saiga .308 problem?

I'm new to the saiga rifles. I recently purchased a saiga-308 and noticed about a 1/8" gap between the boltcarrier and the front of the reciever/trunnion. I've fired about 10rds through it and it functioned fine and seemed on target. Hopefully you experts can shed some light on this problem. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my bulgarian/hungarians, but it seems like the bolt carrier should close completely. It does this with and without a cartridge loaded.

I don't remember mine having such a gap. I'd compare a fired case to a new one. If there isn't any significant lengthening or swelling in the case web, I wouldn't worry. If you reload however, don't full length size 'em.

Just checked. Mine has the same gap. If mine has gone this long without problems arising from it, yours should be fine. Oh, and any brasss that is going to be used in a semi-auto rifle should ALWAYS be full-length sized (using a small base die, that is).

I'm sorry, I should have specified.

Any case that is: a ) safe to be reloaded, and b ) going to be used in a semi-automatic rifle, should always be resized with a small base die.

Is that better RooK? ; )

Edited by Tokageko

I don't notice any gap between the bolt carrier and the front receiver at all. It should close all the way. If you're talking about that *tiny* gap, that is normal. Even my Romanian AK (SAR-1) has a very small gap. The rotating bolt locks into the receiver anyway. AKs are cool like that. No worries.

Edited by Maniac Jack
  • 2 weeks later...

hi I am new to the forum. your "problem" is not a problem if you remove the top cover off you will see that the bolt carrier touches the trunnion on the left side the russians started doing this on the AK-74's to increase accuracy hope this helps

• 1 year later...