.308 vs .30-06 my rifle depends on it!

My next rifle depends on the simple question of .308 vs .30-06.

Its basically Saiga .308 vs Remington 750 (and M1A somewhere in the very distant background).

I hear some people saying .30-06 and .308 couldnt be more different, then i hear others say they are basically the same thing.

i currently own a Bushmaster M4A3, Saiga 7.62 (fully converted, of course), Russian SKS, and M91/30...but i want a heavier hitter than that. I heard all the elephant gun owners talk about their 50's on thefiringline already...but thats out of the question.

the 750 is going to cost me around a grand, the Saiga wont cost me much more than 500, but i want a round that is going to be DIFFERENT from the 5.56 and 7.62. Looking for a long range sniper type rifle, with a big boom at the range to set aside from the carbines. if the 30-06 is that much more powerful than the .308 ill take it, but i dont know that it is. any help would be appreciated.

i currently own a Bushmaster M4A3, Saiga 7.62 (fully converted, of course), Russian SKS, and M91/30...but i want a heavier hitter than that.

A 308 will not be a heavier hitter than a 91/30, although it will be capable of a greater rate of fire. And the 30.06 is not significantly more powerful than the 7.62x54r.

i currently own a Bushmaster M4A3, Saiga 7.62 (fully converted, of course), Russian SKS, and M91/30...but i want a heavier hitter than that.

A 308 will not be a heavier hitter than a 91/30, although it will be capable of a greater rate of fire. And the 30.06 is not significantly more powerful than the 7.62x54r.

oops, actually i forgot to add that i meant with the exception of the 91/30. because that thing is nice and all but its bolt action and the recoil is fun until the next morning. i want something i can shoot for a while at the range smoothly.

Then go 30-06. It is the more powerful round on the whole, but what you'll hear most people say is that .308 rounds can be loaded to match some 30-06 in ballistics.

.308 is definitely going to be the lighter recoil round, along with being the flatter shooting round, but 30-06 will give you more killing potential while hunting for shots over 300 yards. Keep in mind, .308 has won more long distance shooting matches than any other .30 cal bullet on the market, due to its light recoil and commendable accuracy.

In short, if you want extra oomph with extra recoil, go 30-06. If you want an easier recoiling rifle, that is easier to put rounds on target at longer ranges, go .308. Both are great rounds that you won't be disappointed with, and neither sound like 5.56x45 or 7.62x39

Edit:

If you want something to set you apart, get a PSL. They're freaking cheap again.

Edited by Salmonking

Not to bust any balloons here, but .308/7.62x51 was developed to be identical to the ballistics of the common 30-06 military load of WWII.

They shoot the same bullet.

The ballistics for a 30-06 CAN be better, but only because it has a slightly larger powder volume per round. This is commonly done in commercial hunting ammos for the 30-06.

The Russian 7.62x54 is fine for plinking, and could have good numbers, but have fun sourcing quality ammo for it, or finding boxer primed cases to work up a good load for the weapon.

Get a good .308 Savage or Remington and some decent glass, learn the basics, and see how far down the rabbit hole you feel like falling.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello

.338 Lapua. Hands down the King of Ballistics. Kicking the .50's to the curb. Not cheap plinking, but sheer awesomeness for long-range shooting and a manageable platform (weapon is less than half the weight of a .50)

Everybody is rushing .338's to market, Remington has a 700 based gun that is pretty reasonably priced.

JMHO....

-guido

.338 Lapua. Hands down the King of Ballistics. Kicking the .50's to the curb. Not cheap plinking, but sheer awesomeness for long-range shooting

I saw one at the range a couple of months ago. The whole place was shaking whenever he took a shot. Made my M44 seem like a .223 in comparison.

Not to bust any balloons here, but .308/7.62x51 was developed to be identical to the ballistics of the common 30-06 military load of WWII.

The ballistics for a 30-06 CAN be better, but only because it has a slightly larger powder volume per round. This is commonly done in commercial hunting ammos for the 30-06.

The Russian 7.62x54 is fine for plinking, and could have good numbers, but have fun sourcing quality ammo for it, or finding boxer primed cases to work up a good load for the weapon.

Get a good .308 Savage or Remington and some decent glass, learn the basics, and see how far down the rabbit hole you feel like falling.

Just my 2 cents.

I get match grade 7.62x54R brass from Graf & Sons, 165gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets and do consistant 1 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards.

I've also put venison in the freezer with my 91/30 sport conversion.

30-06 WILL take anything you care to shoot at in North America.

post-26212-053597100 1285708548_thumb.jpg

Edited by CJS3

Just my 2 cents.

I get match grade 7.62x54R brass from Graf & Sons, 165gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets and do consistant 1 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards.

I've also put venison in the freezer with my 91/30 sport conversion.

30-06 WILL take anything you care to shoot at in North America.

My point was .308 with Federal Gold Medal Match (that you can get everywhere for $20 a box)is a better buy for availability if he wants a tack driver.

1.5 moa is good, don't get me wrong, but you aren't going to get that ammo at walmart. A 308 build has the benefit of common cheap match grade ammo and reloading components.

i think i have pretty much decided on the Saiga .308. First reason: I love me some saiga. Second reason: Much cheaper, same power. Third reason: Conversions are fun, and makes the gun extremely customizable and unique. The Remy would be nice, but ive also heard the detachable mags arent so detachable. Quick reloads are not really possible. Plus ive heard the 30-06 isnt worth the extra 400 bucks.

• Like 1

If you could still find a Saiga 30-06, I'd say try one of them. But a Rem autoloader won't match the reliability of a Saiga. Doing the conversion will improve your ergonomics, whereas adding a p-grip to a Rem auto will do nothing. Ultimately everyone who likes the Rem autos admits they're a niche gun - for hunting only, semi-auto good for one mag only, lifespan in terms of bullets suited for hunting only.

That's not to say I would never consider getting one to play with, but play with it I would, to try to change some element of the equation.

Oh yeah... if barrel life matters to you, you have one more reason to go with a .308.

Thanks G3, I almost forgot about that.

Speaking on that subject, you might also consider a PTR91/H&K91/C91 depending upon your gunsmithing and budgetary capabilities. $2 a mag and better accuracy and reliability than a Saiga when built well. (no gas system)

Edited by Heath_h49008

If you look at the numbers, they are not much different. Individual cartridge loads vary far more than the median performance of the two chamberings.

The .308 was designed to replicate the performance of the .30-06 in a cartridge that could be more easily adopted to be magazine fed. They did not duplicate it exactly, but it is closer than most people think.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/30_06.html

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/?url=/ballistics/308_winchester.html&x=2&y=3

Edited by J.C.