Combat rations from 'round the world

The New York Times is running an interactive page with several different ration packs from armies around the world.

ration-skorea.jpgSouth Korea

Sautéed kimchi, ham fried rice, flavored sausage, white beans and sauce, almond cake, and chocolate candy.

ration-aus.jpgAustralia

Barbecue beef, chicken Italiano, tuna over dried tomato and basil, creamy chicken soup, two fruits diced in syrup, Australian cheddar cheese, raspberry fruit grains, candy chocolates, fruit bar, apricot coconut bar, tropical fruit bar, chocolate bar, tropical beverage powder, chocolate drink powder, sweet biscuit, cream biscuit, Vegemite, musk flavor candy, plum fruit spread, tea bags, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, instant coffee, ketchup, salt, pepper, chewing gum, scouring sponge, matches.

See the rest of the article at the NY Times

. . and yes, you can leave it to the French to feed their soldiers pâté and other hors d'oeuvres.

• Like 2

Ironic while I am eating a small brown foil bag of POTATO STICKS. Before that I had a CARMEL APPLE RANGER BAR. (not yelling, it's how it is written on the bag) Cant beat the MRE snacks..

HAHA me too, except I just finished the deliciousness that is the Sloppy Joe MRE.

Some people may think that MRE's are nasty but they are awesome, especially when you live in an area not visited by the snow plow after a nice snow storm... beats going hungry. :Johnboy:

• Like 1

Some people may think that MRE's are nasty but they are awesome

They're not awesome after they're all you eat for months at a time (breakfast, lunch and dinner). We'd get a case issued to us every 4 days. Yum Yum NOT NOT

I hate Uncle Sam for that ( I used to think they were awesome, too, but now they're ruined for me )

• Like 1

from the movie Dr. Strangelove:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major T. J. "King" Kong: Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

• Like 1

They're not awesome after they're all you eat for months at a time (breakfast, lunch and dinner). We'd get a case issued to us every 4 days. Yum Yum NOT NOT

I hate Uncle Sam for that ( I used to think they were awesome, too, but now they're ruined for me )

I must admit, I've never eaten MRE's day in and day out, I guess that's Air Force for you lol.

I traded a case of '90's era MREs to some Dutch marines in Bosnia-Herzegovina for five cases of French rations. I thought I was taking advantage of them until I tried to eat the French stuff. Those crazy Dutchmen probably laughed all the way back to their camp, because the French crap made our Omelet with Ham taste like a gourmet meal. I remember liver paste, some sort of stuffed ham abortion and cheese that the ants wouldn't touch. I traded the rest of them to a bunch of Seabees who were helping us clear minefields. I haven't tasted the latest variations, but I used to love my '90's MREs!

Regards,

Sapper

Its the aftertaste... I swear, after just eating MREs for a while they all taste the same. I think its the preservatives or the packaging or something that does it.

Denmark's looks absolutely atrocious. I think I flushed something more appetizing a few minutes ago.

And what's with all these scrubby sponges? I thought the point of an MRE was you didn't need a plate? Maybe that's just the ones I've had.