I would imagine it to be rather difficult to bulletproof a home. I wonder if using used tire treads overlapped or layered in conjunction with some steel? but how much weight can you add to the structure of a modern home? Would we have to design a home from the ground up with that in mind ? Can't afford enough Kevlar to wallpaper the whole house, ya know.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BULLET PROOF BUILDNG BLOCKS By Ernest A. Steadman Copyright © 2007

This stuff is called fiberfoamconcrete and can be made at home. You will need a 55 gallon drum to which you will add 20 gallons of water, 15 pounds of cement (plastic or portland type) and 4 pounds of type "S" slaked lime.

When ingredients are thoroughly mixed, you begin adding from 30 to 50 pounds of newspaper (wet weight) that has been finely shredded. Your mix should yield 30 to 35 gallons of fiberfoamconcrete.

Tests on a 12x12x18" solid block of this stuff, after it was air dried or cured for 45 days (yes, it takes 45 days to thoroughly cure), with a sledge hammer was like hitting a block of hard rubber. Placing this mix as a stucco over existing walls (4 to 12" thick), should make the wall both TNT and PETN shock wave proof.

Using the same solid block, it was shot over 50 times with bullets ranging from .223, .30-06, .308, Nato 9mm atuo., .357 and 44 magnum calibers. The brick swalled them all up and held together. No one bullet got through. You can imagine what these bullets would have done to a regular cement block or wall.

Block can be made in any size or configuration, limited only by the way in which you build the form you use to pour the uncured material into. The 12x12x18" size is recommended because of the shear weight of the material. The fiberfoamconcrete mix can also be used as a mortar when binding the blocks together.

http://www.awrm.org/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=000094;p=0

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

You should reinforce around your doors and along the lower 3'-4' of your walls at least. Every little bit helps, from the method listed by Pauly to simply putting your big, bulky(dence) furniture in the proper places.

Stone/block facia around the outside enhances both defensive capability and resale value. Book shelves along outside walls is a plus as well(if you're going to keep them, make them more useful). If you're going the ceramic tile route, might I suggest the thick Spanish (floor)tiles, even part way up the walls.

Build partially underground and/or build low walls(again 3-4') and arches near entances. Even around the whole house out to 10' and bill as a wrap around patio.

A safe room is great, but you have to survive long enough to get to it. Hence, building up your entryways.

The most important part to bulletproof is the sides of the house facing the street & high enough so you're protected when lying in bed, or on the couch / lazy boy.

Trust me on that one.

When you're asleep, your reaction time is obviously delayed.

The second pic down is a pillow on my bro's bed.

holes3.jpg

holes5.jpg

holes4.jpg

Pauly, They where most likely after the wheels on the car in the drive way. But anyway, when we had our house built, we had the builder fill the cinder block wall with concrete as the went up, and the basement is 9ft deep, only thing left to do is install the wall from where the wifes car sits and the 4 wheelers on the other side, into the other half of the basement. That's being built with 6x6 studs, 3/4" plywwod, 1/2" sheet rock and filled in between the studs with "stuff". It will leave the "cieling" or floor up stairs exsposed, for now, but that can be cured as the "den" is finished. But if it gets so bad that bullets start coming in there, it's already over with anyway. And NO, we don't sleep down there, we sleep in the bedroom up stairs, but have motion lights, cameras, and "other things" outside for early warning of assholes lurking around the house at night. I can pick someone up about 200 feet from the house.

Hello

I would guess that "Hardiplank" exterior siding materials (pretty popular down here in Texas) would contribute a bit to slowing down small arms fire. It's very dense cast concrete, heavy as a rock. Pretty hard to drive a nail through without pneumatics.

Might be worth investigating. It's cheap, looks good, and practical. Don't know that it would be bullet "proof" by itself, but it might be a good component to consider.

JMHO...

-guido

If I ever build my own home it will be done with sand filled walls and reinforced entries.

Nice thing is you only need to fill 4'-5' on a single level dwelling.

I don't want a 'Safe Room', I want a 'Safe House'.

And when I look longingly at a piece of property, I look at it from a standpoint of being defensible.

IMO if it's time to bulletproof the house, it's time to move....

Screw running scared.

I don't like to stick my hands in fire, or have sex with diseased prostitutes either. I'm a real wimp!

If your food falls off the stick when camping & you don't, you go hungry... Yeah, we don't LIKE to, but sometimes we do stuff that we don't like.

Ending the problem is more effective...

Also... I was 17, in the Navy & it was only $40.00 for a really hot chick!

That was 15 years ago & I've yet to develop symptoms, so she musta been clean. :)

IMO if it's time to bulletproof the house, it's time to move....

I have to agree with that. I'm not saying there wouldn't be some things you could do in the process of building the house if there wasn't a lot of cost or other consequences involved but if this is something that a person feels compelled to do out of necessity after the fact then there is a major "quality of life" issue here that would be untenable for me.

• Like 1

Hello

For real security (not just bullets) excavate into a hillside, build, then backfill back around it. Leave just the entrance wall open. Provide subteranean storage for food and secure areas (bunkers). Also consider alternate air intakes and ingress/egress. Excavating for fuel storage (LP is always a good choice for long-term storage) at the time of erection (building erection, that is....) might be a sound consideration.

Pick a high vantage point with good visibilty down the hill and you would rule the area.

Talk about soundproof....

But, I realize this is almost completely off-topic.

One thing that is closer to being on-topic, get a good dog. Not one you put in the yard and forget about, but a dog you welcome into your home and family.

Canines are pack animals, and once they are accepted into a "pack", (your family) protecting that pack is their main job. By protecting you, they are protecting themselves.

Use their keen sense of hearing, smell, and overall judgement. Trust it. A good dog, treated with kindness and respect, can be one of man's best survival tools.

They didn't get that title by accident....

JMHO...

-guido

Also... I was 17, in the Navy & it was only $40.00 for a really hot chick!

That was 15 years ago & I've yet to develop symptoms, so she musta been clean. :)

Yeah, but that's different. See, taking a chance while in the Navy is one thing. How about if, just before you inserted your unprotected penis into her, she was like "Oh, by the way baby, I'm HIV+" would you have been like "No way, I ain't turning down pussy!" and did the deed anyway? That's what this shit is like :lolol:

Like DogMan said, if I were building a new house, or had some spare cash to do some stuff to the house with, or something like that, sure why not upgrade some better home security measures. But if I NEED to have bulletproof walls because I am certain people are going to come murder me in my sleep, I'd be calling a realtor long before a contractor.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

But if I NEED to have bulletproof walls because I am certain people are going to come murder me in my sleep, I'd be calling a realtor long before a contractor.

Shit happens occasionally. If you can get masonry walls and maybe sand or concrete fill it might come in handy.

Hurricane katrina put many to the test on the leaving option. If I got too much money tied up and can't chance leaving short of a zombie invasion, then....

dont_try_it.jpg

• Like 1

Cement and re-bar holds up pretty good to SAF and RPGs but you have to worry about ricochets.

Sand stops rounds really well. Hence all those sand bags every vet has filled.

You could build really big "flower boxes" made out of rail road ties and put them around your house. Figure dirt is a lot prettier with flowers in it :haha:

• Like 1