Best current deal on 7.62x39 Saiga?

I'd been out of the loop for a while with other projects and recent financial troubles, but I'm glad to report that now I've been gainfully employed for almost a year and actually have the cash to finally start making some purchases I'd been putting off.

My project of the 20" Saiga conversion with standard stock seems to be pretty much finished (still have to sight in the scope and install the backup red dot) so I was looking forward to my next Saiga project. For this I will be doing a full out conversion of a 16" Saiga. Now when I initially bought my Saiga 20" the base price was $260 and it was out the door for about $285 (I still have the receipt). Yeah, that was a long time ago. I'm looking around and seeing some Saigas going for about $400. Man, that really takes part of the appeal away from this.

My question is; What's currently the best deal on a 7.62x39 Saiga 16? I'm not even sure who sells them at this point (like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while). I have a pretty good FFL dealer who only charges $25, but I wanted to bring it in as cheap as possible so I'd be looking at price plus shipping.

Any thoughts?

With the current average cost of IZ-132's, if I were you, I'd wait for K-Var to have their 10/10/10 sale. There's a very good chance that SGL21 rifles will be included; they were last year, and sold for ~$500, (I bought one last year ;) ).

If you want your 16" 7.62x39 Saiga to be largely mil-spec right out of the box, (with no doubts about magwell dimples, military non-stepped chambers, threaded barrels etc), that's the model to go with, imo.

I'm hopin that they include the SGL31 in this year's sale.

I agree with P-A. SGL's are top notch. Ive wasted alot of money buying parts I thought I wanted and in the end, I brought it back to its origional look, pretty much how the SGL's look - the gas block cleaning rod holder. Spent about $900 all together, gun included. Which right now you can get an SGL for $699. from KVAR. And I didnt even get top quality parts like the SGL's come with. But Now that I know, Ill be getting another on 10/10/10 if KVAR is awesome enough to have another spendifferous sale like that. I wasnt aware of the last one and am alil sore about it. But, you get into the game when you get into the game so now I know, and knowing is half the battle.....GI JOE!!!!

cvasqu03:> I would try to sell or trade off the retarded 20"er as its about as near useless a form factor as they come. That way you would have enough $$$ on hand to take advantage of upcoming sales. Good Luck and stay safe!

Well, fortunately, money is no longer a problem (did I mention I LOVE my new job?)

I really like my 20" conversion, but I did it for a reason. Of course back when I bought it there was no such thing as a 16" saiga yet.

Centerfire has them, ClassicArms, and Mississippi AA (board sponsor) had them on sale for $299 about a month ago.

Maybe Peach State Guns also... thats where I got my Saiga 545 back in Feb for $329... :killer:

Al

Thanks, I checked these out. The best deal seems to be Centerfire at $324 but they're out of stock. It's not bad but I'd really prefer to pay $300 or less. Maybe I'll wait to see what happens on 10/10