Gas tubes interchangeable?

Was just putting my new gas tube on my .308 (with upper handguard) and noticed it didn't fit with the locking lever.. Thought that was wierd so I grabbed all my other gas tubes (5.45, 7.62) and tried a bunch of em.. nothing fit but the original. I can see where I could dremel off a bit to allow it to lock in. Question is, why did they make it so it only fits its' specific gas tube.. is there a safty issue? I can't see any reason there would be, but for peace of mind I guess I'll ask.

well the simple answer is AK's are rough. i dont know your experience with rifles, but i was always into AR's until about a year ago when i purchased my first Saiga. Huge differences...the AR's are almost always perfectly machined...pieces fit smooth. AK's on the other hand are built ruff. To put it rather brutal, a AK just needs a little love and a lot of beating with a hammer and its great. That's misleading DONT BEAT YOUR RIFLE WITH A HAMMER, IM NOT RESPONSIBLE. lol.

but anyway, moving on, when i did my first conversion, i had the same problem. i switched to an AK gas tube. Most of the time these parts just barely fit. Everyone told me to just put some strength into it, itll go. Well it wouldnt, so i filed mine a bit and it fit snug. Just be careful how much you file, make sure its a snug fit, not too loose...the last thing you want is rattling rifle.

I dont think its intentional that they dont fit on other rifles. I think its just the fact that they probably just BARELY fit on the one its on.

yeah but I'm unsure as to how that would matter on the gas tube, just wondering if it's safe..

Because the standard gas tubes are taller on the underside where it connects with the rear sight block, and will be pushed up by the barrel too high for proper functioning.

yeah but I'm unsure as to how that would matter on the gas tube, just wondering if it's safe..

and S2thlather the hammer has been applied many times to my ak's, but this is wierder than what I'm used to.

completely safe. haha, im about to learn what you mean by its weirder than what youre used to. im about to buy my first .308

not too bad in general, the gas tube was the first snag really.. Also was the first ak I threaded with a dinzag kit but that was suprisingly easy.

Thanks jim, think I'll just dremel a bit off then, what you said makes perfect sense.