ACE folding stock mechanism question....

For those of you using an ACE folding stock mechanism (standard, not push button), like is sold here:

http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=84&products_id=297

To extend the stock, are you supposed to just grab the end of the buttstock, and straighten it out, or do you supposed to fiddle with the folding mechanism unlock it?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Another questions:

Can i use ACE stock with adapter with std russian folding mechanism?

Can i use Tromix stock with adapter with std russian folding mechanism?

Or i have to make middlepart by myself?

Thx for posting or PM.

dvc

ufo

You would have to make some sort of adapter for yourself.

I can just pull my stock to lock it back in place. I don't have to press in on it at all. Only to fold it. I did apply a small drop of oil right where it hinges, though. Made things much smoother.

A side note about the non-push button mechanism.. it tends to try and fold on me when I rapid fire more than 5 or 6 shots in a row occasionally.

I can just pull my stock to lock it back in place. I don't have to press in on it at all. Only to fold it. I did apply a small drop of oil right where it hinges, though. Made things much smoother.

A side note about the non-push button mechanism.. it tends to try and fold on me when I rapid fire more than 5 or 6 shots in a row occasionally.

Yeah I've seen them do that. That's a nice thing about the push button folder.

Personally I just removed the folders from both by S12s. I never really benefited from it.

I mainly just use my folding mechanism for easier storage. I'll try the push button version eventually, though. It doesn't lock up as tight from what I've heard, but it stays locked.

I think I actually bought my folding mechanism from you, hobbyshooter. :smoke:

I mainly just use my folding mechanism for easier storage. I'll try the push button version eventually, though. It doesn't lock up as tight from what I've heard, but it stays locked.

I think I actually bought my folding mechanism from you, hobbyshooter. :smoke:

Heh. For the record, I never had that folder collapse while firing on me. I've seen it happen to rrice with his 19" gun.

The push button folder is a lot more sloppy but it was never a problem either. Just felt rickety. I can easily see how it could be corrected, but it would require either a new locking tab with a slight taper cut into it so the V shape would plug into the slot and take up slop. Or, some thin adhesive backed foam could be put on the back side of the hinging part to take up the slop when locked extended. Honestly it's a design flaw. Both the plug and the slot of the push button mech should have been tapered so the plug doesn't bottom out in the slot.

I never did much with it though because I concluded the folder added to the overall extended length and I wanted that gun to be as short as legally possible. It's my home defense gun so having a short gun to navigate doorways and corners is what I'm after.

In fact, if I could find a 7.5" Ace skeleton stock I'd snatch it up and put the medium stock that's on that gun now on my .223 Then I could make a home brew AK plinker out of my 10/22 with the Tapco AK stock on my .223 :lolol:

Edited by hobbyshooter

Another questions:

Thx for posting or PM.

dvc

ufo

THX man.

The reason I started this thread was- I've used mine lightly for a few years, and I have always just pulled the thing open. The instructions didn't say how to open the gun, so I assumed it was how it was supposed to work. The other day I noticed what appeared to be quite a lot of wear on the hinge, and was worried I was screwing up the mechanism by pulling it open. I mean, it still works fine, but it looks like the metal is being worn down (I think- it's now silvered and appears to rounded off- I don't remember what it looked like before.

Any more thoughts?

Another questions:

Thx for posting or PM.

dvc

ufo

THX man.

No problem.

The reason I started this thread was- I've used mine lightly for a few years, and I have always just pulled the thing open. The instructions didn't say how to open the gun, so I assumed it was how it was supposed to work. The other day I noticed what appeared to be quite a lot of wear on the hinge, and was worried I was screwing up the mechanism by pulling it open. I mean, it still works fine, but it looks like the metal is being worn down (I think- it's now silvered and appears to rounded off- I don't remember what it looked like before.

Any more thoughts?

That sounds normal to me. All mine have gotten worn over time. As long as it still works I would call it normal wear from usage.

Here's an E-mail I got from. ACE. Guess I've been doing it wrong.

------------------

The Folding Mechanism should have to be manipulated to unlock the stock no matter if it is the open or extended position. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks

Tim

The reason you have been "doing it wrong" is because the stock gets blocked from completely locking in the folding position. It instead just rests between the taper of the mechanism. When you just unfold it those 2 tapered pieces rub compressing the spring for you. Yes it will wear the tapered pieces.