Planning my first Saiga

Ok, so the first step towards getting my .308 is mostly out of the way (convincing the wife that it is necessary that "we" have one) now I have got the bug... I am planning on buying the 22" version with the synthetic furniture. I have been looking around the forum a LOT and am coming to the conclusion that what "we" REALLY need is a Saiga .308 converted to pistol grip configuration... So..

I looked on Dinzag arms and saw that he sells converted Arsenal two stage FCGs made specially for Saiga .308s. Do I just buy that? Or do I need more? Tools? Can I irreparably damage my investment in this lovely rifle?

Also, is battlerifleG3 still doing business? I looked through his catalog and really liked the look of his Modified Galil Stock, Foregrip and Handle...

And finally, since I live in California, can anyone tell me about the radlock? It seemed pretty straightforward but does anyone here have experience using it? I am thinking I can just loop the lanyard for the tool somewhere on the rifle and it should still be a reasonably quick mag change.

Thanks for the help. :)

Conversion is documented in videos stickied to the various forums iirc. As for the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia let others more acquainted with that regimes rules advise you but I see a monster-man grip in your future if you want to fix that trigger. Highly suggest relocating to a free zone but you already knew that didnt ya? :)

Dremel, drill, metal chisel possibly and a few common hand tools all you need to make a full conversion. But you are in PRK...just rubbing it in now sorry.

EDIT: Sure you want a 21" most get that one to cut it down to 18-19" at some latter date there is very little accuracy difference and ease of handling much better on the 16 although some flash is to be expected.

Edited by Rhodes1968

If you can dig up a Saiga 308-V.21.. thats already 'converted' out the box... just add a bullet button/mag-lock and go...

Al

New Ver 21s are really hard to find at this point in 2010. I emailed RAA about a month ago, and they replied 50 at a time come in once or twice a year. Next new batch won't be around until winter. One used even popped up on Gunbroker about a month ago and sold for $575. Somehow, MAA had a new one in stock. I'm expecting it to be delivered on Monday!:super:

For the impatient, there's a pretty nifty Ver 21 alternative at MAA right now, though -- several 7.62x39 Saiga-Ms are in stock. Those have the nice wood with thumbhole, and the trigger is already moved forward, just like the Ver 21. You can put bigger drum magazines on them, too.

• Like 1

Thats where I saw the V21 at.. :super:

The 762x39-M though nice, is $575.. ouch..

Yeah, I haven't been shopping for Saiga's long enough to know how the prices have moved, but I get the impression that things get more expensive towards year's end when inventory thins out.

BattleRifleG3 does still take care of business, but does not have the capacity to operate as a business member on the forum.

I sometimes take a while to get through the many E-mails, mainly because I try to respond to each inquiry. E-mail is still the best way to be in touch. Repeat E-mails are fine, they won't speed the response but may get through in case the first was lost, spam flagged, etc.

I hope to share on some projects that are fun for the community and completely non-business, but time for that is in short supply.

For the impatient, there's a pretty nifty Ver 21 alternative at MAA right now, though -- several 7.62x39 Saiga-Ms are in stock. Those have the nice wood with thumbhole, and the trigger is already moved forward, just like the Ver 21. You can put bigger drum magazines on them, too.

Yes I'm trying to figure out how I can need another rifle in 7.62x39, because that rifle does look pretty nice.

So is there anyone here that has experience with bullet buttons, raddlocks, etc? I was all gung ho for doing a conversion but several people have made me doubt whether that is a good idea... I had a guy at a local gun store tell me that even with a bullet button I have a good chance of being harassed or told that my firearm is illegal... His argument was that as soon as I remove my magazine from my rifle to reload (even with the bullet button) it becomes "a rifle capapble of accepting a detachable magazine." Does anyone here use magazine devices? Have you ever had trouble? Would I be taking a risk to install one? Should I just keep my Saiga in the sporter configuration?