SAIGA CONVERSION IN CONNECTICUT

Hello

I have Saiga in .223. I wanted to put nice wood stock (not thumbhole) and what goes after the trigger, gas tube, detachable mag, pistol grip, etc. Obviously it will make the gun look like an AK47 (CT illegal), so I called ATF/BATFE Hartford Headquaters Office at 1-860-240-3400 and spoke with Mr. Peter Belanger.

I told him what I wanted to do, and that my gun would look like AK47, so he said that as long as I do not change the lenght of the barrel, and do not make it into full automatic weapon I will be GOOD. He said by Federal Law it's ok, ATF it's ok. And then he told me to call some local dealers to ask what they think about legality, so I did. My best dealer (valleyfirearms.com) said that if the guy from ATF said it is ok, then it is OK.

Here is what I bought from carolinashooterssupply.com Greg there is an awesome salesman! He told what I need besides the stock (LOL).

1 TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED" @ $17.95 = $17.95

1 TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA RIFLE MODIFIED FIRE CONTROL GROUP @ $50.00 = $50.00

1 TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS @ $1.00 = $1.00

1 WOOD STOCK SET AK-47, SAIGA RIFLE- BROWN LAMINATE @ $110.50 = $110.50

1 GAS TUBE FOR AK47'S AND SAIGA RIFLES @ $30.00 = $30.00

1 HANDGUARD RETAINING LOWER BRACKET @ $34.95 = $34.95

1 Saiga 223 30rd Magazine @ $28.95 = $28.95

When I am done I will post the picture. Thanks and please share Your thoughts!

• Like 1

Hello

I have Saiga in .223. I wanted to put nice wood stock (not thumbhole) and what goes after the trigger, gas tube, detachable mag, pistol grip, etc. Obviously it will make the gun look like an AK47 (CT illegal), so I called ATF/BATFE Hartford Headquaters Office at 1-860-240-3400 and spoke with Mr. Peter Belanger.

I told him what I wanted to do, and that my gun would look like AK47, so he said that as long as I do not change the lenght of the barrel, and do not make it into full automatic weapon I will be GOOD. He said by Federal Law it's ok, ATF it's ok. And then he told me to call some local dealers to ask what they think about legality, so I did. My best dealer (valleyfirearms.com) said that if the guy from ATF said it is ok, then it is OK.

Here is what I bought from carolinashooterssupply.com Greg there is an awesome salesman! He told what I need besides the stock (LOL).

Thanks for the post, fellow CT citizen.

I already did those conversions on my .223 and knew that it was well within the law to do so. I just looked up the law and made sure I was 922r compliant. Thats essentially all you need to do, so long as the barrel is at least 16" long. In CT, any AK variant chambered in 7.62x39 is illegal. You can have an honest to goodness AK74 here without any problems (with an american made receiver, semi-auto, no bayonet lug and brazed-on compensator). As if 7.62x39 isn't as deadly as 5.45x39. It's a silly law, but its the law.

Hello

Thanks for the post, fellow CT citizen.

I already did those conversions on my .223 and knew that it was well within the law to do so. I just looked up the law and made sure I was 922r compliant. Thats essentially all you need to do, so long as the barrel is at least 16" long. In CT, any AK variant chambered in 7.62x39 is illegal. You can have an honest to goodness AK74 here without any problems (with an american made receiver, semi-auto, no bayonet lug and brazed-on compensator). As if 7.62x39 isn't as deadly as 5.45x39. It's a silly law, but its the law.

Hey

You did this already? You think You could help me with mine? I have never done anything like that before. Pretty please with saiga on top, or cherry ;)

Sure buddy, I'd be glad to help.

First off, I'll provide you with a link to the movie I watched to do the conversion. The rifle in the video is a 7.62x39 but its pretty much the same steps for .223.

I literally had it playing on a little net-book on my tool bench while I was doing the conversion. It should cover everything.

Now, read this website front to back:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

You can do this conversion with common handtools, a power drill and a rotary tool of some kind, like a Dremel for example. I did mine in about 2 hours.

I looked at all the stuff you have purchased and it seems that you are ready to rock and roll, all those parts will work nicely.

Edited by Hexus535

Actually Mike,

I missed something in my last post. Can you provide the link to the magazine you bought?

If its a Bulgarian Circle 10 then you will need a bullet guide. I used Dinzag's bullet guide kit for round trunnions (included the tap) and I highly recommend it. It was very simple to install. With a bullet guide, you can use military magazines. Keep an eye out at local gun shows, theres this one guy that manages to always have multiple steel 30rd Weiger magazines for sale that will work in your .223. I have two for myself.

Actually Mike,

I missed something in my last post. Can you provide the link to the magazine you bought?

If its a Bulgarian Circle 10 then you will need a bullet guide. I used Dinzag's bullet guide kit for round trunnions (included the tap) and I highly recommend it. It was very simple to install. With a bullet guide, you can use military magazines. Keep an eye out at local gun shows, theres this one guy that manages to always have multiple steel 30rd Weiger magazines for sale that will work in your .223. I have two for myself.

Hello

It is a surefire. That's what Greg from carolinashooterssupply.com recommended. I spoke with him on the phone.

Buddy,

Trust me you can do this, its just simply a matter of if you have the time to do it. Do it in parts, spend some time just disassembling it, really get in touch with her. It's like your first date... Once you can feel her out and get an idea of how things work, you can proceed with really getting dirty. Take the top off, gently remove her bolt carrier and inspect the bottom of the receiver, look for the pistol grip nut hole and where the rivets are crushed on the inside. Take the front handguard off, breathe deep her nubile gas system with your eyes. Use your tool and flip up the gas block lever and remove the gas tube. Finally, you can play with the butt. Back out the screws in her tang and under the rear of the receiver. Now, you're dissassembled and ready for action. Then, put the project on hold and do further research. Space it out, doing it all at once could be overwhelming. I did mine all at once, I wish I didn't because I would have thought out my part selection better.

Just look at the parts and figure out whats going on before you start making permanent receiver changes. I'm telling you, I studied that guide I gave you religiously. I Read it 20 times easily, front to back inside and out.

Start small, I would toss on the lower handguard and then retaining bracket, then on with the replacement gas tube and upper handguard. Bam! You are on your way....

Honestly, nothing stupidly easy is ever worthwhile in the long run. You'd have a much deeper respect and rewarding Saiga experience if you do it yourself. Your rifle will be worth more to you. It's like a budding gunworking hobbist's starter kit.

Plus, the people who like to do it themselves and enjoy the experience are avid contributors to this forum (myself included), the help is definitely there if you hit a snag. This is actually a good weekend project if you have the time, just space it out and take your time. Remember: measure twice; cut once. I say this not because you will be doing alot of cutting, but as advice to take your time to really size up any changes you are making to the rifle.

I did not cut it. Only thing I had to grind was the trigger guard. Everything was matched perfectly.

And now listen carefully.

I went to the range yesterday (High Rock). And I was shooting it for a while and then my body took my saiga and fired it. During that one of the bolts that holds the trigger fell out! And I ended up with "cease fire", group of people waiting for a while and a LIVE round stocked in the firing pin! My guess is I should have put a e-clip on those bolts, on all of them. So just be careful.

How expensive is it to shoot up there?

not sure on price, but cheap enough if i recall correctly...

nice job on the saiga, Ive got two of them on the "to do" list, the first one im going against the grain with more of a tacticool look... second, when i get around to it will be more traditional..

not sure on price, but cheap enough if i recall correctly...

nice job on the saiga, Ive got two of them on the "to do" list, the first one im going against the grain with more of a tacticool look... second, when i get around to it will be more traditional..

Yea, I'm doin the same thing. My .223 will be tacticool and I plan on building up an AK74 from scratch (keepin it CT legal of course) which will be keep in its classic configuration.

Hi

High Rock Range charges $5.00 for first hour, and a $1.00 for every next 15 minutes. It's 100 yard open range. Nice staff, never question any guns, unless they're very unlegall.

Wow! Thats a really good rate compared to the range I normally frequent. I'll have to go and check it out soon!