Russian POSP Scope for S-.308

Hey fellas, I want to get a Russian POSP scope for my Saiga .308. The only trouble is that I don't know if I should get a 4X, 6X, or 8X, and what mm lens. My Saiga is a 22 incher with a non-converted wood stock. I know that the Ishmash scope mount I have is angled farther back than normal AK mounts to compensate for the longer sporter stock, as compared to the shorter AK buttstocks. So, I'm asking: what kind of scope do I get that will work with my unconverted S-.308, and where do I purchase said scope? Or, instead of going through all the trouble of finding a scope that works, should I just replace my current scope for one with a mill-dot reticle?

so much of what you want to know depends on what you want to shoot.

what kind of setup do you have currently? what's wrong with it?

i wouldn't go over 6x for magnification. the objective size is also going to depend on what/when you shoot. i don't see any need for a 50mm obj varmint-style scope when you're on a bench killing paper. iirc, the bigger lenses are for gather more light so if you do a lot shooting at dawn/dusk hours, go for a bigger one. as far as the mil-dot recticle, it seems like a bit much for my casual applications.

is your izmash mount the one with the rings built in?

let's talk...

My mount does have rings built in, I will be shooting at deer and elk. I'd like to get a scope with a reticle that has notches in the Y axis of it, just so that I know where to aim down range. See, I can't dial in the scope so that it shoots where I put the crosshairs (it shoots a little low) on account of the mount being so high above the bore. I'm speculating, but that's what I've gathered.

Maniac Jack... one thing you have to realize, is that RUSSIAN shooting styles are NOT like western shooting styles. what may be comfortable to you may not be to a Russian, and vice versa... if you have ALWAYS shot a rifle a certain way... you are USED TO IT... and its comfortable.. the russians have the same thing, only not the same way you shoot.. If you get a POSP scope and find its not like a standard scope when mounted on the saiga... the only thing I can say is GET USED TO IT..

Broaden your shooting horizons.. if you can shoot accurately with more than one shooting style, it will do nothing but make you a better overall shooter... Might take a little practice.. but in the long run.. you will benefit.

:smoke:

I am deffinitely open to new shooting styles.  I'd like to get a russian scope to see what thats all about.  I was just wondering if you can get a good cheek weld when using a POSP scope on a sporter stock.

The 4-power scopes have bullet drop compensators for 7.62x39, not sure about the 6x and 8x, but one of those is set for 7.62x54, which should be close to .308 for practical purposes

The standard russian siderail mounts put the scope above and left of the bore. If you're lucky you might get a point of your chin weld. :devil: unless you build some sort of pad on the stock. I love the russian optics, very clear, and the rangefinding reticle, but not the scope position. If you want a good cheekweld, look for one of the russian siderail low weavermounts. I got one of these and it just lets the objective of my leupold 3x9 clear the front sight block. Puts the scope right where we americans like 'em. Then you can use any type of standard scope, and the russian ones are available as straight tubes to be used with standard rings too. :eek: just keep your eyes open and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.