What To Get.. .380 Makarov, KT P3AT, or EZ9

Tossing around next pistol purchase as I am at 0 pistols again..

Zastava EZ9 9mm (like Sig) $3XX

Baikal Makarov 380ACP IZ-17A $280

Kel-Tec 380ACP P3AT $250

I'd prefer SA/DA vs. the long KT trigger pull..

Anyone have any of these.??? I had the IJ-17A (12 round model) 380 and it was my first :wub: back in 95'.

Heard good things on the EZ9 and the ammo would be cheaper than 380ACP...

Edited by YWHIC

Did you considered a CZ-82? It's the most modern of the 9mm Mak pistols - has polygonal rifling, ambidextrous controls, can be carried cocked, etc. Fine weapon. .308 ACP kind of sucks, IMO.

EZ9 is pretty good tho, sort of a "poor man's Sig P226".

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

The P3AT is the smallest so far as concealment. My local gunsmith has only seen one or two requiring repair over the last several years, so they seem reliable.

Agree with above, the CZ82's are well built, although significantly larger than the KelTec,but the round is larger too.

I know Ruger's a dirty word around here, but I think the Ruger LCP (which I carry) is better than the Kel-Tec P3AT. You might want to look into one, since they often run about the same, price-wise. If you go with either, snag a Size 2 Uncle Mike's holster and you can easily carry it in a pocket. Of course, that's if and only if you are planning to carry. Neither the P3AT or the LCP are fun to shoot, since they are light and punishing. They'll shoot just fine, but they aren't something to take to the range and enjoy.

• Like 1

None of the above.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a P-64.

They're smaller than a Makarov, yet still run the rather powerful 9x18.

They're a Walther PPK clone. They're sexy as all hell, but the best part is, they're about the most acurate compact 9x18. They're definately the smallest.

Loaded chamber indicator, good looks, better acuracy than a G-17, the ability to fire .380 in a pinch & $200.00 price tag.

You just can't lose.

P64left2.jpg

I own an FEG PA-63 chambered for 9mm Mak. It's a PP clone. Recoil spring and trigger spring replacements are a must, because the recoil is snappier than it needs to be with the stock recoil spring and the DA trigger pull is unbearable with the stock trigger spring. After installing a couple of Wolff springs, it becomes a great little gun. It's my car gun and also fits very nicely in a pant pocket. It's very light, due to its aluminum receiver. Fits my hand like a glove too.

By the way, they haven't been widely available for a couple of years now, but Southern Ohio Gun just got them in at $165 (I believe).

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I own an FEG PA-63 chambered for 9mm Mak. It's a PP clone. Recoil spring and trigger spring replacements are a must, because the recoil is snappier than it needs to be with the stock recoil spring and the DA trigger pull is unbearable with the stock trigger spring. After installing a couple of Wolff springs, it becomes a great little gun. It's my car gun and also fits very nicely in a pant pocket. It's very light, due to its aluminum receiver. Fits my hand like a glove too.

By the way, they haven't been widely available for a couple of years now, but Southern Ohio Gun just got them in at $165 (I believe).

I put in an 18 lb mainspring in the P-64, but kept the factory recoil spring.

Wolf's replacement recoil spring makes the gun too hard to remove the slide for my tastes.

Also, a Walther PPK 18 lb spring works great for reducing trigger weight if you can find one locally.

That's what we were all doing before wolf started making the reduced power springs for the P-64s.

But yeah... So damn accurate for a small gun.

Edited by Paulyski

Zastava EZ9 9mm (like Sig) $3XX

Baikal Makarov 380ACP IZ-17A $280

Kel-Tec 380ACP P3AT $250

I have the Kel Tec P-32, which is nearly identical to the P3AT. It absolutely disappears on your person. For that reason, I frequently have it with me. It's very reliable, also.

I had the P3AT, but that was back when it was impossible to find ammo for it.

I had the following pistols at some point since 1995:

Baikal Makarov in 380 (was the 12 rnd version)

HS2000 (aka Springfield XD9)

Sig 228

Glock 30

Kahr MK9 SS model.

KBI Hi-Power Clone (with polish.ramp work done)

Llama Mini-Max 45 (10 round compact)

Kel-Tec P32

Taurus CIA .38/357 revolver with 1 3/4" barrel :chris:

Smith-Wesson Sigma 40L

Over the years as bills have hit me hard I have sold some of them, then finally all of them once bitten by the Saiga bug last year..

I have owned the Glock 30 on 3 different occasions, and a Sig 228 model twice also...

What about the Rock Island 45's there right at $359'ish ??

Al

Leaning toward EZ9.. its around $340 (or less).

15 Rounds of 9mm isn't bad either and its similar to the Sig design.

Anyone else have sub $300 or so suggestions??

I saw a few places online having Yugo Toks for $180. Seem like nice guns. Pack a nice punch and very cheap to shoot.

Hello

I have a couple of P3AT's, also a couple of LCP's. Nice little pocket protectors, but I have a new favorite carry weapon.

Ruger SR9-C. No SA/DA option, but for $315 this is one sweet little pistol. 1-+1 single stack, fully ambi, great sights, etc.

You are cheating yourself if you don't look at this one. PM me for a place with this price if you can't find it (Google should pull it up)

JMHO.....

-guido

i really like my bulgy mak. 9x18 its my carry gun.very accurate and feels good in the hand.only thing is it seems that spare mags are getting hard to come by.also i have nothing but good things about the ez9,seems to be a good bang for the buck(all pun intended)

I have a FEG R61. It's a little smaller then the PA63...6+1 as opposed to 7+1. don't know if that makes it a ppk clone or what. Good for concealment and the 9x18 is a good round, The FEG's are about $200. I just found a sig p226 for $420 delivered on gunbroker. Bigsal just bought an EZ9 for $330 delivered. There are some good deals out there.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Like SA/DA attributes.. anything else sub $300 in semi-auto you folks HAVE??

I have an Arcus 98DA. HiPower derived clone. Drop free mags, accurate as hell, and built like a tank (all steel). I got it for around $300 on GB over a year ago. I also have the Kel-tec P3AT. I usually carry it around the house and it is very concealable but has a very pronounced muzzle flip.

Bigsal just bought an EZ9 for $330 delivered. There are some good deals out there.

TTF:> If I had waited three more weeks I could have saved $30! Budsgunshop.com has the EZ9 for $301 shipped.

OP:>The EZ9 is the best value for the money. It has less parts and more features than the Inferior Sig 226. I mean standard chrome lined barrel, rail, ambidextrous magazine release and chambered round indicator are all features that the stock 226 lacks....

I will probably do a review over on sigforum.com just to piss them off, but until that time know this: The Zastava EZ 9 wins my Thumbs Up Rating. :super:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1