I got my friend one for his wedding present. I liked it so much I almost didn't give it to him.

I just picked up a S&W .44 ($340 with 2 boxes of ammo. :eek: ) The trigger on the Smith is way better then the Ruger probably 1/2 of the pull weight and butter smooth.

When I was 15, I went with my Father to Furrs and he purchased a Ruger Security Six. He passed away the following year and I have had it ever since. BTW...I'm 47 now, and have fired probably around 300+ rounds (varying types) through it over the years. It is reliable, accurate and still in new condition. Not a SP 101 but probably not far from it.

I got my friend one for his wedding present. I liked it so much I almost didn't give it to him.

I just picked up a S&W .44 ($340 with 2 boxes of ammo. :eek: ) The trigger on the Smith is way better then the Ruger probably 1/2 of the pull weight and butter smooth.

With a little bit of work, a Ruger's trigger pull can be made lighter, smoother, and more crisp. That's what I've done to all of my wheel guns, but none are as smooth as my Taurus 86 Target Master. It's ridiculous how smooth the cocking of the hammer is, as well as firing in DA.

Yeah, I couldn't find any negative reviews of it either.

.....and no, I don't plan on carrying it, so I'll go for the longest barrel I can find. From Ruger's site, the longest barrel they offer in the SP101 .357 is 3.06". YWHIC, where did you find a 4" model? Maybe they no longer make them? I couldn't find it on Ruger's site.

Yeah, I couldn't find any negative reviews of it either.

.....and no, I don't plan on carrying it, so I'll go for the longest barrel I can find. From Ruger's site, the longest barrel they offer in the SP101 .357 is 3.06". YWHIC, where did you find a 4" model? Maybe they no longer make them? I couldn't find it on Ruger's site.

You know, I haven't seen a 4 incher before either. It's usually the 2 1/4" or the 3"

4" model was discontinued according to Wikipedia...

I keep a 2 1/4" .357 Magnum in my nightstand. It is pretty nice...except for the trigger pull...good enough, though. I like how you can shoot .38 Special from it, too. Saves a little on ammo since I have plenty .38 Special stock piled.

4" model was discontinued according to Wikipedia...

I keep a 2 1/4" .357 Magnum in my nightstand. It is pretty nice...except for the trigger pull...good enough, though. I like how you can shoot .38 Special from it, too. Saves a little on ammo since I have plenty .38 Special stock piled.

it's not all too difficult to smooth the trigger pull, you should really give it a try and see what kinda results you get.

Ah, discontinued. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for digging up that info.

........as for the trigger, I've read that there are cheap, easy ways to make it better. I haven't looked hard into it just yet, though. If I run back across the info, I'll post up the links.

Ah, discontinued. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for digging up that info.........as for the trigger, I've read that there are cheap, easy ways to make it better. I haven't looked hard into it just yet, though. If I run back across the info, I'll post up the links.

If you're unhappy, I'll take it as a late birthday gift :devil:

I don't have an SP101 but I do have a 4" GP100 .357 and I love it. I plan on getting a 6" GP100 and maybe a 2.25" SP101. (I already have two S&W revolvers with 2" barrels)

If you've got that wheelgun fetish like many of us do, you can never have too many revolvers. Ever! :super:

I don't have an SP101 but I do have a 4" GP100 .357 and I love it. I plan on getting a 6" GP100 and maybe a 2.25" SP101. (I already have two S&W revolvers with 2" barrels)

If you've got that wheelgun fetish like many of us do, you can never have too many revolvers. Ever! :super:

Oh yeah . . . And I recently started re/handloading . . . I wanted a S&W 460 REAL BAD before . . . It's almost killing me now!

It's just hard for me to "pull the trigger" because it would be purely for fun. But damn, what fun! :lol:

. . . And I'm really eyein' a few suppressors right now. :ph34r:

Edited by Raoul_Duke

Oh yeah . . . And I recently started re/handloading . . . I wanted a S&W 460 REAL BAD before . . . It's almost killing me now!

It's just hard for me to "pull the trigger" because it would be purely for fun. But damn, what fun! :lol:

I'm trying to decide on what kinda can I want for my G19.

I'm trying to decide on what kinda can I want for my G19.

I have a Gemtech Tundra on my G19. I got it about a year and a half ago during Gemtech's "Gemtax" special (when they paid for the $200 tax stamp) so I kinda just jumped on it, but I am quite happy with it. That being said I do wish it had been designed to be disassembled and cleaned by the user, not just the manufacturer. But it has a lifetime warranty of sorts, I got a good deal and it sounds good to me. But there are many other options . . .

. . . Back on topic, Shooter, if you want the gun and can afford it, I don't think you will be disappointed. One thing I do want to change on my GP100 is the front sight, it's solid black and can be hard to see in low light. I'm thinking of replacing it with a HIVIZ fiber optic sight.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one when the money's right. I don't have any wheel guns, and I don't have any stainless guns. The SP101 would fill both of those voids. :super:

Blashphemy! You're kicked out of the club for not owning a single wheel gun!! I still love you, bro :lolol:

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one when the money's right. I don't have any wheel guns, and I don't have any stainless guns. The SP101 would fill both of those voids. :super:

Blashphemy! You're kicked out of the club for not owning a single wheel gun!! I still love you, bro :lolol:

I know, I know. :lolol:

To be fair though......I never bothered to get a pistol permit when I was in NY. So my access to handguns/pistols/revolvers was prohibited up until about 3 months ago when I moved to SC. But 2 Glocks within a month of changing my driver's license over (one of which was within an hour of getting my license) should make up for that, right? :D

• Like 1

I know, I know. :lolol:

To be fair though......I never bothered to get a pistol permit when I was in NY. So my access to handguns/pistols/revolvers was prohibited up until about 3 months ago when I moved to SC. But 2 Glocks within a month of changing my driver's license over (one of which was within an hour of getting my license) should make up for that, right? :D

Hmm, the council agrees, you are still in the club, for now... but your next infraction will be severely punished! :ded:

Nice, tough little guns. My dad also has a security-six that has taken many a deer. I have a GP-100 that is rock solid. I read now that Ruger is making a LCR in .357. Those have an amazing trigger pull.

Yeah, I've heard about the LCR coming out in .357. But I've read and seen a few videos on catastrophic failures of the .38 LCR's that steer me away from them. At least for now. Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out.

Nice, tough little guns. My dad also has a security-six that has taken many a deer. I have a GP-100 that is rock solid. I read now that Ruger is making a LCR in .357. Those have an amazing trigger pull.

Yeah, I've heard about the LCR coming out in .357. But I've read and seen a few videos on catastrophic failures of the .38 LCR's that steer me away from them. At least for now. Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out.

Pistol whipping somebody is my true concern with the LCR.

The LCR in general feels lighter than my cell phone, which is already light, so there's not much substance behing the LCR. I understand you want light for carry, but I'd feel more comfy carrying around a plastic squirtgun pistol instead of that hunk of junk.

Another very good point. :lolol:

The LCR in general feels lighter than my cell phone, which is already light, so there's not much substance behing the LCR. I understand you want light for carry, but I'd feel more comfy carrying around a plastic squirtgun pistol instead of that hunk of junk.

Yeah, it really seems there's some bugs that need to be worked out. I'm not comfortable with the amount of failures I've read about in the relatively short time it's been out.

Another very good point. :lolol:

Yeah, it really seems there's some bugs that need to be worked out. I'm not comfortable with the amount of failures I've read about in the relatively short time it's been out.

Yeah, it's not like they're few and far between, they are failing like most kids today are failing classes.

I have a SP101 3" in the .327 Mag. It is a sweet shooter. Almost as much punch as the 357 but with a whole lot less recoil. If I wanted the 357, I would opt for the GP-100. My Security-Six 357 packs a good recoil and IMO the smaller frame of the 101 is a bit light for the big bore.

post-14844-058263100 1287109562_thumb.jpg

I have a SP101 3" in the .327 Mag. It is a sweet shooter. Almost as much punch as the 357 but with a whole lot less recoil. If I wanted the 357, I would opt for the GP-100. My Security-Six 357 packs a good recoil and IMO the smaller frame of the 101 is a bit light for the big bore.

I was looking at that, but a lot of folks are worried about .327 already being phased out.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing the GP-100 too, since starting this thread and hearing people give it praise. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing the GP-100 too, since starting this thread and hearing people give it praise. Thanks for the tip.

Love them both. GP-100 is a little large, but the SP-101 drops right in your pocket.