Dracos: The only option?

As far as already-built AK pistols.......are Dracos the only option?

I want one, but it seems their quality is hit or miss, from what I'm reading.

Your best bet would be to go to a gunshow, and scope every single one out and pick the best you can find. I found my nearly perfect WASR after sifting through 15-20.

You need to step back and look at the big picture.

1) Nobody ever comes to a forum and crows about their guns "working", they only complain when they don't work. Don't you think if they were that "hit or miss", Century wouldn't sell them?

2) The same guy with different user names will go to several forums and post the same complaint.

3) Haters will continue to link to these threads, no matter how old they get as "proof" that the object of their hate is still worthy.

Looking at these odds, the Dracos are a kickass purchase.

1) They're manufactured of all milspec parts.

2) Century doesn't touch them with (they're pistols and not subject to 922r).

• Like 1

If you mean as in straight from another country, yes. There have been pistols made in the USA from foreign AKM parts.

If you mean as in straight from another country, yes. There have been pistols made in the USA from foreign AKM parts.

Yes, they do.

I've heard more 'hit or miss' stories about domestic AK pistols than I've heard about Dracos.

The Draco is nothing more than a semi-auto pistol version of the Aims-R carbine. The Romanians have been manufacturing them for years and have worked out all the kinks and the guns work right out of the box.

You can't say that about any particular American mixmaster AK pistol.

• Like 3

Yes, they do.

I've heard more 'hit or miss' stories about domestic AK pistols than I've heard about Dracos.

The Draco is nothing more than a semi-auto pistol version of the Aims-R carbine. The Romanians have been manufacturing them for years and have worked out all the kinks and the guns work right out of the box. You can't say that about any particular American mixmaster AK pistol.

I wouldn't even think of getting a pistol made in the USA by some fly by night garage or backyard outfit. It would have to be Tromix, Redstick, or Krebbs to even consider the idea.

However, I am just stuck on wanting something other than a Draco. I'm at the point where if nothing else comes available I might build one from spare saiga parts and or 74 surplus parts onto a virgin receiver if I can find one that will work.

2) Century doesn't touch them with (they're pistols and not subject to 922r).

You've got some good points, Nalioth. Mainly, I didn't know the above quote. I'll admit, when I heard "Century" when I first started reading up on these things......it steered me away a little bit. Glad to hear they don't mess with them.

I'll have to take Vai's advice and look for them at the upcoming gunshow.

But besides that.....what's the best place to get them online?

EDIT: So what's the deal with this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58351 Is there a reason we don't have them here?

Edited by -Shooter-

EDIT: So what's the deal with this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58351 Is there a reason we don't have them here?

Russian: Well, that would require a creative import strategy like importing barreled receivers with already fitted internals that can very easily

be built into a pistol. The same strategy could maybe open a path for the Bison pistols. Pistols can't be legally imported from Russia but I would hope that

barreled receivers would stand exempt since they really arn't a pistol or carbine by definition.

Bulgarian: In this case, I do not think there is one good reason why they can't be imported. The importer's expectation of profitability versus the willingness

of enough buyers to meet that level would be important enough to determine whether this would happen.

I'm looking at a Draco as well, to eventually SBR in fact. What's the price range for one in good shape from a fun show? Other than canted sights, what else are some of the known hiccups that have crept up over the years?

Thanks

Eric

$350 on gunstroker all day long

I'm looking at a Draco as well, to eventually SBR in fact. What's the price range for one in good shape from a fun show? Other than canted sights, what else are some of the known hiccups that have crept up over the years?

Thanks

Eric

They don't import enough.

• Like 1

Hello

I have a Red Jacket pistol bought a few years ago. It appears to be a first-rate build, (of course). I like the 24mm FSB threading (thinkin' suppressor...) as opposed to the 14mm on the Draco muzzle. I don't think R/J lists them any more.

They're both slated to be SBR'd.

-guido

Hello

I have a Red Jacket pistol bought a few years ago. It appears to be a first-rate build, (of course). I like the 24mm FSB threading (thinkin' suppressor...) as opposed to the 14mm on the Draco muzzle. I don't think R/J lists them any more.

They're both slated to be SBR'd.

-guido

I saw the pic in the other thread. Looks awesome!

But when I heard Red Jacket..........I'm going to assume it's out of my price range. I'd love anything from them, as I consider them at the top of the heap with Tromix, CGW, etc. One of these days though, I'll have something from one of these top-tier companies.

Yes, they do.

The Draco is nothing more than a semi-auto pistol version of the Aims-R carbine. The Romanians have been manufacturing them for years and have worked out all the kinks and the guns work right out of the box. You can't say that about any particular American mixmaster AK pistol.

I wouldn't even think of getting a pistol made in the USA by some fly by night garage or backyard outfit. It would have to be Tromix, Redstick, or Krebbs to even consider the idea.

However, I am just stuck on wanting something other than a Draco. I'm at the point where if nothing else comes available I might build one from spare saiga parts and or 74 surplus parts onto a virgin receiver if I can find one that will work.

An alternative is to buy a SLR-107UR or CR and just cut and recrown the barrel once your NFA paperwork clears. Voila; instant high-quality SBR. That's the route I'm taking.

An alternative is to buy a SLR-107UR or CR and just cut and recrown the barrel once your NFA paperwork clears. Voila; instant high-quality high-price SBR. That's the route I'm taking.

Buying AKs based on cosmetics and marketing legerdemain isn't the way to go, IMHO.

It's "function first" in my book.

"Jedi mind tricks" and "oooh, shiny!" don't factor into it.

• Like 1

An alternative is to buy a SLR-107UR or CR and just cut and recrown the barrel once your NFA paperwork clears. Voila; instant high-quality high-price SBR. That's the route I'm taking.

Buying AKs based on cosmetics and marketing legerdemain isn't the way to go, IMHO.

It's "function first" in my book.

"Jedi mind tricks" and "oooh, shiny!" don't factor into it.

I didn't buy a '107CR based on "cosmetics and marketing legerdemain". I bought it because of its pure scrumtrulescence. ;)

I see Atlantic carries them. I swear they offered a forum discount, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm still trying to figure out which of the couple places that carries them is going to be the cheapest, including shipping.

Are you still talking Dracos or..? :unsure:

I was serious in my suggestion. Buy a SLR-107CR, (or '107-UR, if you can afford it), and just shoot it with the factory 16" barrel until you get your stamp. Then just cut and re-crown the barrel. The beauty of these models is that, (unlike the Draco "pistol"), they come complete with 100-series US-made poly folding stocks, as well as factory receiver scope rails and 24x1.5 threaded FSB's. They're Bulgarian-made, (very high quality parts, fit, and finish), rather than Romanian, (can be marginal or poor).

The CR's seem a bit less popular, (the CR's barrel is ~4" longer than the UR's as an SBR but they're more effective at any range >25 yds), so they're generally less expensive. I bought mine for $800 less than a week ago.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I see Atlantic carries them. I swear they offered a forum discount, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm still trying to figure out which of the couple places that carries them is going to be the cheapest, including shipping.

Are you still talking Dracos or..? :unsure:

I was serious in my suggestion. Buy a SLR-107CR, (or '107-UR, if you can afford it), and just shoot it with the factory 16" barrel until you get your stamp. Then just cut and re-crown the barrel. The beauty of these models is that, (unlike the Draco "pistol"), they come complete with 100-series US-made poly folding stocks, as well as factory receiver scope rails and 24x1.5 threaded FSB's. They're Bulgarian-made, (very high quality parts, fit, and finish), rather than Romanian, (can be marginal or poor).

The CR's seem a bit less popular, (the CR's barrel is ~4" longer than the UR's as an SBR but they're more effective at any range >25 yds), so they're generally less expensive. I bought mine for $800 less than a week ago.

Yeah, my bad.....I'm still talking about Dracos.

I looked up those SLR models earlier when you mentioned them. They look nice and I don't doubt their quality, but a tad out of my price range for now. The folders on them are enticing though. ::drool::

Ten percent with your user name. It was in their first thread here.

If they still do that, I just may take advantage of that as well. I've actually been wanting to pick up a Maadi MISR, but Atlantic doesn't seem to be selling them anymore. Or maybe I'm just overlooking them on their list?

Thanks. I couldn't find it on my first search.

I picked up a Draco a few weeks ago. It works fine. Went bang every time I pulled the trigger. The rounds went a little left, but that can be dealt with. Only issues ive had with it are the one grip i got didnt fit the grip nut and the trigger gaurd. Also the trigger gaurd is a little rough and cut up my middle finger after a few hundred rounds. Really a fun toy.