Length question in regards to SBS/SBR

I have a question regarding both the overall and barrel lengths of Short Barreled NFA weapons. I have an AR SBR registered as a 10.5 in barrel. In theory must I only use a 10.5 barrel while its in SBR status or can a shorter one be used on it when I wish? Does changing the overall length by adding a different stock or removing it thus changing the Overall length matter as well? Im sure the same rules would apply to SBS and AOW as well

Thanks guys. I guess my safest bet is to put the shortest possible length!

Only if that's the only barrel length you're ever gonna use.

It doesn't cost you anything to list all available lengths and allows you to change the uppers out as you wish.

I keep hearing from other people claiming that they wont take Form 1's with variable barrel lengths and calibers written anymore. Am I understanding right that I may say hypothetically register it with a 7.5 barrel and as long as the length of the barrel is at least 7.5 inches I am ok, however if the length falls short of that its a big no no?

I keep hearing from other people claiming that they wont take Form 1's with variable barrel lengths and calibers written anymore. Am I understanding right that I may say hypothetically register it with a 7.5 barrel and as long as the length of the barrel is at least 7.5 inches I am ok, however if the length falls short of that its a big no no?

I think you misunderstood what you were told.

You can't fill out the form with "variable" or "any available length" in the field. You have to list each sub-16" barrel length you plan on using (whether or not you own such a barrel at this time is irrelevant). Calibers are the same way - you can't put "any caliber" in the fields, but must list each one you plan on using.

So, again, you fill out the forms with all standard barrel lengths (under 16") and any caliber you think you might be running out of a sub-16" barrel on your SBR and list them.

Edited by nalioth

You can't fill out the form with "variable" or "any available length" in the field. You have to list each sub-16" barrel length you plan on using (whether or not you own such a barrel at this time is irrelevant). Calibers are the same way - you can't put "any caliber" in the fields, but must list each one you plan on using.

So, again, you fill out the forms with all standard barrel lengths (under 16") and any caliber you think you might be running out of a sub-16" barrel on your SBR and list them.

When was the last time you sent a form 1 for approval? They are no longer accepting form 1's with multiple listings under caliber, barrel length, and Over all lengths listed.

You will need to choose one configuration. Keep the parts for that configuration so it can be converted back to that registered configuration.

You have NO obligation to use that gun in ONLY that configuration, but you must be able to convert it to that registered configuration. You can use any caliber, barrel length you would wish, but only one configuration remains on the registry.

If you plan on "permanently" changing the configuration, you would send a letter to the ATF to update the NFA registry. You would not need a new form 1.

As for using shorter barrels on a build that is registered with a longer barrel, I don't know of any reason you can't. You CAN NOT get a form 1 for a suppressor and then go ahead and make it LONGER than the form 1 specifies, but you can make it shorter. The idea being a longer can is more "quiet" than a shorter one.

This is based on information I received from the ATF upon filing my recent form 1's in June of this year. I have a call into my examiner for another technical issue, and I'd be happy to ask them about this issue as well when I get the call back. Stand by.

Edited by rjrivero

When was the last time you sent a form 1 for approval? They are no longer accepting form 1's with multiple listings under caliber, barrel length, and Over all lengths listed.

You will need to choose one configuration. Keep the parts for that configuration so it can be converted back to that registered configuration.

You have NO obligation to use that gun in ONLY that configuration, but you must be able to convert it to that registered configuration. You can use any caliber, barrel length you would wish, but only one configuration remains on the registry.

If you plan on "permanently" changing the configuration, you would send a letter to the ATF to update the NFA registry. You would not need a new form 1.

As for using shorter barrels on a build that is registered with a longer barrel, I don't know of any reason you can't. You CAN NOT get a form 1 for a suppressor and then go ahead and make it LONGER than the form 1 specifies, but you can make it shorter. The idea being a longer can is more "quiet" than a shorter one.

This is based on information I received from the ATF upon filing my recent form 1's in June of this year. I have a call into my examiner for another technical issue, and I'd be happy to ask them about this issue as well when I get the call back. Stand by.

This info doesn't surprise me.

This is more of Zero's work. Haven't you all noticed that decades-old "rulings" from the revenuers have all been reversed since the ascension of the Zero?

They are making it harder (within the scope of their purview) on gun owners every where.

• 3 weeks later...

~assuming your talking about an AR15 type weapon~

The original length, and or caliber, listed on the Form 1 will work as long as you do not make it a permanant change. Meaning you do not sell the longer of the two uppers leaving you with ONLY the shorter of the two. For example: Your Form 1 states 10.5" barrel length/5.56 caliber. You also happen to have a 5" barrel, 9mm upper. You may temporarly switch between the two uppers just as long as you can convert the weapon back to the length and caliber that is on your Form 1 as required.

It is my understanding that barrel length and OAL can be lengthened but not shortened without prior notification to the BATFE.

This rumor floats around the net every once in a while, I've asked many times for someone to provide some type of proof that ATF has taken a stance on this issue, zero responces with legit info is what I've gotten.

If you shorten a SBR more then what is listed on the F1 or F4 does it some how become more of a SBR? Nope, its still a short barreled rifle to start with, does ATF care how long the barrel is? Nope, that why they dont require you to notify them if you make a perminet change, they how ever Request that you tell them so the registery will be current.

If someone can prove in writing that ATF says you cant go shorter I would love to see just because of all the threads and fighting over this topic Ive seen over the last few years on gun forums.

Edited by MrM4