Chrome chipped or flaking inside Barrel

I always see members worried about chipping or damaging their Chrome lined Barrel while drilling or hacksawing the Barrel. Considering the blast pressure and the particles moving through the Barrel, not to mention the Fire and Heat . If those things did not damage the Barrel, I dont see why sawing and drilling would. Anyone here on this Forum ever experienced Chrome Flaking or Chrome chipping inside your Barrel????? Lets see it. Also lets hear what caused it.

Hard chrome should not be confussed with decorative chrome which is typically applied over nickle which is relativly soft.

hard chrome is usually applied over a harder base material and bonds on a molecular level which makes it resist flaking or chipping better than with decorative plating.

I've never had a problem with hard chrome in a saiga barrel but would still use careful machining practices.

Placing a good fitting plug of aluminum in the bore for support before sawing should help prevent any possible problems.

Edited by saigatechusa

Hard chrome should not be confussed with decorative chrome which is typically applied over nickle which is relativly soft.

hard chrome is usually applied over a harder base material and bonds on a molecular level which makes it resist flaking or chipping better than with decorative plating.

I've never had a problem with hard chrome in a saiga barrel but would still use careful machining practices.

Placing a good fitting plug of aluminum in the bore for support before sawing should help prevent any possible problems.

sigatech,

Great explanation between the two types of Chrome finishes. Molecular, and Plating. I think thats where people get confused. After seeing their $1,000 Chrome Coffee Table start flaking off. They think the same is going to happen to a Saiga Barrel.

sigatech,

Great explanation between the two types of Chrome finishes. Molecular, and Plating. I think thats where people get confused. After seeing their $1,000 Chrome Coffee Table start flaking off. They think the same is going to happen to a Saiga Barrel.

Decorative plating is also on a molecular level it's just applied to a softer substrate.

Decorative plating starts by polishing the part, plating with copper then polishing. depending on the final requirments it can be copper plated and polished several times to fill small scratches or imperfections, then nickle plated which gives the mirror apperance then chromium for corrosion resistance.

The nickle layer is what you see when decorative plating peels or flakes.

Edited by saigatechusa
  • 5 months later...

I have cut 2 barrels, the second was agressively cut with a rebar chop saw. Neither flaked. The stuff is not going anywhere.

I sanded and polished the inside of my gas block and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. It is shinier and much easier to clean now.

• 2 years later...

Clean the barrel better, it looks like plastic.

Mines looked like that several times, and after cleaning is back to the almost mirror shine.

(also this post is from 2011)

I wish it was but its the chrome. I scratched it with mt finger nail to see if it could plastic but I when I finally opened my eyes to look I had it on my finger man right next to the tear drop...wut am I gonna do!!!!!!!!

What you do is shoot the shit out of it.

It's a shotgun not a precision target/hunting rifle.

If prices or supply are still in orbit buy a replacement barrel now in production and replace it.

Edit:just looked at state of residence. Just turn it in. J/k

Edited by garnaz

Lmfdo!!! New York is the lame state

And I know it's a shotgun...a shotgun I paid sum good money for and I spent sum extra change

I thought they had sum warranty on stuff like

Oh does anyone know where I would be able to find a barrel already made n ready to put on.

I learned everything from you guys

I don't think it's the chrome, I notice that the marks stop just a hair before the muzzle crown, if it was chrome flaking off, I figure it would start flaking at a sharp(ish) edge like that.

Even if it is the chrome flaking, it's no where near a big enough issue to replace the barrel, it's just there for corrosion resistance.

Male testosterone?

Mine looks all fucked up towards the front of the barrel closest to the receiver. Probably 6-8 inchs deep but probably trash from the tons of dirt I made her inhale and exhale.

Pachunga buy my tromix monster brake im saleing. Itll turn them boys back into babies

Edited by travistp

I have seen this as well on mine. I'm thinking lead fowling as the chips are soft, like lead slag. Ran a tornado brush down my bore and all sorts of shiny chips came out. The bore then had a beautiful shine. But all of the chips were real soft, again like lead. If it were the chrome, you'd see pits left behind!

Might be a combo of plastic, lead, and carbon all melted together.

The Saiga is a real pig compaired to my other gas shotguns. It loves to hold it's carbon in!