twist ratio question for Saiga 7.62

I have the longer barrel for the Saiga 7.62 and want to cut it to the legal limit. Does anyone know if the twist ratio is the same for the 2 sizes of barrels you can get a Saiga 7.62 in? To my understanding the bullet has to have 2 rotations before leaving the barrel or it will be inacurate.

Two things: First, both 20 inch and 16 inch 7.62x39 Saiga have the same twist. It is a twist close to 1/9, if I remember right. Second, two rotations is not required. Some large calibers have crazy slow twists. Once it has made one rotation, additional would be redundant. A football does not stay in your hand for two rotations, and neither does a 40mm M-203 round...

Accuracy from longer barrels is a function of longer sight radius. A 1/8" deviation of a front sight on a 16" barrel will displace the bullet more than a 1/8" deviation oon a 20". Simple geometry and physics.

Edited by imarangemaster

Awsome thanks!

hm so if I move the FSB it might not be as accurate due to it being a shorter distance between the sights. Right now I can hit a chest size target at 200 yards, if I can keep that with my 7.62 i'll be more than happy.

Any Idea where I can rent the tools to cut it?

Usually done by a gunsmith with a barrel lathe, though I know folks who used a new hack saw, trued it with a flat file, and used a dremel for the crown. NOT recommended!!!!! There are some good smiths on this board who can help you with that!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mike!

Got your message.

I'm not online much as of late.

The gas system is rather forgiving. Normally allows shortening the barrel on the 7.62x39mm about two inches without changing the port size. Going shorter is when you usually start to see the need to enlarge the port size. I'm a little rusty, so I don't remember what the port is on factory 16" barrels.

As far as actually cutting/recrowning the barrel goes, I'd use a carbonfiber cuttoff wheel on a hand held grinder or a chop saw. Then I'd use a file to return the muzzle to being close to 90degree. Then I would either rent the 90degree cutting tool or buy one from Brownell's and finish squaring up the barrel face. Then I'd use the crown tool.