1974 Remington 1100 purchased off of Gunbroker for $295

IMG_1955.jpg

First the chop

IMG_1960.jpg

Then a small parts infusion

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

This was actually the last shotgun I had in mind. I was mostly interested in the Saiga 12, Benelli M4, and Mossberg 930 until I handled them all back to back. The feel and balance of these in an 18.5" barrel felt really good to me. A shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a Saiga 12, but I held off for a day...which was great as I ran into an unforeseen fundage issue.

I've been practicing the in-hand reloading technique and have had a few user-induced jams due to letting a round slip beneath the lifter. It's not a big deal, except the mag tube and clamp have to be removed :mellow: Hopefully with more practice this can be resolved. It's frustrating as I owned a Remington 870 for 12 years and never had that happen.

I'll be taking it out in a couple days. If things don't work out I may have to go lookin' for another Saiga deal.

My wife was a little miffed that I sold off the wood furniture. It was beautiful stuff. However, it would have got beat up and I much prefer a pistol grip. I learned to shoot on a thumb hole stock then when straight to M16A2's, so everything else feels wrong. The idea was to imitate the Tac-2 or 11-87P but with a ventilated rib.

The Saiga is definitely an attractive option.

• 1 month later...

Finally got this thing out to the range. It was a blast to shoot. The range only allowed slugs on the rifle range and I fired 75 rounds of 1oz full powered loads through it. The only issues were the light tube coming loose in the front sight and nearly running out of adjustment on the rear sight (had to remove the elevation adjustment base which also serves as protective wings).

IMG_2437.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMVzztS0neM

Loved every second of it.

as far as having a Saiga or a 1100 no reason not to do both. I like how you set yours up.

I'm working on mine at this point I'm not planning to get the Choate stock this time, in fact I'm kind of looking for the English style Special Field wood.

I got a 21" slug barrel so I'll get a 4 shot instead of a 5 shot mag tube this time.

I'm thinking about sending the 30" trap barrel and having it set up for card shooting I have a bolt gun with a 36" bull barrel that's too well known and can't get any side bets at the turkey shoots, need a sleeper gun.

Nice work on your $295.00 investment.

as far as having a Saiga or a 1100 no reason not to do both. I like how you set yours up.

I'm working on mine at this point I'm not planning to get the Choate stock this time, in fact I'm kind of looking for the English style Special Field wood.

I got a 21" slug barrel so I'll get a 4 shot instead of a 5 shot mag tube this time.

I'm thinking about sending the 30" trap barrel and having it set up for card shooting I have a bolt gun with a 36" bull barrel that's too well known and can't get any side bets at the turkey shoots, need a sleeper gun.

Nice work on your $295.00 investment.

There are a couple reasons for me not to. The main one right now is monetary. If/when I do it's gonna be a SBS 12K style build.

Good luck on your project. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was pleased to find out last weekend that thing thing cycles Remington bulk pack bird shot perfectly. That means I'll be doing the 'ol 100 round packs in the near future. We fired a bunch of 9-pellet 00 buck, which was a lot softer shooting than 1oz slugs, and it hit at the same POI/POI as the slugs I zeroed it in with. My stepson, a couple friends and I had fun popping pop cans at about 15 yards. Everybody did real well with it, making solid, consistent hits.

After a cleaning I did what will be one of my final mods:

IMG_3207.jpgIMG_3210.jpg

I think it looks great! I have the same butt stock on my 870. Have to admit, I think the butt stock is 'butt' ugly, but man, does it feel just right! Shoulders well, and the sight (bead) lines up just perfect each and every time. I was about to go that route but decided to do the S-12 instead. I hope you do not regret selling that wood. I have done the same and regretted it. But regardless, damn fine looking shottie! Congrats!

Civic?...to describe a classic American shotgun that's been relatively unchanged since 1963? Huh.

I think you missed my point, or simply chose not to get it. The point was that, just as you point out,

it's odd to tacticool a classic hunting gun.

If it makes you feel better, I have shotguns four times its age.

Yes, that point was so very clear. How foolish of me.

Any Remington 1100 or 11-87, whether it is a game, target, tactical or police variant (and their derivatives) are all essentially the same classic firearm at the core.

I would feel the same regardless of the age of your firearms, sir...and I don't find what I've done here odd, either. I've seen quite a few done similarly, mostly with the 3-gun crowd.

A few parts would restore the "classic hunting gun" appearance. It's not "tacticooled" to make a fashion statement or to piss off sportsmen. This was done as this is what I want in my shotgun, what works for me ergonomically, and was the best 1100 I could put together with the smallest investment.

If this thing had a plain barrel with ghost ring sights and a parkerized finish I guess it would be a real tactical gun, then...aye?

I had tried a multitude of stocks with my 870 and I remember this one being the most comfortable. I don't consider it ugly, but functional. No regrets at all with selling the wood. I'm sure that stuff got a more deserving home.

Well, there's people that like preserving a gun's pedigree, and then there are those that

think "well, it's MY gun, so I can do what I want." or "I can buy it like this, save a bunch

of money over buying it like that, then put this, that, and the other thing on it, and have

something LIKE that, but for a lot cheaper."

The problem is, guns outlast their owners, and usually, the people who buy something and then

modify it into what they want to save money, as opposed to buying it from the factory that way,

are the ones that run into financial difficulties more often and have to sell all their toys

to pay their mortgages.

Then, they get pennies on the dollar for the guns that they turned into their visions, when it

turns out that most other folks liked them better before they starting fucking with them.

Something that comes from the factory has a certain authenticity over something someone

cobbled together, and generally, the less people realize that, the shittier their "customization"

becomes.

That's an interesting notion. I've never heard a firearm referenced as having a "pedigree" before, or the idea that it should be preserved...nor the idea that good used firearms are destined to be mercilessly bubba'd by the financially unstable only to be sold for a pittance.

This 1100 was purchased because:

A.) I prefer the deep blue finish over parkerizing

B.) A vent rib was desired

C.) The older action was chosen as they tend to be better finished internally and externally, have better triggers from the factory, as well as being devoid of plastic parts.

The fact that it cost a whole lot less than purchasing a new vent rib model and chopping it was just a bonus, not the impetus. The scroll work on the receiver was also just a cool bonus.

The way the whole idea came to fruition is that my intention was originally to purchase a Mossberg 930 Turkey pistol grip and chopping that. After handling an SPX and not liking it, I looked at others. Remington was of course my fave. So, I then created this shotgun on MS paint based on my original Mossberg concept:

1100tac4-prod_chopped2.jpg

That's pretty much what I put together.

What would be the point of purchasing a new vent rib model for 2X the price with no tangible gain? I have no problem buying used. It may be frugal, but practical.

Any firearm I've sold has had the money go directly into something else firearm related. Any firearm I've sold has been one that I've grown out of for whatever reason. Contrary to your belief, while shopping for this I had considered several "tactically" modified 1100's, all of which sold for quite a bit more than their unmodified offerings.

There are millions of these things out there, and I'll reiterate what I alluded to before that this shotgun is far from irrevocably modified. It's just as easy (and only marginally more expensive) to turn this into a 30" bird gun as it is to chop it down.

Thanks for being the fun police of my thread, and I still cannot rationalize your points.

Sure it isn't an $800 gun with a $500 tactical light, but I guarantee it works just as well.

gremlin_rem1100_9829.jpg

photos by Oleg Volkvolkstudiologo.gif

It is also no longer an improved cylinder skeet gun, but I consider that a good thing.

ETA:

While we're hatin,' here's the '78 870 that the 1100 replaced. I broke even selling this one, and it went to a family member.

IMG_0604.jpg

This one was purchased with a 20" rifle sight 12ga 2-3/4" cylinder bore barrel.

Edited by Rick_a