall thickness variations and possibly the angle of the threading if you didn't get the threads perfectly aligned with the bore. I thought about trying a barrel extension in this way myself using a cutoff end of a barrel that was SBS'd already. Just using the factory threads on the end of that and having a coupler made from a threaded choke adapter.

Izhmash does in fact make barrel extensions and you may be able to get one through Acca-47, Ruseller, or one of the Russian online sellers. Dodgeturbointerceptor sold one recently on here. I think Scout Joe picked that up?

I would think the biggest problem might be wall thickness variations and possibly the angle of the threading if you didn't get the threads perfectly aligned with the bore. Exactly :up:

It isn't a problem from a design standpoint.

The 2 barrels would have to locate by a matched concentric-stepped connection, then fastened either by plates or a threaded sleeve as the OP suggested.

My point remains that it would be financially counterindicated to do so.

Thanks Cobra, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Bob, sorry if I came off pissy and I guess I can understand your being confused by my opening post. In Ohio, we can't HUNT with rifles(at all, save maybe for varmits) or shottys with barrels less than 18". Since I'm a DIYer, and a huge believer in Multi purposeing, I was looking for info on doing this myself. As I'm not exactly in a "stable" housing situation, I figure there's no point in owning more guns than I can carry should SHtF. And most of my life has been about ShtF, so that is why I would rather not have more than I can carry, lol.

Thanks guys, every little bit helps.

I don't think you can do it for legal reasons. I would consult someone in the know. It's my understanding, and I am no expert, that to convert any class 3 weapon requires filing the appropriate paperwork.

Strictly speaking, it isn't a conversion, but a barrel extension. I dunno, class 3 stuff is interesting, but the paper work is burdensome. So far, I haven't been bitten by the bug. I was looking at one and I asked a similar question. The dealer said it was a no-no. Any legal experts out there? Ha ha.

Edited by sauerquint

sauerquint, I believe he knows he must build his gun into an SBS first; I assume on a Form 1 since he is talking about doing it himself.

I suppose you could go as low as 12-14" with the bullpup design and run only 00 buckshot for HD purposes. Here, I'll make a quick sketch of what I suppose would work:

post-2775-043643500 1283868225_thumb.jpg

There are two factors regarding alignment

1) The concentric alignment of the 2 barrels will be controlled by the areas marked "Sleeve Dia". This could even be a taper so long as #2 is satisfied...

2) The axial alignment will be controlled by the squareness of the areas marked "Face" to the bore. The two bold faces must press together when the threaded sleeve is tightened.

The barrel threads will allow a thread protector/breacher/flash hider to be used when the extension is not in use.

There are other ways to attach the 2 pieces, but regardless you must maintain axial and concentric alignment for the gun to shoot safely. Good luck.

Yep, this is much like the threaded adapters for internal chokes. On the winchoke adapter, it is why you can't use some winchester chokes, even though they do thread into the adapter. They don't go deep enough inside to actually make face to face contact with the end of the muzzle. With the proper winchokes, or Browning Invector, etc, the choke tightens up against the face of the muzzle as you tighten the adapter down onto the barrel threads, making a good solid abutment. I haven't seen any probs yet with concentric alignment due to varying wall thickness, but I don't have any guns that are way off like some pics I've seen.

Thanks guys, esp Bob for the drawing. This is the idea I had but no I don't have access to a lathe and I haven't used on in years, lol. But it is all food for thought. It's still a year or so down the road yet. Just one of the many projects on the list, but now I have a better idea of what to be thinking about.

Again thank you all.