Information Overload! Where do I start?

I'm thinking about (i.e. drooling at the prospect of) buying a Saiga-12, but after researching it, and finding this wonderful site, I'm completely overwhelmed with information. I guess my real question is this: Is the basic Saiga 12 "sporter", pre-conversion, a good home defense / hunting firearm? If (when) I buy one, I'll eventually do a conversion, but the choices available are so numerous, I'm at a loss for which options to choose. (btw, I do understand the 922r rules in reference to high-capacity magazines, et. al.)

Is the bare-bones, basic, out-of-the-box Saiga-12 sporter a decent weapon?

Hey, Sgt. Welcome.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a standard, "sporter" gun. I actually left mine in that config for quite a while before I finally converted it. It is still every bit as funtional as a converted one...it's just not quite as cool. In fact, some of the people who shot mine pre and post conversion preferred it pre. The monte carlo it comes with is a very solid stock and its an incredibly comfortable, natural gun to shoot in its default configuration.

Personally, though, a Saiga is not my choice for either home defense or hunting, but that has nothing to do with sporter vs. conversion. For home defense I like something I can leave loaded for a long, long time and not really have to think about. I also like something that is left safe but is easily readiable with gross motor actions. In other words, I like a good, old fashioned pump. For hunting, I like something with a longer barrel.

But that's just me. Lots of people on this forum use theirs for both, and I don't think you'll find any of them who felt the weapon was inadequate out of the box.

Regardless, whatever you're going to use it for, I really suggest you get one. It is easily one of my favorite weapons and something I have a ton of fun with.

Hello and welcome

The saiga is a very good weapon out of the box for hunting or home defence,

Just get a range of rounds to try to see what it will or will not shoot.

Mine would not shoot bulk pack (low brass 7.5 /8 shot) out of the box but all I done was polish the bolt and done a port job (mine was a 3 port 19")and it shoots anything I put in it.

Good luck and welcome:)

coverting does get expenseive, but as many of us have already said; It is COOL! :super: Some consider a lot of conversions to be TACTICOOL. It is one of the most close range destructive guns to hold in your hands converted or non converted which adds to the cool factor. you won't (i promise) regret getting one, if shooting is a frequent hobby of yours. If you're the kind of guy that gets out to the range 0-2 times a year, it isn't nessecarily IMO worth converting. A lot of people do conversions just to show off and to stun other people who have never heard of a magazine fed shotgun. There are TONNNSSS of options to do in relation to a conversion and add on's such as butt stocks, muzzle brake's, charging handle's, pistol grip's, rail systems, heat shields and tons more but that's what makes this gun special. Hope I could help convince you. Enjoy!

I have been considering it. I am in Jersey, and here any autoloading shotgun that has a pistol grip or holds more than 6 rounds in a magazine is considered an assault weapon.

I was trying to figure out if a non-converted Saiga 12 is worth getting. I did do a conversion on a Saiga 223, and that was a piece of cake. It is a fun rifle.

• Like 1

SgtMac20, I am a 'newbie' as well. This is my first payback post to help out someone else.

I recently got the Saiga-12 and am in the process of deciding how to proceed to convert it. It is not a matter of whether I will convert it, but how. I've been reviewing the comments by the experts on this site. Many of these folks are very knowledgable and passionate about these guns. I've been shooting mine to determine reliability (and for fun), and I believe it is a solid gun. It will be for home defense ...and lots of fun.

I have other firearms for self-defense (with which I train/practice) and I have other firearms for hunting, and I did not originally consider the Saiga-12 to be a hunting gun. I've learned that to some it is a hunting gun, particularly (I assume?) if you get one with a longer barrel. If hunting with it is your PRIMARY goal, and you do not want to spend much money on a high-end autoloader, then the Saiga will probably be OK, but I would not recommend that you convert it. It will still do well as a self-defense gun ...if you train.

If, however, you PRIMARILY want it for SELF-DEFENSE and to have FUN shooting it, then I HIGHLY recommend that you convert it. I'm finding half the fun is in deciding the configuration that suits me best ...there are nearly endless possibilities. I can easily see myself buying another ...then another ...probably get a high $ gun from one of the pro's.

I recently purchased and thoroughly reviewed the video Saiga Shotgun Gunfighting by Gabe Suarez. See onesourcetactical.com. He does an excellent job explaining why the Saiga is the best fighting shotgun, and he teaches a solid foundation on how to effectively use it.

At my age (I won't dwell too much on that), I am now reluctant to train for CQB with a pump gun (e.g., the Rem 870). With magnum loads, the softer recoil of an autoloader is a requirement for me. More importantly, I am now convinced that Gabe Suarez is correct about the effectiveness of the converted Saiga shotgun.

For me, the converted Saiga is a no-brainer. For you, as stated above, you must decide your primary purpose. In any case, go out and get one ASAP, and then decide. After you get it, I'm fairly confident what your decision will be. ;)

• Like 1

I have been considering it. I am in Jersey, and here any autoloading shotgun that has a pistol grip or holds more than 6 rounds in a magazine is considered an assault weapon.

I was trying to figure out if a non-converted Saiga 12 is worth getting. I did do a conversion on a Saiga 223, and that was a piece of cake. It is a fun rifle.

i believe a pistol grip equipped s-12 is a no-no in jersey ... but not a thumbhole stock.

here is a conversion kit:

http://www.mississip...tock-p-912.html

Edited by kmanoni

I'm thinking about (i.e. drooling at the prospect of) buying a Saiga-12, but after researching it, and finding this wonderful site, I'm completely overwhelmed with information. I guess my real question is this: Is the basic Saiga 12 "sporter", pre-conversion, a good home defense / hunting firearm? If (when) I buy one, I'll eventually do a conversion, but the choices available are so numerous, I'm at a loss for which options to choose. (btw, I do understand the 922r rules in reference to high-capacity magazines, et. al.)

Is the bare-bones, basic, out-of-the-box Saiga-12 sporter a decent weapon?

Converting yourself is one option and while it may be for fine many people I've also seen people run into some frustration and dissatisfaction with the end result. Don't forget there is another option, too. If you have the extra cash you can have one built by an expert that has all the refinements that may be beyond your expertise. Add up what it will cost you for the gun, parts, time, tools if needed, etc. Then take a look at some of the guns being offered by business members here. These guns will cost more, but is it really that much more when you consider that you are being handed a turn-key product built by a professional? I'm not saying this is the best way to go for you, but it might be.

i believe a pistol grip equipped s-12 is a no-no in jersey ... but not a thumbhole stock.

here is a conversion kit:

http://www.mississip...tock-p-912.html

The jury is still out on the legality of the thumbhole stock. I am checking with a knowledgeable NJ FFL. It must be nice to live in America. :angry2: