New Guy with questions

Hi Guys, new member, long time reader! :zorro:

I am looking for a quick place to score a 5.45/39 Saiga! I want to be able to convert in myself and cost is important, but I kind of need it in a hurry for training.

I would love to do business with board vendors, if practical/possible! Any leads?

Also, I have heard of both Saiga Tec and Trommix DIY Trigger guards. What are the pros and cons of both and will they work on the 5.45/29mm?

Thanks! :angel:

• Like 1
I am looking for a quick place to score a 5.45/39 Saiga! I want to be able to convert in myself and cost is important, but I kind of need it in a hurry for training.

They're supposed to be coming at the end of October, but we'll see...

I would love to do business with board vendors, if practical/possible! Any leads?

Yea me too, the FFLs around me will probably want $500 for a damn sporter Saiga. Eff that.

• Like 1

Yea me too, the FFLs around me will probably want $500 for a damn sporter Saiga. Eff that.

Thanks for the answer! I had considered the Century import from the standpoint time and availability but had heard that they used a 5.56mm barrel and thus the accuracy blows. :unsure:

Welcome to the forum Cranky Yankee. You might want to check Peach State Arms, they are great guys to deal with and a vendor.

As of the last time I checked, Tromix does not make a DIY Triggerguard to fit rifles.

SaigaTechUSA makes a trigger guard for rifles, I think it will fit the 5.45x39mm.

I would call on both vendors for the final word on what works with their product.

Tromix is a long time vendor here. The owner of Saiga Tech is a member.

If you have any more rifle questions please feel free to call on me.

HTH!

• Like 2

I'm one of the guys 100% happy with my Century Bulgy if you're in a hurry to get a '74. But I've owned enough of CAI's guns to realize I may have just gotten lucky. A couple people have complained of keyholing but they seem to be the minority. Most reviews are positive, just can't beat it for the price. Barrels are not chrome lined, but accuracy is excellent... at least out of mine.

The Bulgy kits are high quality, if you want some piece of mind look for a better builder and buy a completed from them instead. It'll just cost a bit more.

Good luck finding a Saiga 5.45 right now. Post a WTB on the board and keep an eye on Gun Broker. Saigas of most calibers are out of stock everywhere til the next shipment comes in (hopefully next month). Apparently the importer has been in negotiations with Izhmash over cost so it might get pushed back if the can't settle. We'll get more, no one knows exactly when.

Edited by rob-cubed
  • Like 2

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191803562

Great guy to work with.

Got mine last week.

Good communication over the phone.

Gave me a UPS tracking# right away.

Believe he has a hand full left. At least one as of time of this post...

Price shipped is on par with the normal places too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the answer! I had considered the Century import from the standpoint time and availability but had heard that they used a 5.56mm barrel and thus the accuracy blows. :unsure:

Just avoid US made barrels like the plague and you will be fine as far as a 5.45 barrel goes.

Well guys I have my new rifle! It is very nice and I am told somewhat rare with the Y marks. It has no pin holes as I am told that some do, but I would not think that would be legal. So I am happy, as to where I got it, well I need to check with the person that gave me the information on the source. He asked me not to devulge the seller. I will check with him and get back with you if he is OK with it! :devil:

Congrats..

CrankyYankee.. a 545x39 SAIGA with Y stamp would be RARE.. NON-EXISTENT.. NO ONE HAS ONE..

A 545x39 Bulgy or ?? would have the Y stamp..

Pics with the Y stamp and the side panel in full would prove/dis-prove.

Most have the single X and single sideways y but not the XTRA 'Y'.

Let see the new beauty.. stoked for you either way..