Bought a pretty mauser Broom handle yesterday

I hardy post on this site any more because i still have my Saiga 12 however have moved on to other purchases 45 guns since.

Bought/ won this off Gun Broker yesterday, Pretty:

Mauser Broomhandle C96 caliber 7.63MM. The barrel is marked Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf N the right side of the receiver is marked Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf A Neckar. On the left side barrel is the crown over U proof mark. There is another proof mark on the right side of the barrel but it is to faint to read. The serial number on this gun is 363260. All exterior parts have matching serial numbers. This gun has a serial number in the range of the Standard Wartime Commercial. The gun has the NS marking on the back of the hammer.The sights are graduated from 50 to 1000 meters. This arm was refurbished by the Mentor Arms Company of Mentor Ohio. Sold with this arm is all the associated paperwork that came with the gun. This includes the original warranty, take down guide, safety instructions, and sales catalog. The company's paper work provides the following information. The barrels are relined.The coil springs,any worn parts were replaced. The finish on the gun has been redone using flat grinders and surface grinder. The company nitre blued the parts that were finish that way on the original and they pickle grayed that same parts as on the original. New grips have been installed. There are only the slightest of handling marks on the gun since it was refinished. The paper work states that the gun was test fired at the factory. I have the test target that was shipped

with the gun and has the guns serial number on it

Mauser Broomhandle C96 caliber 7.63MM. The barrel is marked Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf N the right side of the receiver is marked Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf A Neckar. On the left side barrel is the crown over U proof mark. There is another proof mark on the right side of the barrel but it is to faint to read. The serial number on this gun is 363260. All exterior parts have matching serial numbers. This gun has a serial number in the range of the Standard Wartime Commercial. The gun has the NS marking on the back of the hammer.The sights are graduated from 50 to 1000 meters. This arm was refurbished by the Mentor Arms Company of Mentor Ohio. Sold with this arm is all the associated paperwork that came with the gun. This includes the original warranty, take down guide, safety instructions, and sales catalog. The company

Was only $900 with shipping and fee.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/187210000/187210730/pix1366815750.jpg' alt='pix1366815750.jpg'>

LINK

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187210730

I'd like to have one of those (preferably in 9mm), but isn't the price a bit steep for a refinished gun ?

Brgds, A

Not really. A weapon in similar condition, all original, could readily fetch more than twice that.

Mine was made quite a bit later, and while all original, is not in good shape. Serial number 671***, all original matching parts, I bought it "broken" for a couple hundred bucks; all that was wrong with it mechanically was that the sear had slipped out of the sear arm. Knowing nothing about the C96 at the time, it took me all of a few minutes to figure out how to disassemble and fix the pistol. That being said, there is almost no discernible rifling in the barrel and it keyholes at five feet. It is in piss-poor cosmetic condition, although what finish remains is all original. There is a fair amount of pitting on the outside of the barrel and frame, but I carefully removed all the surface rust after I purchased it. All the internal parts are rust-free, unpitted and in fine shape. At some point this will become a parts gun to keep another pistol in working order.

Have fun learning about your new pistol! A helpful hint to start with; use a pistol cartridge (7.63 mauser or 9mm both work great) to depress the button to release the magazine floorplate. You have to get the follower out of the way to pull the guts out of the frame. That's a fine-looking pistol, and you should have many years of enjoyment out of it. Because 7.63 Mauser is fairly expensive, I purchase a lot of reloadable 7.62x25 (do not directly feed this to the pistol - it is dimensionally almost identical, but too powerful for the C96 action), expend it in one of my other pistols, collect the brass, resize it and load it to 7.63 Mauser specifications - I just use a silver-colored primer on these loads to keep them separate from my Tokarev loads.

Have fun with your new pistol. They're a fun piece of living history.

I already have an Astra M700 which is a spanish version Broom Handle but made completely diferent.

(Not my pic.) Has a side plate that comes off to get to the mechnism. It is also 7.62 Mauser. I have about 100 rounds.

mobile01-1a42ff76174c8a07f812f2720a616c86.jpg

Edited by rogertc1