My .308 w/ target

200m range, headshots are aussie, chest are wolf 150.

The stock is from ATi. I got it at a gunshow for $25 and threw the handguards away, they're crap anyway. I also have one on my Romak3. The scope is a POSP 6x42 from Kalinka optics.

has any one else had problems with south african sticking in chamber? i just got some it seemed too shoot ok from my siaga but in my m1a it would only shoot first shoot and would not feed next round it did this 3 times and on the 3rd shot i could not even get the emty case to eject i finaly got it out when i got home with alot of elbow grease. i thought i screwed something up when i cleaned my rifle and clips maybe its just the ammo????

yeah south african sticks in my remington 700 but it works fine in my saiga. it was really bad in the 700--and with a short bolt you can get almost no leverage to get it out. it didnt stick as much when i tumbled the cases with a whole bunch of empty 45's, jsut so that they rubbed into eachother more and got some of the oils off. also, south african i think has softer brass, so it expands more causing it to stick in some tighter chamber rifles. try austrailian or, if you can find it, portuguese. <---really good stuff. 1/4 MOA out of my 700.

yeah, PG conversion is done. When diong the conversion and using this stock, the trigger guard has to be cut and welded onto the mag release instead of tucking it under or there will be a 1/8" gap between the reciever and stock.

Um... I think I just read something unsettling there about tumbling loaded ammo.

I would like to caution everyone that tumbling loaded ammunition can be dangerous. The reason for this is that some types of smokeless powder are coated with a substance that reduces the rate it burns at. When you tumble loaded ammunition, there is a chance that the detterant coating can be rubbed off as the granules of powder tumble against each other.

This would be a bad thing because it would increase the burning rate of the powder, possibly causing an unsafe increase in chamber pressure. This isn't neccessarily going to be the case, but I would still advise against it as general practice. Don't take any stupid chances. It's just not worth it.

thanks for the tip tokageko--i didnt know about the powder coating. Ill stick to not using ammo that sticks. But anyways, wouldnt the powder thing not make sense with military ammo?? Because the ammo is gonna be shaking and moving around all th time in the field, or any kind of transport. Recoil could especially do that--bad news with an automatic weapon maybe??? i dunno...

The level of vibration created by tumbling machines is much greater than anything you're going to experience in the field, and it lasts a lot longer. Together, those two reasons make the jostling and such caused by handling or recoil neglegible.

I'll see if I can find out anything useful about why the brass might be sticking.

For Tokageko, the individual whose words are on your signature is truly operating in a delusional world. I don't have any unique insights but the monstrous crime surges experienced by the UK and Australia following gun bans should but will not prove to the unthinking that banning guns just doesn't work even if you were to overlook the injustice involved. But then, I'm "preaching to the choir".

Too bad that Pam doesn't realize that a gun ban will make her children's world less rather than more safe. Sad that people have these views. Don

Edited by Harpoon

Hmmm... Went out again today and shot for groups @100m. With Aussie I put 5 shots in 4". Not too great. With Wolf I put 4 shots in a 1 inch exact diamond and the fifth was three inches low left. The rest of the groups with wolf were so-so, averaging 2-3" not counting flyers.

After today I have decided that I have a good plinker with rack grade ammo and pretty accurate with expensive stuff. I bought a box of Federal XP2 powerpoint 150gr and managed a 3 shot group of 7/8".

My Romak is still king in my semiauto closet.

Edited by danny boy

From out guestbook on this site:

I have read this website and it makes me sick! Why do you want these things to be legal? Just so you can have some fun, or are you compensating for something? These assault guns are for mass murderers only. I don't understand how all guns didn't get banned after Columbine. Doesn't anybody care about those children? Two kids bought assault guns and killed all those people, and there are people here still hoping that these stay legal for anyone to own? Guns should only be for the police or army, not anyone, and especially not children! And I can't believe that some of you want to make the gun more deadly by modifying it. This country is in a sad state these days. Please stop the madness so my children can grow up in a safe world.

Pam (mother of 2)

The ignorance in that paragraph is so thick i could cut it with my dremel!

Went again today with More Wolf, more Aussie and some portugese I got. Very strange results.

I tried the Portugese first and was disappointing. 5 Shot group 3.5", Aussie did 3.25". I put it away and fired some other rifles, then came back and tried Wolf. 1.5" 5 shot group! Loaded another 5 and same thing! Reloaded with Portugese and again 4" group, while Aussie got 3" the second time. I shot a total of 40 rds of wolf and never any bigger than 2.5". My rifle apparently likes the lacquer cased wolf better than the brass cased surplus!

On a side note, I mangled a portugese round so I stuck it in the targe at 100m and shot it with my Romak3. Took 4 shots but hit it. It blew a 4" hole in the backstop.

Tumbling loaded ammo will not do anything to the powder. The deturrent coatings on gunpowder are not just sitting on the surface like the sugar is on a powdered sugar doughnut. They are chemically bonded to the surface of the gunpowder. The powder you see coming off of gunpowder is the powdered graphite which the gunpowder is tumbled in as the last step in the manufacturing process.

How in the world are you going to tumble the deturrent coating off of gunpowder if every granule is coated with graphite?

nice groups. Since I did my conversion my groups got worse on my 308. The 223 is excellent. I attribute this to the Tapco trigger on the 308, I know this will sound strange but the trigger on the 308 is so light I have not adjusted to it yet, it goes off at 2 lb on my trigger guage, on a bolt gun I strive for a trigger pull of 2 lb, I have to settle down to a semi auto light trigger. I'am not complaining it's pretty nice.