Your Saiga Rifle *** From Start to Finish ***

I decided to convert a Saiga 7.62x39 and this time go for an AK-103-style configuration without the folding stock. I figured I would share the pictures I took along the way with everyone here.

I won't go too much in detail as to the process, I will just touch along the steps as there are a couple of great videos out there showing the process in depth already.

I should note to those new to conversion that this conversion is "all out" and a basic conversion is a lot less involved. There are great videos out there detailing that as stated above. Link to the conversion video is here. Also, I have tutorials onhow to remove and install a front sight block and a diagram of how I pin the muzzle brake on.

I also want to note that some of the steps here, such as pinning the muzzle brake on and grinding off the bayonet and accessory lugs, are irrelevant to most of you, however they may serve as a nice pictorial to those in states with such laws so I decided to include them anyway.

Keep in mind that nothing herein is intended as legal advice, and is for information purposes only.

OK, enough of that, conversion time! I started with an '09 Saiga 7.62x39 sporter that I purchased from CSS. This particular one arrived and I was very pleased to find that it had dimples as well as a mil-spec barrel. Perfect aesthetics for the project at hand!

f3RWS.jpg

The front of the Saiga sporter is not configured for AK-style handguards, front sights, and gas blocks, so the first thing to do was cut off the front sight tower and gas block and then replace them with a Bulgarian gas block, front sight, and handguard retainer.

BRlgC.jpg

gblVM.jpg

Next up, I unfortunately had to grind off the bayonet/accessory lugs on the front sight and gas blocks to comply with local laws. I also had to pin the muzzle brake on, and did so in two places. The photos below show the various stages of grinding and pinning. Also shown is the notch ground into the barrel for the handguard retainer.

cqaDH.jpg

UZ3uT.jpg

bHDNP.jpg

amWAU.jpg

VVoFy.jpg

qPcNp.jpg

5Sr5B.jpg

qxezq.jpg

cuxBO.jpg

I drilled the grooves into the barrel and pinned the blocks onto the barrel. It took a little effort and patience to make sure they were as straight as possible and not canted. Once the front was done and ready for AK-style furniture, it was time to convert the rear of the gun.

I started by drilling and tapping a hole for the bullet guide, and then pounded out the two roll pins holding the trigger group in to gut the inside of the receiver.

gdGFr.jpg

9EoMO.jpg

qp3eK.jpg

Then I ground down the rivet heads, and pounded out the three rivets on the bottom to remove the sporter plate.

MYtU8.jpg

A little touch up paint, and a trigger guard, and the receiver is almost done.

BVgfl.jpg

One thing I did a little different this time was how I plugged the original roll pin holes. I was going to use nylon hole plugs but since they are incompatible with properly-shaped stocks, I figured I would try something different. JB weld will not stick to certain types of plastic, one of them being saran wrap. So I broke off a chunk of a paint mixer, wrapped in saran wrap, and used it as a backing to fill the shallow hole with JB weld, and then blend the inside with a file and then paint it. It came out decently, looks almost like dimples from a spot weld. Should it ever break or something (highly unlikely given it's a no-stress part) or I become dissatisfied I will just pop some hole plugs in.

lr68d.jpg

FB49W.jpg

After that, I toss in an Arsenal FCG and furniture, clean and lubricate the rifle, and it's good to go!

alr7c.jpg

sbBTs.jpg

qPluq.jpg

RL0um.jpg

o3yCZ.jpg

Parts List:

- Saiga 7.62x39 Rifle

- Bulgarian Gas Block

- Bulgarian Handguard Retainer

- Bulgarian AK-74 Muzzle Brake

- AKpartskits front sight block

- Bulgarian Cleaning Rod

- Bulgarian AK-74 Gas Tube

- Arsenal Inc. single hook trigger group

- Bulgarian Pistol Grip Nut

- Arsenal Inc. Plum Furniture Set

- Arsenal Inc. 10-round magazine

- CSS Trigger Guard

- CSS Bullet Guide

- TAPCO retaining plate

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 9

GREAT WORK!!!

One question: How much gap do you have between the buttstock and the receiver? I think a bit more fitting might be needed.

Other than that it looks fantastic! :super::super::super:

Thanks a lot. You know what, now that I look at it there is a tiny gap, about the width of a couple sheets of paper. I'll re-fit it next time I'm bored.

• Like 3

GREAT WORK!!!

One question: How much gap do you have between the buttstock and the receiver? I think a bit more fitting might be needed.

Other than that it looks fantastic! :super::super::super:

Thanks a lot. You know what, now that I look at it there is a tiny gap, about the width of a couple sheets of paper. I'll re-fit it next time I'm bored.

Its not a big deal, its great work. i really cant believe this beauty is going to end up in New Jersey! Its like sticking it to them! :super:

Classy.. is the FSB from/for a AK74 or a AK47 and did you BORE out the the AK74 Brake to 'FIT' around the 7.62 size round??

Did you have to do anything special to get the FSB (with .573" ID) onto the 762x39 barrel??

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Classy.. is the FSB from/for a AK74 or a AK47 and did you BORE out the the AK74 Brake to 'FIT' around the 7.62 size round??

Did you have to do anything special to get the FSB (with .573" ID) onto the 762x39 barrel??

Al

The sight block is from/for an AK74, I bored the brake out a little with a green stone on a dremel just to be on the safe side.

Nope, just hand to pound it on with a rubber mallet and index it. I recommend not drilling and pinning the FSB until the rifle is sighted in.

• Like 1

FOLLOW UP :haha::killer:

My bad!

Took it to the range today along with one of my other ones. Everything went great, shoots good too.

I was expecting a bit of a hassle to sight it in like the last few. My last needed lots of "work" with the mallet to get the tower aligned. I was very surprised when I shot this one and it was centered horizontally, and about 6" high. Couple turns, test shots, turns, and test shots, only took 12 rounds total and it was zeroed at 25 yards. Not sure if it was dumb luck or what, but that was the easiest rifle I ever sighted in.

• Like 3

FOLLOW UP :haha::killer:

My bad!

Took it to the range today along with one of my other ones. Everything went great, shoots good too.

I was expecting a bit of a hassle to sight it in like the last few. My last needed lots of "work" with the mallet to get the tower aligned. I was very surprised when I shot this one and it was centered horizontally, and about 6" high. Couple turns, test shots, turns, and test shots, only took 12 rounds total and it was zeroed at 25 yards. Not sure if it was dumb luck or what, but that was the easiest rifle I ever sighted in.

I still keep meaning to swap out my FSB, not gonna bother with the gas block at this time, but I'm so damn lazy. Wanna visit and do mine for me? :lolol: Awesome work though, bro, I love it.

• Like 1

Thats it, I'm definitely swapping out my gas block and FSB now. I just can't enjoy my Saiga with the cut and screw/nut Romanian lower handguard retainer fix. I've already got a Bulgarian handguard retainer that I bought from K Var and found a source for Bulgarian AK74 gas blocks and front sight blocks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I went with Bulgarian gas block because it has the same port angle as the Saiga gas block, as well as being the most common and inexpensive. Other country of origin blocks may work too, provided they have the right angle port. Alternatively, you can install 2-piece handguards using a bolt on retainer without having to remove the gas block. For this project I planned on changing the front sight block anyway, so I chopped off the original gas block too while I was at it.

I went with Bulgarian gas block because it has the same port angle as the Saiga gas block, as well as being the most common and inexpensive. Other country of origin blocks may work too, provided they have the right angle port. Alternatively, you can install 2-piece handguards using a bolt on retainer without having to remove the gas block. For this project I planned on changing the front sight block anyway, so I chopped off the original gas block too while I was at it.

for the ak front sightblock that you used, what comes with it, what did you have to do to get it ready to put on the rifle, any specific tools required? would you have rather used a bulgarian FSB?

for the ak front sightblock that you used, what comes with it, what did you have to do to get it ready to put on the rifle, any specific tools required? would you have rather used a bulgarian FSB?

I used a stripped one because I need to pin the brake in place anyway, so the detent pin is of little use to me.

For someone using it in different states, then you'd need a small pin of some sort, a small spring from a pen, and a roll pin, to create a detent pin or just buy a Bulgarian one where the detent pin assembly is already made. Using a stripped one saves you ~$30 and then you go spend a few bucks on pins and a pen spring and are good to go.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Al

The sight block is from/for an AK74, I bored the brake out a little with a green stone on a dremel just to be on the safe side.

Nope, just hand to pound it on with a rubber mallet and index it. I recommend not drilling and pinning the FSB until the rifle is sighted in.

not sure if this would help you but if you want to get the fsb close on the first try you should disassemble the rifle as if you were cleaning it and then use a level on the reciever until it is spot on. then put the fsb on the barrel using the level as a reference.if the rifle and fsb are both level you should be about perfect. i have not done this but the thought just occured to me. what are your thoughts? i think the same level trick can be used on scopes to make sure the crosshairs are lined up correctly too.any thoughts on that one too?

post-30722-0-79053400-1298216228_thumb.jpg

post-30722-0-19962900-1298216237_thumb.jpg