LRBHO Range Trip One

Well I promised a range report on my new LRBHO installed by Cadiz Gun Works so here we go. I got my S12 back last thurday. Our club was hosting a two gun yesterday so I brought it to test it out. Unfortunately the match lasted a lot longer then expected as the Gonzaga cadets were shooting with us so I only had about an hour to shoot...in the rain...before I got home 4 hours late.

In that hour I went through about 150 rounds. The LRBHO worked GREAT locking open after the last round and closing the bolt when a loaded magazine was inserted. This is not to say that it went without issues but as I was rushed I didn't have time to write everything down as I went....so as best I can remember; I had numerous failure to feed issues which I didn't have before the conversion. Often these happened durring magazine dumps as opposed to slow shooting... I had brought 4 magazines with me, a surefire 12 round mag, 2 x 8 round cut down surefires and a promag. Often the failure to feeds seemed to happen when there were only 2 rounds left in the magazine. A couple times the beak scratched the hull and when I wasn't doing mag dumps it seemed to work great. I didn't bring my drums. It' seemed like a weak magazine spring issue to me. In talking with Tom this morning for about a half hour I guess there were issues with 1st generation surefire mags...and I did get all my surefires off gunbroker for $25 each new in wrapper this year from the same seller. (Greg at CSS couldn't believe he was selling them so cheap as he couldn't touch them for that price...maybe that is why). Tom said he would trade me a surefire 12 magazine to help narrow down the issue...thanks Tom. Neither one of us was fond of the idea of me sending my gun back so I pressed him for some other things I could possibly do to correct these issues. Tom suggested a little polishing of the throat using a critex dremmel bit as I had noticed the shells were hanging up on the lower part....I called the hardware store and picked up two today. I am hoping to get another range trip in later this week to test the LRBHO again during mag dumps and just to play...I still have 250 rounds left so I don't even have to make a trip to wallmart...I can just sneak out during the work day. Tom was great taking great pride in his work and offering all the necessary assistance and gunsmithing. I am sure the issues will be worked out. Hopefully though I can work them out myself with a little polishing. I hope to report back to Tom with positive results after my next range trip. The LRBHO works great, it just needs a little tweaking in my gun....a big thanks to Tom and yes I would do it again in a heartbeat....what saiga mod doesn't need tweaking???

• Like 1

Its great to finally get some feedback on the LRBHO from Cadiz. I cant find any info on his site and I sent an Email last week asking a few questions but haven't heard anything back yet. Can you get it in a version that doesn't close the bolt when you insert a new mag? Ive been wanting to move my BHO to the side of my gun instead of taking up space in my trigger guard but I wanted to wait and see if I could do the same thing with this LRBHO. Any pics you could post would be awesome.

Ohh and I took ammo out of the equation. I was using 7 1/2 shot Federal 1290 FPS game loads which is what I mostly use and switched to a box of Winchester Xpress 1325 FPS ammo with no differnce.

Sorry I will have to work on pictures...starting with batteries to the camera...and then overcome the fact that my camera takes horrible closeups. Definately go with the deluxe version though as the bolt release button comes in handy. You will have to ask Tom if it can work with without closing on a full magazine...maybe that is what the standard version does???

I appreciate your range report. Hope you have better results on the next trip. Like Shadoh, I don't want the bolt to close on inserting a new mag either and a lack information on specific differences between the

Standard vs. Deluxe model only adds to my confusion. Maybe I need to re-read Tom's thread in his subforum again...I still can't help but feel disheartened about your first trip tho....

Hopefully Tom will chime in as aside from his thread, calling and email I don't know were you would get more information nor do I fully understand the difference between the standard and deluxe versions. I know the deluxe has a little button that looks like the safety on my 870 that acts as a bolt release.

I found out the other day that the spring in my only AGP magazine had shattered. ...I need to get on the phone to try to remedy that.

I am not disheartened at all. The bolt never failed to lock open on an empty magazine...just needs a little tweaking.

Hopefully Tom will chime in as aside from his thread, calling and email I don't know were you would get more information nor do I fully understand the difference between the standard and deluxe versions. I know the deluxe has a little button that looks like the safety on my 870 that acts as a bolt release.

I found out the other day that the spring in my only AGP magazine had shattered. ...I need to get on the phone to try to remedy that.

I am not disheartened at all. The bolt never failed to lock open on an empty magazine...just needs a little tweaking.

I need the little icon of an hour glass that says..........."Working".........pics coming..

The volume of emails has gotten away from me at times....Sory.

Anyway, the Auto bolt release can be adjusted by dressing the contact area of the hold open to carrier face. A little more angle and you will disengage by hand.

Standard models do not have the release button.

I will try to answer all questions with the instruction manual.

post-2142-011550000 1286296244_thumb.jpg

post-2142-080641700 1286296293_thumb.jpg

I need the little icon of an hour glass that says..........."Working".........pics coming..

The volume of emails has gotten away from me at times....Sory.

Anyway, the Auto bolt release can be adjusted by dressing the contact area of the hold open to carrier face. A little more angle and you will disengage by hand.

Standard models do not have the release button.

I will try to answer all questions with the instruction manual.

Are these going to be available as kits or only as a mod by you?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...