Just pick up my first Saiga

Hi All,

Just picked up my first Saiga-12 on Thursday, Got it from Robert at R and R Targets.

I have a few questions for you sage veterans:

Best ammo to run through it, both shot and slugs? Mostly want to use the shotgun for three gun and my local clubs monthly action shotgun matches.

My Saiga did not come with instruction manuel, so if you guys could direct me to a good on-line source for the breakdown and more important reassembly of the weapon it would be greatly appreciated, one with pictures would be great, I'm a picture kind of person. Sooner or later I'm going to need to clean that thing.

I read about the gas port settings on this forum and will run the ammo I have on Sunday and see how it works. I'll start on the 2 setting and see.

Thanks in advance for the input and would listen to any other information you think is important....Teemch5

I just picked my first Saiga (IZ109) today less than two hours before this post. I bought it during my lunch break and now I can't concentrate on work because I keep dreaming about all the evil, zombie clay pigeons I'm going to kill with it. :) Mine didn't come with the manual either, but it did come with a 10 round ProMag in addition to the factory 5 rounder, so that's a decent trade in my book. :)

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure I'm 922 compliant when I stick that mag in. If I remove the thread protector on the barrel, I think I'm ok, but it's a gray area. That, however, is a matter for the 922r compliant forum section. Time for more research. :)

Congrats on your acquisition. What year is yours, btw?

I just picked my first Saiga (IZ109) today less than two hours before this post. I bought it during my lunch break and now I can't concentrate on work because I keep dreaming about all the evil, zombie clay pigeons I'm going to kill with it. :) Mine didn't come with the manual either, but it did come with a 10 round ProMag in addition to the factory 5 rounder, so that's a decent trade in my book. :)

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure I'm 922 compliant when I stick that mag in. If I remove the thread protector on the barrel, I think I'm ok, but it's a gray area. That, however, is a matter for the 922r compliant forum section. Time for more research. :)

Congrats on your acquisition. What year is yours, btw?

Test it before converting.

Break it in before deciding it doesn't work.

Also, test with the Russian 5.

1/2 the issues are gun related, then a bunch are Mag related. Testing with the Russian 5 will limit the possibility of you chasing your tail around the gun, when it's a mag issue.

Both the gun & mag issues can be overcome with a little work if you have any issues.

Test it before converting.

Break it in before deciding it doesn't work.

Also, test with the Russian 5.

1/2 the issues are gun related, then a bunch are Mag related. Testing with the Russian 5 will limit the possibility of you chasing your tail around the gun, when it's a mag issue.

Both the gun & mag issues can be overcome with a little work if you have any issues.

That's good advice. I'm currently planning on running 200-300 rounds through it before conversion. The first time I take it to the range, I'm only planning on using the Russian 5-round magazine, though I'll have the other mag with me just in case that doesn't work.

I bought mine used. The previous owner didn't own it long, according to the gun shop that sold it to the original owner, then bought it back from him. He reported only firing a mag or two through it. He clearly was firing something big, probably 3" shells, on the wrong gas setting, since there's definitely impact marks on the rear trunion, but I didn't notice any significant damage or anything that indicates the weapon is compromised in any way.

I can't wait to take it to the range. It will probably be Tuesday before I can get to fire it, though. I'm already planning a series of modifications to the weapons, but I'm going to do so one at a time and make sure everything is golden before moving on, which should help me isolate any issues. I'm in the IT industry, so I'm used to trouble shooting and incremental changes. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got a service manual with my new Saiga 12, but find it difficult to translate the descriptions in print to the reality of the gun itself. U-tube is hard for me to load for some reason. Is there a PRINT copy of some good basic "How To" info on take-down and rebuild, and diagrams that show where all the parts go on the gun...not like the service manual which seems very confusing to me. So far I have fumbled thru some of the basic stuff, but I am concerned that I will do something in ignorance that will do permanent damage to the gun (or to ME!).

Any info on books in print, or links to written and visual descriptions of the help I need will be appreciated.

AL