Sweden in December, I must be brain damaged!

It is finally time to get serious about replacing my car. As I think I mentioned before, Volvo is offering two free round trip tickets to Sweden if you buy a Volvo through their overseas delivery program. They also ship the car back for free; give you one night in a hotel and a tour of the factory (and, the deal clincher, a Swedish meatball lunch!) So, I need a new car and my 17 year old wants to go somewhere for a senior trip. So, I ordered a new Volvo yesterday and Alyssa and I will be flying over to Sweden in late December to pick it up. While this is an awesome deal/plan, my timing is not too good. Why doesn't Volvo have a factory in Hawaii??

In order to get the car when I need it, which is next spring, I have to order it now. From what I understand, it will take 8 to 14 weeks for it to get here after we see it at the factory. So, the process is a rather slow one.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for what we should see or do in Sweden in late December? We are only going to be there less than a week, so there will not be time to drive all over. Any advice for driving in northern Europe or what we should take? We've got a couple of months to assemble some warm clothes and plan what we want to see.

WJ

• Like 2

Where in Sweden are you going? If you're near the capital see if they still do ferry rides to Altland. Cool little island that a little bit of Sweden and a little bit of Finland.

The capital is cool. If you go about an hour north there's a scenic little town called Nortalja. Its a fairly modern town by European standards. Only a few buildings remain from the 18th century. Most of the town was burnt down by advancing Russian troops about 200 years ago!

I was there not long ago but for a short time. Most of my vacation was in Amsterdam and the surrounding areas. Now if you were going there I can give you a ton of info!

Sweden is a nice place though, I liked it but I was there in the summer. Winter time I suggest you pack a shovel :)

BTW you can drive around with no problems. Most signs are in Swedish and English. You might want to get a travel DL. I did just in case because I was driving from Amsterdam to Stockholm through 4 countries. Didn't need to use it but you never know. But if you don't your DL is still good everyone there speaks, reads and writes English!

• Like 1

Thanks, Arik, the sign issue is good to know.

I was looking at the Volvo web site a while ago, and they have side trips to other locations for a very reasonable fee. They have a three day trip to Rome, which might be interesting and warmer. That trip has two days in Gothenburg and three days in Rome. That might be a good alternative to -20 degrees in Sweden. I have always wanted to see the Coliseum, so that is pretty appealing.

I think a picture of me, in front of the Coliseum, wearing a Juggernaut produced t-shirt would look very nice! Only problem with that is I've got about eight of them, and I don't know which one I'd wear. Maybe we need a poll question to decide the issue.

WJ

• Like 1

If you have a GPS that has Europe maps it helps a lot. I used my Garmin with no problems. It was just like using it here.

I just googled Gothenburg and yea your far from Stockholm and the Aland islands. About 5-6 hours. But you're close to Copenhagen Denmark, about 3-4 hours and there is a cool bar in Odense that is 100% Irish! And you can be in Hamburg in about a day. You can move around EU without any problems or having to get any visas.

What you want to avoid is rest areas at night in Sweden, E.Germany. Avoid E.Europe altogether (Czech Rep, Poland, Bulgaria) In Sweden and Germany there are gangs who steal cars. Most are from E. Europe, they take the cars and drive them back or load them on enclosed trailers and ship them home to sell as cars or as parts. They usually dont kill people but... In E. Europe you might even have cops working with them. You get pulled over and your car is stolen! I'n not trying to scare you. Just letting you know what to be aware off since generally speaking these are very safe countries. When I drove through there I had no problems but I was told by friends to try and avoid highway rest areas at night. But overall people are very friendly. I had a guy stop to give me a hand with a flat tire. He couldnt stay since he was on his way to work so he left me his tools (a better jack) and just told me to leave it here on the side of the road when I was done and he'd pick it up on his way home!

In Rome keep your wallet in your front pocket or duct tape it to your forehead. AND keep your money separate from your wallet and not in a huge bundle. Infact in any major metropolitan city that gets tons of tourists keep your hands on your money and your passport. Lots of pickpocket's!

Change your dollars over to euros ASAP just in case the exchange rate gets worse. Airports charge bigger fees to change currencies.

Where are you staying? Hostels? Hotels? There is a free way to do it let me know if you're interested I'll send you a link.

Forget Rome go Amsterdam you'll have more fun...at least your son will!!! :super:

That's really cool as I live in Gothenburg NE and our "sister" city is Gothenburg Sweden. I will try to find out stuff for you, but it is friday night here. And I will almost be called out before monday. When I get back, the first thing when I get back in town, is to see if they have anything that you might be interested in. This is way cool Warrior J! I didn't think you would actually do it! get ready for potato balony and I know I'm not spelling it right, but lukefish? A Swedeish buddy of mine made it every year for New years Eve. He even found all the ingredients when we lived down in Houston for 12 years. Of course, it was mixed with black eyed peas for good luck then. Anyway, VERY COOL Warrior! I hope you and you kin have a great time!