Shooting Slugs

Hi.!!

I've heard from my Father & some of his older buddies, that shooting --Slugs-- will quickly ruin the barrel, can anyone give my more modern advice on this subect, INC. effect other ga.'s (12 & 16, is that ga. still around?..I haven't heard anything about it for a VERY long time)

I like the thought of a 16ga, as the 20ga. is a bit small and the 12ga. is nice for me, but my wife doesn't like it, so does the SAIGA company make a Clip/Mag. fed 16ga ???

so two basics= Solid slugs effect on continued proformance, and is there a 16ga size SAIGA Clip fed ???

Thanks !!!

P.S. please PM me about any old unusable firearms, and or pieces (lower/upper recievers, barrel, stocks, ect.) or ANY long or handguns. I love to "Tinker" and my family is showing interest in learning "The trade", and I lost my entire collection during a moving Co. rip-off..."Fell off the truck", so I have nothing to teach and pass down to my family, what my Father taught me. My father even taught me how to make my own ammunition. Thanks!

Hello Kevin,

On the subject of slugs screwing up a barrel got to admit that’s a new one on me unless you’re shooting them from a gun with a very tight choke, and that’s not recommended. Out of a tight screw in it might bang up the threads or flare the choke / barrel.

As to 16 ga. guns they’re still out there in use and some may still be being made but not by Saiga. They’re more commonly used by bird hunters and finding slugs and other ammo might be harder for them. A 20 ga. is a good starting point for smaller frame shooters and there are loads for it from lighter 7/8 oz to some stuff that would about be equal to a 12 ga. plus slugs and buckshot are available for it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Phil

Kevin I should also point out that there is a lot of low recoil ammo for a 12 ga. and steps like magna porting the barrel make it shoot-able by just about any adult. So if you’re looking at just one gun for the use of both you and your wife it may be the choice.

Edited by going12220

16ga just isn't needed anymore, mostly continues on life support that is due to fond memories....

12ga std load is 1 1/8 oz

20ga std load is 7/8 oz

16ga std load is 1 oz ... and there are 1oz loads developed for the 20ga or a 12ga. But the 12ga is more likely to suffer in reliability so make sure before you start your hunt. (and likely buy, check the interweb). The other reason for the 16ga is it's lighter for when you are carrying in the field ... but the 20ga is a better solution (IMO).

I know that just because the load is the same weight, it's not exactly the same. The gauge of the bbl affects the length of the shot column and this DOES affect the shot pattern, but the changes are very slight.

Slugs that are made from slugs just won't hurt the shotgun, no matter the choke. But a looser choke will give you better precision, so if you are making precision (hunting) shots, you'd want to stick with modified or looser (that's where many see good results).

• 2 weeks later...

This post brings up some questions for me too. I have pretty much only used my Saiga's as toys at the range but would like to use my 20 as a "brush gun" for short range shots with slugs.

Being more a long range and pistol kinda guy (Never had a use or need for shotguns until I found the Saigas) what are the best slugs as far as accuracy to shoot from the Saiga 20?

I have a cheap red dot on mine right now. I need to sight it in with the slugs I plan on shooting. I figure I'll sight it in at about 50-60 yds depending on how well it does. Just gotta decide on what ammo to buy and use. I don't really want to try buying multiple brands to find one that does better. I guess nobody else has tried for accuracy with slugs much. This week I may talk to a guy about getting a threaded barrel built.

SDC10002.jpg