US PALM AK30 Magazine

After positive reviews from Juggernaut, I decided to pick up two AK30 magazines from US Palm. I will edit this post this weekend when I have some time to field test the two units in the rugged Idaho backwoods.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

-Despite what I had heard on other boards these units appear to be incredibly solid.

-They Are much lighter than the Bulgarian ((10)) magazines, which may or may not be a positive due to the difference in reinforcement.

-After holding one upside down and dropping it on my kitchen floor, I can say that the rumors regarding these things breaking on carpet are likely false.

-The feedlips are thicker than I thought they would be, but do not appear to be lined with steel. I will cut one in half after field testing it to be sure. The feedlips might be thick enough so that lining will not be an issue.

-The lock up areas have a thin sheet of metal over plastic to prevent wear. I will test these as well.

-The spring is overly tense. The tension reminds me of some of the first run Korean Glock magazines. This might not be an issue after the magazines are broken in, but again I will test this as well.

-As I mentioned in other threads on other forums, the US Palm logo looks really close to the Nazi Afrika Korps symbol. Since members of my family died fighting those Euro-trash pigs, I dont find this similarity funny or cute. HOWEVER, this might be unintentional, so I will not make more of an issue of it than needs to be made.

-There are differences between the form factor US Palm is using in their plastic follower and that of the majority of the Comm Block followers I am used to. I will post pictures this weekend of a comparison.

Overall, my initial expectations were exceeded by these units. If they can survive the Idaho wilderness I will give it the coveted "BigSal Thumbs Up". If it fails, it will receive the less desirable "Thumbs Down".

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 9
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After positive reviews from Juggernaut, I decided to pick up two AK30 magazines from US Palm. I will edit this post this weekend when I have some time to field test the two units in the rugged Idaho b

TEST 5 RESULTS and an Open Letter to US-Palm (Part 3 of 3)   Methodology: after magazines were cleaned, they were loaded with 30 rounds of Yugo Surplus. Magazines were each placed in magwell and ha

Ill post more after the field test, but heres one for ya Beef!!!

Posted Images

Who has stolen BigSal's account?

:lolol:

...it is gettin close to harvest :smoke:

:lolol:

The Tests I would like to perform tomorrow:

-Spring Tension tests (I will Depress the spring in the magazine 600 times, and examine the tension between each 100 depressions)

-Lock-up Area wear test (I will lock up each magazine 600 times)

-K-Var style Drop Test in a WASR or some other inexpensive POS (loaded and unloaded).

-20 yard throw

-10 foot drop, loaded, feedlips down

-Tests will also be performed on new in wrapper current generation Bulgarian ((10)) magazines as well as Ribbed Romanian Steel mags and Chinese Flat Backs.

-Unlike other tests, I will use controls in order to achieve even distribution of force.

-7 year old test. I will finally give the magazine to my 7 year old and see if he can destroy it with a hammer.

After all tests are completed, I will dissect the magazines, cutting them in half. I will also put the feedlips to the torch and see if there is any lining inside.

NOTE: I do not have access to Full Auto Rifles, so I cannot do any FA work. HOWEVER, member KMFDM over on theakforum.net has already put the AK30's through significant FA testing. I dont think I could improve on his methodology.

Please let me know if there are any other tests you guys want to have me do to these things!

-Sal :smoke:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 2

One other Note, I have several reasons for testing these magazines:

-They have received extremely good reviews on controlled forums (such as ar15.com and Warriortalk.com). However these forums tend to prostitute themselves out to those companies which ether sponsor their site and/or their owners have a financial interest in.

-They have received uniformly negative reviews on theakforum.net where several users have conducted what seem to be fair and unbiased tests of the product.

-The units have stirred up more than their fair share of controversy here on Saiga Forums due to the lack of any tests what-so-ever being posted here. My intention is to wade through all the bullshit, and find out if these things can pass field testing for use by a typical Idahoan (i.e. me).

I will photograph the results so there can be no allegation of bias.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 3

I was looking at their website just now, and they do look pretty stout, but then again, i have to agree with Nalioth and agree that the good 'ol steel kommie mags are pretty hard to beat! BTW, what with all the holes in their followers? I thought that was kinda odd; maybe quick drainage incase it got submerged in water or something, who knows...

Edited by RoughRider666
  • Like 1

I was looking at their website just now, and they do look pretty stout, but then again, i have to agree with Nalioth and agree that the good 'ol steel kommie mags are pretty hard to beat! BTW, what with all the holes in their followers? I thought that was kinda odd; maybe quick drainage incase it got submerged in water or something, who knows...

they are sold as a solid body magazine which does not require being taken apart for a cleaning. the holes are for easier cleaning.

glad to see this in the works bigsal!

• Like 1

I went to their website, and these mags seem like they're pretty damn good.

Gee, d'ya think?

Gee, love the fucking sarcasm, never gets old :lolol:

Stick around for a bit....:rolleyes:

I went to their website, and these mags seem like they're pretty damn good.

Gee, d'ya think?

Gee, love the fucking sarcasm, never gets old :lolol:

Stick around for a bit....:rolleyes:

Haha, I was being sarcastic too. Our buddy Nalioth always has sarcastic replies, but each to their own, right?

• Like 1

NOTE: Tests have been moved to Sunday (I could not find a doner WASR to use until then...)

Oh, don't worry. I'll find a way to allege bias just because you said that. :V

Eager to see the results. :smoke:

SG:> The sad thing is, if the review turns out poorly for the mags, I have no doubt my name and methodology will be dragged through the mud by the company and their gaggle of sycophants and partners. I am however no stranger to controversy. :haha:

I know I have been very pleased with mine... but then again, I "Ride for the Brand" so to speak....

Juggernaut:> this is why a review needs to be done by an objective third party. I am however suprised by how tough these little fuckers are. I will have a more justified opinion on Sunday evening.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 2

Hey Sal, you have any of those polish radom mags to toss in the test as well?

Actually yes! However I plan on using the ACTUAL Polish military grade mags (not the units which lacked steel in the front lock-up area). I have two that I am running in tomorrows tests. Tonight I am conducting the spring tests, so if everyone checks this thread around 9:30PM Pacific Time I should have something up for everyone to look at until tomorrow evening.

:smoke:

Juggernaut:> this is why a review needs to be done by an objective third party. I am however suprised by how tough these little fuckers are. I will have a more justified opinion on Sunday evening.

I hope that the results I have shared with you at least show my intentions of integrity....

I hope that the results I have shared with you at least show my intentions of integrity....

I believe that you are an honest guy Juggernaut, I mean you're a regular Charley-Church for gods sake! The issue is perception and conflict of interest. No one can question that I am not involved in any way with US Palm.

Also, I have a more complete collection of New, Mint and Obscure magazines for testing purposes than a number of others who have run tests on the AK30 on other forums. Thus the heavy burden falls on me... :haha: Also I need an excuse to throw around some mags and get outa the house and into the beautiful Idaho wilderness tomorrow!!! :lolol:

Edited by bigsal

The Contenders

Two New in Wrapper US Palm AK30 magazines, Two Bulgarian ((10)) magazines still in the "wrapper" as sent to me by Sportsmans Guide Inc.

img1083p.jpg

One Polish Slabside. Metal reinforcements in the two front lock up areas. Plastic body. Plastic follower. Out of original package, but never used.

One Chinese "flatback" magazine. Metal body, metal follower. Purchased from AIM Surplus, never used.

One Russian Ribbed magazine. Heavyly used and abused. Three arsenal stamps on it, so its been around.

img1084ar.jpg

Weights measurements and spring tests to occur in the next hour... stay tuned!

• Like 1

PRE-TEST A:

After purchasing new member Sonny Puzikas's DVD, I realized AK magazines can be used as bottle openers. Before I weigh and measure these fuckers, I wanted to get in some drinking, THUS THE BIGSAL BEER-TEST IS BORN!

img1086e.jpg

METHODOLOGY: Feedlips strength is tested on beer bottle caps. AK30 and ((10)) are used.

img1087cy.jpg

RESULTS: Both magazines can be used as bottle openers with success. I will repeat the process 12 times tonight in order to make sure the results were not an anomaly.

img1088gd.jpg

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 3