Which Slugs are you using on Deer out the S12?

I have a mule deer hunt coming up next week and I have my 30-06 ready to go, but during the midday I want to hunt the woody areas with my Saiga 12 (which I will also use for upland hunting for my nightly BBQ when camping).

So what slugs are you using on deer?

You probably have already done this but check to make sure what kind of slugs you can use. We have to use rifled slugs if using a smooth bore. I didn't know that when I went hunting two years ago. Whatever kind of slug you use it's gonna knock the shit out of them! :super::killer:

You probably have already done this but check to make sure what kind of slugs you can use. We have to use rifled slugs if using a smooth bore. I didn't know that when I went hunting two years ago. Whatever kind of slug you use it's gonna knock the shit out of them! :super::killer:

No goofy rules for smoothbore vs. rifled. It just has to be a single projectile, so Buckshot is not allowed.

I just wanted to see if it is really worth paying $3+ a round for the higher end slugs (like Federal Premium) - less meat damage, better accuracy, or any other reasons.

Sounds so far like cheapy stuff is fine!

No goofy rules for smoothbore vs. rifled. It just has to be a single projectile, so Buckshot is not allowed.

I just wanted to see if it is really worth paying $3+ a round for the higher end slugs (like Federal Premium) - less meat damage, better accuracy, or any other reasons.

I'm not sure why you say that's goofy, but if you don't want to pay more for better accuracy and distance, that's your call.

I'm not sure why you say that's goofy, but if you don't want to pay more for better accuracy and distance, that's your call.

That is kind of the point of this thread... tell me what are you using and why is it better than the other stuff out there.

I can get a diamond embedded gold or platinum slugs if I want to have the most expensive ammo available, but I am looking for something that gives me tangible advantages for the money.... not just a way to piss money down the drain.

If a Federal Premium Sabot gives me 50 yards more reach with better accuracy, then I don't have a problem paying more. Just tell me what the quantifiable benefits you have experienced are with your particular deer load.

Also, since I don't have one of the <10 rifled barreled Saiga 12's in the country, it doesn't matter to me what shoots well out of a rifled barrel. I don't have a requirement that the barrel can't be a smoothbore to shoot sabots in my state so I am open to whatever load is working best on deer in your smoothbore Saiga 12 without a paradox choke.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Winchester gives me spot on accuracy at 50 yards...point and shoot. At 100 yards shooting from a standing position i can get a 6" group. At $8.15 for 15 rounds I see no better option. I don't think my shooting ability will get any better results with any other ammo. Maybe if you were a freakin military sniper with Mad skills you would expect better accuracy, but I think that 6" at 100 yards is pretty fuckin' acceptable ! Accuracy and cheapness together again!

Question: Are you using Iron sights? Are you using a shotgun scope?

With the scope you can get a bit better pin point aim out past 50. You may want to try it and see what your gun likes. It would be way cool to use the same round your father is using if your S12 likes the taste of it.

If its Iron sights ( I like this the best just for myself ) then its the same affair. Buy three different brands and shoot them and compare targets. Let your S12 cool down between strings as you will be shooting from a cold barrel anyway if in the woods walking.

I feel like I should not say that as it sounds like you already know what you are doing with the .30-06...........VERY good round. Over a hundred years old and still knocking the piss out of them...........including my shoulder.:lolol:

Best

Frosty

Question: Are you using Iron sights? Are you using a shotgun scope?

With the scope you can get a bit better pin point aim out past 50. You may want to try it and see what your gun likes. It would be way cool to use the same round your father is using if your S12 likes the taste of it.

If its Iron sights ( I like this the best just for myself ) then its the same affair. Buy three different brands and shoot them and compare targets. Let your S12 cool down between strings as you will be shooting from a cold barrel anyway if in the woods walking.

I feel like I should not say that as it sounds like you already know what you are doing with the .30-06...........VERY good round. Over a hundred years old and still knocking the piss out of them...........including my shoulder.:lolol:

Best

Frosty

I am using iron sights (the aftermarket Russian ones). It is currently sighted in for the cheap Winchester packs and I get good groups, but I wanted to see if anyone had another magnetic deer killer for within 50 yards.

RobRez thanks for the info. Since time is ticking away, I am likely to just stick with what I have which happens to be the cheap Winchester stuff.

The 30-06 will be for out to 350 (though I am confident it will work far past that), but any further than that and I will probably stalk a little closer.

Thanks again for the help guys!

winchester super x are real accurate through my s12.

Winchester gives me spot on accuracy at 50 yards...point and shoot. At 100 yards shooting from a standing position i can get a 6" group. At $8.15 for 15 rounds I see no better option. I don't think my shooting ability will get any better results with any other ammo. Maybe if you were a freakin military sniper with Mad skills you would expect better accuracy, but I think that 6" at 100 yards is pretty fuckin' acceptable ! Accuracy and cheapness together again!

x2 on the Winchester. When I first got the S12 I did a couple boxes of Remington Sluggers and Winchester value slugs as a comparison. The winchesters won by a long shot (4" group at ~100 yards from a bench) and now they are the only slug that I feed my gun.

Edited by sputnik360

Winchester value pack for me as well. Slugs for $.60 each are great however if it were me I would buy the three inch version for the extra speed. IMO expensive slugs in a smooth short barrel (under 26") is a waste and I firmly believe the claims for better accuracy one slug to the next is complete hokum.

Edited by Chowderhead72

This thread has been an interesting read, but the responses all deal in the preparation for the hunt (selection of ammo, sights, etc) I would really like to hear from some of the Saiga Owners who have dragged their guns thru the woods to down whatever critters they were hunting. Pigs... Deer... Small game... Waterfowl? What have you actually hunted with a Saiga. What ammo works best on which 'victim'?

The second part of that overall hunting question would fall back on how the Saiga fits into the hunting Regs in your state? I would imagine the well-loved 20 rd drum would probably be outlawed in the hunting realm, but don't know for sure. Is the factory 5 rd legal in the field or must one buy one of the 2 rd. boxes?

Will some of you hunters please take some time to outline your field (as opposed to your prep.) experience with the Saiga 12.

I found the answer to most of my question in another thread further down the list. Thanks for that info, guys, and feel free to add to it if you would .

Cobra is making me a two round magazine and setting me up with an adapter to use winchoke rifled choke for deer....havent hunted with it yet....

I have just searched the Indiana regs for Mag Size limits. They have the two-shot limit for Birds, but NO Limit on Mag Size for general hunting (other than waterfowl). So the big-sticks or drums could be used if you want to carry all that weight under your gun. Indiana does not permit Buckshot for Deer...Slug only. AND they have a list of non-approved calibers for deer hunting, 30 Cal Carbine and 38 Spl being two that would affect me. I don't own a .223 so thats no loss for me.