Do It Yourself.........AGP Magazines

I ordered 5 DIY mags from AGP on Monday and got them on Friday. All I had to do was remove some material from the inner guides where the brass of the shell slides. I tried the razor blade thing and no luck. It did work but was very slow only because the material is very TOUGH. All of the magazines are 10 round capacity.

I did have one minor mishap. It was my fault. I over tightened one screw and the screw head twisted off. I was a little surprised at how strong this material held onto the screw. No problem though as I just unscrewed one side of the magazine from the other and unscrewed the headless screw with a pair of pliers. Easy... very easy.

I switched over to a Dremel with a lawn mower blade sharpener bit. It is excellent because it has a large surface area to use. The Dremel bit does not shave off material its spinning so fast it causes the material to "bead up" almost like melting it. This "beaded" material is easily removed with the razor and some sand paper.

As far as how much to remove that is the secret. If you look at the magazine before you remove any material you will notice that their are some "dots" along that inner rib. As long as you bring the level of the material down to the level of these "dots" (its actually mold marks) you will have a successful DIY mag session.

All five of my mags were done this way and all five have free moving followers and no binding whatsoever. The amount of material that you remove is a very, very small amount. I do not have any side to side play at all. I oiled each magazine spring with and oil rag and wiped down the interior of each mag to remove any stray removed material.

I loaded each magazine to full capacity with a staggered selection of high and low brass. Some slugs, buck, high brass bird shot and low brass bird shot of 5 different makes. They were Remington, Winchester, Sellior and Bellot, Federal and Rio. All of it fed perfectly by hand as I pushed each shell out with my thumb. No problems.

I do not have my S12 yet. So my acid test will be when the S12 arrives. Yes, I will probably have to tune the mag catch areas. I had to do this to my FN FAL that I built and one AK that I also built......its easy.

I can see now why so many S12 owners out their like AGP magazines. This is a lower cost alternative if you want to go this route and you are not afraid of a little work.

Frosty

Those mold marks that you're removing are from the pins that push the mag halves out of the mold.

The reason it's so hard is it's glass filled nylon.

Nylon is very durable, it's what the yellow rope & "unbreakable" pocket combs are made of.

The glass mixed in it makes it rigid, but using nylon keeps it from being brittle.

Hell of a good mix.

I personally like to sand the insides with 120, then 240 grit sand paper.

It makes them run really well.

Also, I like to snug the screws, then back them off 1/2 rotation.

If they're too tight, they won't feed right.

Once you know they run well, remove the screws 1 at a time, apply red loctite, snug the screw & back off 1/2 rotation & repeat.

ETA;

BTW, I personally have never had to fit AGPs. They always fit the guns I've used them in great.

Edited by Paulyski

Those mold marks that you're removing are from the pins that push the mag halves out of the mold.

The reason it's so hard is it's glass filled nylon.

Nylon is very durable, it's what the yellow rope & "unbreakable" pocket combs are made of.

The glass mixed in it makes it rigid, but using nylon keeps it from being brittle.

Hell of a good mix.

Also, I like to snug the screws, then back them off 1/2 rotation.

If they're too tight, they won't feed right.

Once you know they run well, remove the screws 1 at a time, apply red loctite, snug the screw & back off 1/2 rotation & repeat.

ETA;

BTW, I personally have never had to fit AGPs. They always fit the guns I've used them in great.

Glass filled Nylon. No wonder that shit is so TOUGH. Some of my hand tools and safety equipment is made of the same stuff. No wonder it was familiar for some reason.

This is a VERY good thing.

As far as the red loctite, I will do just as you prescribe. Function and reliability tests first................then ..............loctite RED.

On a side note I can compare the SureFire 8 round mag I have to the AGP's and the Taiwanese 5 rounders. What I like the most is that the AGP's and the Tai 5's is that they have metal feed lips in the rear. I have no idea if the Surefire has metal molded in or not?

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

necro post, were they significantly cheaper? still avail today? sold out?

Meh, kinda but not really, $30 is the usual price for the AGP 10 round mag and the D.I.Ys were sold for $25 a piece or five for $100...

I bought one and put it together to see what needed to be done, mine required nothing... :super:

I was told by agp these kits are no longer available where do you buy these kits from thanks, I had to buy my agp mags from a different vendor already assembled

I got mine from AGP a couple of months ago, are they not available anymore?

I emailed them and waited a week before I got a response back saying they no longer offer the kits not sure if it has changed I checked a few months ago when I read about this deal and everyone was out or wanted an arm and a leg for an agp 10 mag...$50-$80