Good deal or should I keep lookin?

Hello forum,

I am about to order some 223/5.56 and have a price for some cheap surplus silver bear 62gr hp...my rifle likes the 62 hp's...shipped cost is $230 per 1,000...should I wait and look at some shows that are coming near or just buy the ammo? Also what is the difference in silver and brown, will they both store well? Is one really cleaner than the other? Any info is helpful...thanks.

Edited by DJ Big Dog

Cabelas has russian ammo "herders" (Same as silver bear, wolf, and tula) for $3.99 a box. $199.50 for 1000. Currently; $20 off sale for order of $150 or more. Brings price down to $179.50. Add $16.95 for shipping. Total price is $196.45 (SHIPPED). It comes in 55 grain FMJ or HP and 62 grain FMJ or HP. Here's the cabelas link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0081757217667a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&nyr=1&Ne=46&Ntt=.223+rem.+ammo&Ntk=Products&N=47&Nty=1

Prices for .223 and other ammo isn't that bad at all, if you know where to look. And NO, gun shows are not the place to buy ammo. But there are some people who won't order over the internet, so they have to deal with gun shows and rip off places. Walmart has good brass ammo in .223 for about $8 a box. Actually, if I want BRASS cased ammo, because the steel stuff isn't always good in an AR15, I get PMC Bronze. .223 55grain FMJ. Cabelas has it for $6.49 a box. Anyway, just look around. Cheaper than dirt has the tula 55 grain FMJ on sale for $3.95 a box. That's $197.50 for 1000 (SHIPPED). But if you like the hollow point stuff and the 62 grain, then Herters is some really good shooting stuff. I live about an hour from Cabelas, so shipping isn't anything. (I go that direction anyway.) But $196.45 shipped for your HP 62 grain is about the best you will find right now. If you don't order by Sept 14th, the $20 off disappears, so the price would still be $217.50 for it shipped. But cabelas always has one of the russian ammos on sale for $3.99 a box. I'm like you, I like the 62 grain and I like the HP. However, I shoot a lot of 55grain FMJ. good luck.

Edited by christcorp

You can find Golden Tiger cheap as well. 55gr FMJBT = $180 + $11 s/h for 1000 rounds. $230 is not outrageous, but you can find it cheaper if you look hard enough.

You know if you order 38 boxes from Cabelas and get your Brother-in-Law (Grandmother/Neighbor/Whoever) to order 38 boxes for you, then you end up with 1420 rounds for 19.5 cents per round as opposed to 19.6 cents per round ordering 50 boxes yourself. I knew all those Super Mom coupon shopping / bulk buying videos I watched on youtube would come in handy one day!

Dallas

Edited by thunderheart