Moly over Park or Cerekote??????

Hey guys,

I have a converted Saiga 12 that is currently Duracoated in Tactical Grey. I really want something more durable. I have ready access to a gunsmith that can Park and Moly Resin however I am really curious about the whole Cerekote Deal. The only put off is the wait time that a lot of custom shops seem to have.

Any one have any preferences

Jason

I had a 7.62x39 Saiga Cerakoted. It's a very durable finish, I did my own "torture testing" on sample sheets I requested with brake cleaner and a knife, the Cerakote actually survived that. Definitely a good finish, Customized Creationz in Michigan did mine for ~$225 after all the shipping etc. charges. A little pricey and to be honest if I didn't need a finish (the gun had none) I would have just stuck with the factory finish. Moly Resin over Parkerizing is likely a superior finish to Cerakote.

Either way, you really can't go wrong with some sort of professional grade finish. Go with whatever is easiest to do local/least waiting time in shipping etc.

A friend of mine that owns Arizona Response Systems does a proprietary moly finish called "Metacol". He goes by the screen name of "Gunplumber", and was Gunsmith of the year in 2006 I believe. He is well known and highly respected for his work. He used to build FALs, but due to the lack of parts kits, has turned to AKs. Google him under Arizona Response Systems for more info. Only problem is his popularity leaves him with a fairly long backlog, but try him anyway.

HTH.

Teflon/Moly over park is a very durable finish. As long as all the prep work is done completely and correctly you will have a pretty indestructible finish. Make sure to degrease very, very, very, well after park before applying any finish. That being said, you can ceracoat over park too, which will be just as tough if not tougher than the teflon/moly over park. The choice is yours, and both are good choices, I've used teflon/moly over park for years and I have not been disappointed. Just started using Cerakote and I am happy with that as well. I will say, that so far, the teflon/moly goes on smoother than the Cerakote I've used.

One thing I will point out, any finish, no matter how durable they claim will wear with regular use. Some may take longer to wear than others, but all will wear eventually.

Edited by NightArmory