Saiga-12 stopped firing

Never had any problems with it before. Feeds fine, but there isn't even a dent on the primer after pulling the trigger. Firing pin tip doesn't look broken. How far should it protrude when hit by the hammer? If the firing pin is damaged, does it take the same one as any other AK? If not, what's a source for a new firing pin? What else could be wrong with it?

TIA,

Allan Schisel

Edited by allanschisel

Never had any problems with it before. Feeds fine, but there isn't even a dent on the primer after pulling the trigger. Firing pin tip doesn't look broken. How far should it protrude when hit by the hammer? If the firing pin is damaged, does it take the same one as any other AK? If not, what's a source for a new firing pin? What else could be wrong with it?

TIA,

Allan Schisel

The S-12 employs a two-piece firing pin. It is very different from what a standard AK takes. Tromix makes S-12 firing pins. Carolina Shooter's Supply has them. I take it that the hammer spring legs are properly in place.

TIA,

Allan Schisel

Did you possibly over-profile the hammer?

If you remove the pin in the bolt (larger part, not the pin that holds the extractor), you'll see the 2 piece FP & springs, check to see if anything's broken.

ETA;

Wow, most responses I'v seen come in at one time. :)

Edited by Paulyski
Is your striker still sticking out the rear end of your bolt and under spring pressure?

Yes, it sticks out.

Did you possibly over-profile the hammer?

Not sure what that means, but I never messed with the insides.

I'll take it apart and see if anything is broken, that's good info.

Thanks,

Allan

Take the bolt and carrier out of the gun. (field strip the shotgun)

With the bolt being held so you can see both ends, press in as far as you can on the rear of the striker (in the back). Hold it there flush with the end of the bolt stem, while looking at how much of the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt face. Is it sticking out at all? Is it far enough where it should be making a good hit on the primer?

With the bolt and carrier in place in the unloaded gun, close the bolt and release the hammer from the sear. When it contacts the rear of the blt stem, is it hitting the striker and pushing it all the way in?

Hold it there flush with the end of the bolt stem, while looking at how much of the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt face. Is it sticking out at all? Is it far enough where it should be making a good hit on the primer?

Yes, it's sticking out. How far (range) does it need to protrude to make hard enough contact to set the primer off?

Allan Schisel

Hold it there flush with the end of the bolt stem, while looking at how much of the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt face. Is it sticking out at all? Is it far enough where it should be making a good hit on the primer?

Yes, it's sticking out. How far (range) does it need to protrude to make hard enough contact to set the primer off?

Allan Schisel

On both My S-12 personal & the bolt I just got done rebuilding for another guy, the FP only protrudes a fraction of a millimeter, a barely noticeable amount, & I must compress the bolt faces to the bolt to make sure everything's absolutely pressed together, otherwise the pin does not protrude at all.

My gun fires flawlessly, so I guess the answer is, not much protrusion is needed. A fraction of a millimeter.

1 question...

Are you certain you were in full locked battery & for some reason your disconnecter or something else isn't jamming up just enough for the bolt face not to be contacting the rear of the shell?

Edited by Paulyski

OK, problem solved. Took the bolt apart, cleaned and lubed it. Checked the firing pin. Everything seemed fine. Took it out to shoot again and no ignition. "Always try different ammo 1st" -- should of been my 1st attempt at fixing the problem. A buddy left a box of 16ga out and that's what I was using at 1st. :eek:

Tried 12ga and it worked fine. I was trying out a new Pro-mag 10 round drum and it worked perfectly.

Thanks, for all the help.

Allan Schisel