:eek:

Just got this in an email from one of my dad's girlfriends...Don't know how true it is or if it's already been all over but .....wow.

And here I thought all their lead went into toys....................................

A guy came into the PD the other day to ask a favor.

He had a S&W 629 (44 Mag.) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.

He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.

When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw... Bet he never uses Chinese made Ammo again!

post-1293-069901000 1284005935_thumb.jpg

post-1293-001340500 1284005946_thumb.jpg

post-1293-034166600 1284005955_thumb.jpg

post-1293-003608000 1284005968_thumb.jpg

:blink:

• Like 1

Don't know if it's a genuine report, but Holy Cow!

I have been to China, have observed their manufacturing and safety practices, and I have no reason to doubt the account.

Some advice for anyone considering a visit to China:

1: Bring Neosporin, Clorox wipes, plenty of Band - Aids, a personal first aid kit, a respirator, and HAND SANITIZER.

2. Don't get sick in China. If you do, immediately book a flight to Singapore, Taipei, Thailand, or Hong Kong. Trust me on this one,

3. No matter how much your friends tease you, or attempt to convince you otherwise, DON'T share food off a common plate. Guard your plate jealously, and tell American and European Hippie food sharers to go to hell! You WILL get ill if you eat off the common plate,

4. ALL of the Karaoke places are whorehouses...., and all of the girls (and boys) are for sale. Same goes for "legtimate" massage services in major hotels. Don't bite, Chinese hygiene absolutely sucks.

5. Nightclubs, nightlife.... see above. Sorry.

6. If you see someone being chased down in the street and beaten by well dressed Chinese, do not interfere. They are secret police, and they will take exception to interference.

7. You are being watched, listened to, spied upon. Accept it, embrace it, and enjoy your stay.

8. If you meet a kindly Chinese stranger who takes a keen interest in you, and offers to show you around town, they are queer, a scammer, or with Chinese Intelligence, or all of the above. Makes no difference. Be polite, and ignore.

9. Real Chinese soldiers hate you and don't want to have their pictures taken with you, or at all.

10. Chinese have absolutely no health insurance, or safety net and beggars (often) have no hands, feet, legs, and get used to the smell and sight of gangrene. Really.

11. We are absolutely not competing for the same food supply. Be absolutely confident about this.

12.According to firsthand accounts(Dutch Embassy Personnel),public executions for "common crimes" take place in soccer stadiums. The family is billed for ammo costs.

Sorry to go on a tangent with this, but I have seen some of this for myself, and have no reason to doubt the rest.

Mike

• Like 2

It could be Chinese ammo, but my guess is, reloads gone wrong. I'm not aware of any currently available brand ammo that is even made in China, especially .44 mag. And I look at a bunch of ammo websites all the time. If ATG don't have it, who the hell does? :lolol: There might be Chinese .44mag out there though, who knows. But most likely it looks like someone fucked up reloading with maybe too big of a powder charge or something, and the story got changed somewhere along the lines. Either way cool post and just goes to show, watch out for junk ammo or crap reloads!

Who knows :huh:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I saw this photo on crazy shit dot com about a year or so ago, so that's another clue that the e-mail may just be a modified story.

EDIT2: Just looked it up, yeah, they had it on their site on 12/14/09. I'd post the link but their site's full of popups and shit.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

All I know is that must have been one big ass bang to rip through both adjoining cylinders and detonate those two rounds also. The bullet didn't move in the left side but holy shit! Whoever was holding on to that was lucky if they didn't get hurt bad.

These pictures and this story have been floating around for years. It comes up every 3-6 months over at smith and wesson forums.

Generally the consensus is that this was a mishap due to handloaded .44mag ammo that was at least double charged. Chain firing in a revolver is no fun, for sure, but realize that double charges do bad things to guns, not just Magnum Revolvers.

glock03kaboom.jpg

PicG-g22boom.jpg

glock4.jpg

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

ghkb41.jpg

• Like 1

Poorly reloaded ammo or poorly made gun.

Importation of Chinese ammo has been off the table since the clinton years, so if it's Chinese ammo it's old or illegally imported.

There's a similarly blown up revolver at the local range, hanging on the wall. Factory ammunition in a piece of shit no-name revolver, not a .44 mag, just a .38. The guy was surprisingly unhurt, but the damage pattern is almost identical. He gave it to the range to hang up as a reminder to not buy shitty $150 revolvers.

• Like 1

That's crazy shit right there. I've seen something similar to the glock happen. It was a G23, looked to be 2nd gen. But, I've never seen that happen to a revolver. To be honest, I wish there had been video footage, so you could see exactly what was going down as it happened.

Damn that Glock erupton looks like it was fucking painful. :cryss: Looks like another fool tried to use soft lead bullets....ouch. Only issue I ever had with my G-17 and hand loads was a few cases getting caught and were FTL and FTE because they were expanded too far and got stuck in the chamber. In fact those were the only jams I've ever had with it.

why is there no apparent damage to the barrel?

It looks like the explosion didn't make it far enough to damage the barrel as bad as the cylinder.

These pictures and this story have been floating around for years. It comes up every 3-6 months over at smith and wesson forums.

Generally the consensus is that this was a mishap due to handloaded .44mag ammo that was at least double charged. Chain firing in a revolver is no fun, for sure, but realize that double charges do bad things to guns, not just Magnum Revolvers.

glock03kaboom.jpg

PicG-g22boom.jpg

glock4.jpg

glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

ghkb41.jpg

Bad things indeed.

Those above photos are the ones Glock haters love to post (no, not you) with the "Glocks are hand grenades!!" bullshit. They like to leave out the fact that 99% of those types of photos are due to operator error; super hot reloads or shooting bare lead bullets down the factory Glock barrel. Two things that are specifically frowned upon if they'd bother to read.

I have seen this picture before. a few years ago. The story was from overseas, Europe somewhere. The guy had decided to tumble clean some reloaded ammo. He left the tumbler running for a weekend. The first shot blew the revolver. When the ammo was broken down the powder had turned into dust. I cant confirm any of this but I also dont know of any Chinese 44 Mag ammo. The bullet looks like an XTP.

My brother borrowed an ammo box from me to carry to the range. When he brought it back he told me his friend had blown up a S&W M19 with his handloads. Later when I dumped the box out I found half a cylinder. I keep it on my reloading bench to remind me to be careful. His friend admitted he was distracted by his family when he was reloading.

I have seen this picture before. a few years ago. The story was from overseas, Europe somewhere. The guy had decided to tumble clean some reloaded ammo. He left the tumbler running for a weekend. The first shot blew the revolver. When the ammo was broken down the powder had turned into dust. I cant confirm any of this but I also dont know of any Chinese 44 Mag ammo. The bullet looks like an XTP.

My brother borrowed an ammo box from me to carry to the range. When he brought it back he told me his friend had blown up a S&W M19 with his handloads. Later when I dumped the box out I found half a cylinder. I keep it on my reloading bench to remind me to be careful. His friend admitted he was distracted by his family when he was reloading.

I don't believe this tumbler explanation either. Here's a link to an experiment for rounds tumbled for 200 hours with microscopic photographs of the powder. Caution: Photo heavy thread.

The most probable explanation is that this revolver was the recipient of a Double load, or powder mix up that caused the catastrophic failure.

Bottom line: beware of internet chain mythology. Question everything, because half truths are everywhere.

Edited by rjrivero
  • Like 2

Bottom line: beware of internet chain mythology. Question everything, because half truths are everywhere.

The first tell tale sign that an internet story is total

bullshit is when the format looks like this. I don't

know why, because e-mail formatting has not

looked like this in over a decade, but for some

reason internet chain e-mails are always written

like this. Maybe because they are intended to be

read by old people, who still have a Packard Bell

486 with a 640x480 screen resolution. Either way,

I am glad they are written like this, because I

instantly know that the truncated, poorly formatted

lines I am about to read are total bullshit.

>> It's even worse

>> When they write them like this

• Like 2