Under Gassed

I went to my second 3gun match with the Saiga12 last weekend. There was another shooter there with a Saiga12. His gun ran perfectly. Mine, not so much. He said his started running consistantly once the gas ports were opened up.

I've done all the tricks to mine except opening the gas ports. I tried to remove the gas block once before with no luck. That sucker is really on there tight. This time I made a press from a piece of 1/8" flat steel and attached it to the wall about 15 inches off the floor. This gave me the mechanical leverage I needed to really put some pressure on the gas block. I still had to tap the lever on the press till it came off. What a pain. I drilled out the ports (3 on this gun) and opened up the hole in the gas block.

I took it to the range after I put it all back together. I ran 125 rounds of high brass, low brass, steel shot, lead shot from #4 up to #7.5 loads and it ran perfect!!! Finally!!!!!

What ammo do you use for your matches?

The guy that sets up the matches around me hates Saigas and also competes with his Benelli so he sets it up biased to himself. He sets the steel very sturdy, uses heavy bird shot, and mixes slugs into the course. I haven't competed in his matches yet, but I met him at a 3 gun demo and he let me run through his course several times. He's actually a very nice guy, he just likes his Benelli. :lolol:

Because of the stiff steels I bought a case of Kent fast lead #5 1-1/4oz bird shot from ables. It knocks the action back on my mid barrel braked gun strong and will hopefully lay down anything in its path.

Because of the slugs mixed in I ordered a LRBHO, but I don't think I'll have it by the upcoming Match at the end of October.

I was using #6 high brass and that stuff put the steel down with authority... when the gun functioned. The matches I go to don't allow anything larger than #6. Some of the Benelli guys were using #7.5 or #8 bird shot with a choke. Now that I have a gun that will cycle anything, I'm thinking about looking into a choke.

I used a pneumatic hammer with a flat chisel bit to remove my gas block. I placed the muzzle (thread protector on) on a 2x4 on the ground and the bit against the shoulder where the handgrip screw threads in and drove it right off. Opening up the ports was the best thing I ever did for my S12, its unstoppable now.

Edited by JoeAldrich

I used a pneumatic hammer with a flat chisel bit to remove my gas block. I placed the muzzle (thread protector on) on a 2x4 on the ground and the bit against the shoulder where the handgrip screw threads in and drove it right off. Opening up the ports was the best thing I ever did for my S12, its unstoppable now.

+1 on that, i can winchester universal's all day long :killer:

• Like 1