red dot sights

I'm thinking of getting a red dot sight for my Saiga-308. I did a search for "Red Dot" but no results (even though I found a topic title later under search results for "sights" that had "Red Dot"in it! - what's up with that?)

Anyway what do you guys have or recommend?

I'm thinking of getting a red dot sight for my Saiga-308. I did a search for "Red Dot" but no results (even though I found a topic title later under search results for "sights" that had "Red Dot"in it! - what's up with that?)

The best way to search forums for stuff is going to Google and entering: "search term" site:someforum.com

For example: red dot site:saiga-12.com

Here's a link for you: http://www.google.com/search?q=red+dot+site:saiga-12.com

There are plenty of red dot discussions here!

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Aimpoint Micro! The One True Sight.

Do you have the 16 inch or 22 inch barrel 308?

How much better is the micro over, say the comp c3 or other aimpoints? Is there any +/- to having the smaller tube? I don't care about co-witness..

Not having to remove or fiddle with things in order to switch between irons and optics is a big deal. (It's also nice to have the same cheekweld position for both).

The big plus to the Micro over the other Aimpoints is the weight/bulk/clutter savings (the smallness factor, basically). AKs are heavy enough already; 308 Saigas even more so.

Edited by Jim Digriz

The only red dot that makes me want to install one is the Bushnell Tactical Elite, its been out long enough to have a good rep and the price is at least tolerable (less than the cost of the rifle). It also comes with build in "irons" like all good red dots but it is going to add weight so there ya go. Link just to be clear http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Elite-Green-Riflescope/dp/B0019SS8CE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1285109836&sr=1-1.

Everyone has a different opinion on this gear.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Thanks guys,

I'll check out the less expensive recommendations. I should have pointed out that I can't spend more on my first red dot than I've spent for my Saiga 308 including conversion and upgrades. That eliminates Aimpoint and Eotech and some others!

The google search recommendation is very good and appreciated. That's the way I'm going to forum-search from now on!

Cheaperthandirt has a good list of reflex sights with convenient reviews. Very helpful but the bottom line is with 308 recoil cheaper is not better, unfortunately. It's tough finding affordable and durable unless you got $400 plus to spend. I'll definitely checkout the 3 or 4 recommendations - thank you for them.

I'll follow up.

Edited by storminNorm

Man, thanks to SpetsnazGRU for the search advice. I used it and brought up all kinds of stuff - and I'm still not done! Yea, there's plenty of Red Dot stuff in just this Saiga Forum. Sometimes you just have to be slapped in face with the obvious . . .

Thanks also to Jim Digriz for the recommendation on Primary Arms MicroDot. I must have visited their website well over 10 times and have sent them 3 emails. They replied to the one I sent yesterday.

I like the PA Micro alot. Watched the Utube video where a madman repeatedly drops his on the ground and throws it around to prove how hardy it is.

At first I leaned toward WalMart cheap. Nothing wrong with that with a first Red Dot. Then I found Primary Arms. Looked at most Red Dots on Optics Planet. Now I'm thinking Primary Arms M3 maybe instead of the MicroDot . . .

I love my Vortex Strikefire... The PA Microdot is nice too, very good reviews.

I spoke by phone yesterday with a sales clerk at Sportsman's Warehouse who is very happy with his Vortex but they're well over $100. Both red dots have good reviews.

■ Unlike Airsoft red dots the LED is firmly attached to hold zero under live fire

■ Please note that there are a few degrees of cant inherent in the design of the rotating drum that produces the multi reticles. It is noticeable with the cross hair.

I've got emails into Primary Arms asking about these 2 specs of their M3.

Anyone had issues with these 2? How is the LED attached - what makes it secure? Does Cant mean that the cross hairs on that particular reticle are noticeably not properly aligned vertically/horizontally? I like this multiple reticule feature of the M3 - if they're good.

About Red Dots in general: unfortunately to my old eyes the dot looks like a small bunch of grapes. I don't suppose there's anything out there that will sharpen the dot for these old eyes, is there? I mean other than getting a eyeglass prescription. What are others doing about this?

A sales clerk at Sportsman's Warehouse was very happy with his Vortex Strikefire. They also carry them so I went down to take a look (btw you can also buy them online from Primary Arms).

The pleasant surprise was that the focusing ring on the doubler that's included in the purchase of the Strikefire does sharpen the Dot. Without this feature I see a little bunch of grapes for a dot; with the doubler screwed in and the focusing ring turned all the way out the dot is sharp! I have not found anyone else with a focusing eyebell. Impressive.

Optics Planet shows a Strikefire model review of 66 reviews with an average total of over 4 out of a max. of 5. Darn good I say. And all for about $150.

Edited by storminNorm