AK100 stock install

I removed the trunnion from my S12 and started the receiver modifications to install the solid polyfolder on it. I still need to cut the holes for the stock locking mechanism and the front latch. I have a bulgarian trigger guard that I would like to install too while I have the weapon torn down. I can buy the AK Builder rivet tool for about $260 shipped and buy a 12 ton press for about $140. So, I am looking at $400 to get set up for doing this. I have a Russian 5.5mm triangle folder to install at a later date, so it isn't like I'm spending $400 to install one stock. I have a couple sets of Bulgarian rivets as well.

Here is where I am getting stuck. I would really like to press the rivets and gain the experience of doing it, but I have never done it. If I buy the tools, I'm sure I will find uses for them later. On the other hand, it would be less stressful to just send it out and have it done.... I think? One of the reasons I do not want to send it out it that I will most likely have to wait a ridiculously long time to get my weapon back. I'm pretty patient, but I have a very low tolerance for things not happening when I am told they will. I start to get a little 'excited'. There is a part of me that says it will be more stressful sending it out and I should do it myself. So, what do you think? I am pretty good with my hands and I think I can get it done, but having someone else do it would be nice.... as long as good work is performed and it is done when they say it will be done. However, a 2 month wait or more may be a dealbreaker. I would also have to deal with someone in FL as I do not want to have to pay transfer fees to get my weapon back. Is there a way to send it out of state to a 'smith and not have to do an inbound transfer?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

You don't need a press or the rivet jig for that. Sign up over at gunco on the ak-47 BIY section. They'll set you straight . Pretty much all you need is a converted bolt cutter and a round face punch and hammer. A dremel for the cuts.

You don't need a press or the rivet jig for that. Sign up over at gunco on the ak-47 BIY section. They'll set you straight . Pretty much all you need is a converted bolt cutter and a round face punch and hammer. A dremel for the cuts.

I have a set of 36" bolt cutters already and have seen the boltcutter rivet forming jaws. I forgot all about that. Excellent work Wired.... thank you!

Be sure to check for bolt carrier clearance before riveting in the truniun. These usually need reworking to fit s12.

I already removed some material off of the trunnion to match the profile of the top of the factory trunnion where the carrier needs clearance. Before I send it out for hardening, I want to do a test fit and see if I have removed enough in the correct area. I think I may need to enlarge the hole where the long rivet goes. It also looks as if the dimpling on the trunnion isn't deep enough where the rivets go. I appreciate the heads up.

ST,

Lets see a pic of that Krink SBS again. That thing makes me feel warm and fuzzy.... it is gorgeous :wub:

• Like 1

Be sure to check for bolt carrier clearance before riveting in the truniun. These usually need reworking to fit s12.

I already removed some material off of the trunnion to match the profile of the top of the factory trunnion where the carrier needs clearance. Before I send it out for hardening, I want to do a test fit and see if I have removed enough in the correct area. I think I may need to enlarge the hole where the long rivet goes. It also looks as if the dimpling on the trunnion isn't deep enough where the rivets go. I appreciate the heads up.

ST,

Lets see a pic of that Krink SBS again. That thing makes me feel warm and fuzzy.... it is gorgeous :wub:

Thanks evlblkwpnz

Countersink truniun holes to match the reciever

Also make sure to use the proper length rivet for the rear optic mount hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF8tVSinuaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlmHs_tESs

Edited by saigatechusa

I've posted links to this before, this is just one random link from a guy who has a series of vids on Youtube on AK building-oddly enough he posts under the name -buildyourownak. If you have and fears about riviting I strongly suggest watching this guys stuff, with the right equipmet it's a cake walk and this guy put a very good series on the net available for everyone to take you through the motions. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK#p/u/10/EQvgcGCR-pI

Edited by 6500rpm

I've posted links to this before, this is just one random link from a guy who has a series of vids on Youtube on AK building-oddly enough he posts under the name -buildyourownak. If you have and fears about riviting I strongly suggest watching this guys stuff, with the right equipmet it's a cake walk and this guy put a very good series on the net available for everyone to take you through the motions. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK#p/u/10/EQvgcGCR-pI

I remember stumbling across his videos a while and didn't think to subscribe. I did this time and I appreciate the link.

Wow. This is a real pain in the ass.

So far, I have....

fit my KVar solid poly stock to what I believe is a DPH trunnion (it had a locking issue)

removed my factory trunnion

cut the rear of my receiver to match the rear of the trunnion

located and cut the holes for the locking mech

located and drilled the lower rivet holes

dimpled the trunnion where the rivets go

fit the trunnion to clear the bolt carrier

I still need to....

dimple the new lower rivet holes in the receiver

send the trunnion out for hardening

install rivets

locate holes for front latch, drill, and file

have original FCG holes and original trigger guard holes welded up

prep and paint

This undertaking really has me second guessing my decision to do this myself. The lack of real shop equipment is the root of this second guessing. Everything looks great and fits nice, but it has taken a looooong time to do with a Dremel and files.... and I'm not done yet. It has also proven to be somewhat stressful cutting and drilling this receiver. In hindsight, I may have just sent it out to a reputable builder. The decision to do it myslef hinged on saving money and not wanting to wait to get the weapon back. I will probably choose Saigatech to install my Russian 5.5 triangle stock if I don't decide to do it myself.