Rear Iron Sight Removal WITHOUT a Dremel

I purchased the Chaos extended quad rail for my Saiga-12, and needed to remove the rear iron sight to mount it. The instructions state, "Remove rear iron sight by driving it out from the side... If you are having to apply too much force and the sight will not move... you will require a Dremel with a cutoff wheel." I was indeed unable to remove the rear sight with only a hammer, vise, and punch set. Believe me when I say I tried. I pounded on it for 2 hours straight (so to speak). Then, I decided to think outside the box. Instead of using a dremel (which I don't have) I decided to use a simple hand saw.

This is the cut I needed to make.

post-26757-029189800 1284252302_thumb.jpg

After sawing for 5 minutes.

post-26757-074717500 1284252358_thumb.jpg

After sawing for 10 minutes I was able to tap the little bugger out with very little effort.

post-26757-034778300 1284252518_thumb.jpg

End result.

post-26757-030370700 1284252611_thumb.jpg

End result.

post-26757-086500700 1284252641_thumb.jpg

These are the tools I used.

post-26757-083200300 1284252728_thumb.jpg

I'll be happy if this can help at least one person. Have a great Air Force day!

Edited by Dirty88
  • Like 5

I purchased the Chaos extended quad rail for my Saiga-12, and needed to remove the rear iron sight to mount it. The instructions state, "Remove rear iron sight by driving it out from the side... If you are having to apply too much force and the sight will not move... you will require a Dremel with a cutoff wheel." I was indeed unable to remove the rear sight with only a hammer, vise, and punch set. Believe me when I say I tried. I pounded on it for 2 hours straight (so to speak). Then, I decided to think outside the box. Instead of using a dremel (which I don't have) I decided to use a simple hand saw...

...I'll be happy if this can help at least one person. Have a great Air Force day!

Nice "hand tools only" technique. Necessity is the mother of invention. I was able to drive my rear sight out, (to install Krebs irons), with a 5lb shop hammer and a punch, without cutting it.

Also, thank you for your service. I'm an AF vet myself. :beer:

your tips were greatly appreciated!

i banged the hell out of the rear sight trying to remove it and it wouldn't budge!

the hacksaw method works great!

sure it takes longer than a dremel but there is NO chance for error!

thanks to your suggestions i was able to install my Krebs Battle sights with NO effort!

Thanks!

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys (and gals if y'all posted)! I really appreciate it.

And I'm really happy this helped you, CRUCIFIED (= I knew I had to post this when I couldn't find any easy methods online (could of been that I didn't look hard enough). Nevertheless, I'm happy to help (=

A little tip... if you are having no luck trying to remove the rear sight by using a punch and hammer, try do the same from the other side of the rear sight. Believe it or not these things will move in one direction, but not so much in the other. B)

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tried to get mine off with: rubber mallet, then flat screw driver with metal hammer, then metal hammer with wedge-the sucker would not budge, followed the cut diagraham in this thread with a dremel followed by the screw driver with metal hammer and it came off easily. Thanks for the tips.