HK front sight mounting questions

Hello gentlemen,

I was trying to determine if the people on this board ground down the front sight to the gas tube, and mounted it in that location, or did they mount it just behind the sight. I know it's not adviseable to weld it near the gas plug threads, but I didn't know if people set it that far back. Thanks in advance for your answers.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Tony will chime in here, but I did a couple of those, the HK front sight was attached about midway on the gas block. If you need an exact location that is not near the threads, measure it with your caliper and mark with pencil your location. No need to be real high tech about it, just accurate is all. Also I don't know how others handled this, but I had some minor overpenetration with the welding process. This lead me to purchase a brass lap and some abrasive compound to true up the bore of the gas block. Everything is just fine now.

I completly removed the original front sight, so that it was round just like the rest of the gas block. The H&K sight was then mounted backwards at the very front of the gas block and TIG welded on. I wanted the line of the gas block rising to be uninterupted into the front sight for a more seamless look.

I had no overpenetration issues, but I had that particular weld done for me by someone used to welding/fabricating bike parts. He used a water cooled high freq tig machine that i quote "does everything but blow you, and if it did that I'de never leave the shop".

Front Sight befor 1.JPG

Front Sight After 2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Nailbomb, not that it's a functional issue at all, but it looks like your welder installed the HK sight hood backwards. The HK weapons that I have seen have the slope facing towards the muzzle. Nice welds though!

LOL. did you read my post or just look at the pics?

Heres a highlight...

The H&K sight was then mounted backwards at the very front of the gas block and TIG welded on. I wanted the line of the gas block rising to be uninterupted into the front sight for a more seamless look.