Which ammunition is unreliable to cycle the Saiga 12?

I'd like to experiment with the MD gas plug. My present gun shoots everything reliably with setting "1", so it may be that there is an issue of "overgassing".

Mr. Rumore has indicated at his site that heavy loads should not be shot with setting 2, so it seems he would agree with this as a source of potential damage.

The overgassing thing is easy to test. I have been told by the manufacturer that "1" on the stock regulator is about equivalent to 3-4 on the aftermarket plug, so seeing if the gun will cycle on a lower number will be the test. Presumably this will mean less wear on the gun and less recoil.

For underpowered loads, it may be a little difficult to test, as everything I have shot will work with 1 or 2, and mostly 1.

Can anyone suggest a widely available load that they have wanted to use, but have found won't cycle the Saiga well? I will try to find some and see if the aftermarket plug works to broaden the scope of what can actually be used in practice.

I'd like to experiment with the MD gas plug. My present gun shoots everything reliably with setting "1", so it may be that there is an issue of "overgassing".

Mr. Rumore has indicated at his site that heavy loads should not be shot with setting 2, so it seems he would agree with this as a source of potential damage.

The overgassing thing is easy to test. I have been told by the manufacturer that "1" on the stock regulator is about equivalent to 3-4 on the aftermarket plug, so seeing if the gun will cycle on a lower number will be the test. Presumably this will mean less wear on the gun and less recoil.

For underpowered loads, it may be a little difficult to test, as everything I have shot will work with 1 or 2, and mostly 1.

Can anyone suggest a widely available load that they have wanted to use, but have found won't cycle the Saiga well? I will try to find some and see if the aftermarket plug works to broaden the scope of what can actually be used in practice.

I have a suspicion that reliability issues are more a factor in differences between guns in the Saiga line, than any differences in ammo choices. While yours shoots fine on setting "1", I must use setting "5" (on the MD plug) in order to shoot both 00 buck and Federal low brass #7.5 shot. I also have to make certain the gun is held firmly to my shoulder....and have plans to polish the bolt, hammer and so forth, well, tomorrow in fact, time and inclination willing.

I'd enjoy hearing how your testing proceeds, and any results you'd be willing to share.

Thanks,

PJJ

Edited by PJJ

it really depends on youre guns set up. most stock saigas will have problems running low brass (mine ran federal low brass but thats was it) after a little work they can be made to shoot anything. i guess mine would probably crap out on LTL rounds. heres mine with some winchester universal

Edited by psl sniper
  • Like 1

With mine none, It will shoot anything. I have done no mods,there are correct ports, built in 06. At fisrt it didnt shoot squat consistantly, AT ALL.

3 out of 5 would hang up using low fps bulk packs. After reading and searching around this site I learned to feed it some higher FPS for awhile, ya it cost more but it will break itself in too a 100% reliable shotgun. I use proper setting for all loads

Mine will now eat every single round i feed it, it spits it all proper. low bulk to high.

My two sents as well as others feed it 3"00buck and anything else with high FPS

its nice to practice with lower fps rounds and other random rounds in my 12 . Now i dont want to sell it..lol

good luck soldier.

Edited by Indyk

Took out the new plug and the 7/8 (but 1340 fps) game and target shot to skeet range today. Rio target 1 1/8, Remington Gun club 1 1/8, the 7/8 oz and Wolf 00 buckshot all cycled perfectly on setting 4. On setting 3, the 00 wouldn't cycle. Alas. Back to the factory plug, which cycles everything on setting 1.

I have kept an eye out for the "universal" but haven't found it anywhere locally. Unless it is much cheaper than Rio or Gun Club I won't be buying it in bulk over the internet. Able to buy the Rio for 4.00 a box once this year, but can't find anything better than about 5.50 for a box of 25, and shipping can be a bear.

After one trip to the range:

With both the factory gas plug, and the TAC-47 plug, in an otherwise stock SAIGA-12, I hand no trouble with any buckshot or slugs.

Federal 7 1/2 and 8 birdshot, in 1 oz 3 1/4 dram or 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loadings fails to cycle more than half the time.

RecycledElectrons

Well no offense, but duh, the Saiga-12 was made to cycle buckshot and slugs.