Tapco Trigger bump fire

So while doing some 300 yard shooting yesterday i found an interesting thing out about my tapco trigger. A very slow delicate squeeze produces bump firing. Surprised me and first, then i messed around with it some and was getting nice 5 round burst. I am getting use to doing firmer squeezes but I do so love have a super easy bump fire that I can operate from the shoulder.

• Like 1

did you do any polish work on the trigger or did happen with stock well used trigger? I had that happen to and old tapco g2 that i had done some light polish work to it then after sever thousand rounds it became an issue.

nope no polishing or anything. Its easy to keep from happening I just have to do full squeezes instead of just delicately pulling it back.

Hmmmm!!!! I haven't had anything like that happen yet with my new tapco g2. Is yours brand spanking new or from and old stock. they did have a recall a few years back something about the sear spring hole not deep enough?????

can't quit remember.

well keep us informed you don't want it to become too frequent as unexpected bump fire can be dangerous.

Fucking eh it can be dangerous, like 10 years in Federal, pound you in the ass, prison.

BATFE, they'll lie, construct evidence and do whatever else they have to, to nail ya for constructing a illegal MG.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

The recall on tapco triggers was for an over drilled Disconnector. It allows the disconnector to remain too low to retain the hammer and in theory it could auto.. However I've shot an ak without a disconnector before and it never fired more then one round. (I was not attempting to go auto.. I just forgot the disconnector spring)

I think the stock Saiga hammer is more likely, in some cases the rifle will fire both on the pull and the release of the trigger. And it would have a sweet spot that would bump really easy. From a mechanical view its not auto, but I suppose the ATF could try to say you where attempting to build an auto (which is just as bad).

It could just be that the OP has just the right stance to bumpfire the rifle. I had a friend who on their first time of shooting a centerfire rifle had a 10 round bumpfire.

I've had numerous problems with doublets and triplets on my Saiga 5.45 and SGL, both of which sport Tapco triggers. I thought the problem was with the way I was cleaning the bolt after firing the corrosive ammo, that maybe that was causing the firing pin to stick. After getting two bursts Saturday at the range, I think I will order an Arsenal trigger and see if that solves the problem. If not, I guess I will have to reevaluate my cleaning routine yet again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been able to bumpfire worth a shit. I can mash the trigger fast, but I must not have the bumpfiring gene. LOL

Besides....for me, rapid fire is just a fun way to turn money into noise.

Your technique appears pretty good though.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Interesting. My TAPCO did the same thing once. I was doing the same thing. Shooting from sand bags at a 200 yard target using a very slow trigger pull and I got a double bang. It happened so quick I wasnt really sure it happened? I asked my buddy and he thought the same thing. He wasnt really sure but he thought thats what he heard. I havent tried it again to see if it would do it. Ive put probally 500 rounds through this trigger and it has not done it again. Next time I'm shooting I will use a very slow pull and see if it fire 2.

• 2 weeks later...

With some guns, a Tapco G2 FCG will have a tendency to produce doubles if you slowly pull the trigger and then hold it in about the same position it was in when the hammer was just released (apparently this can also be done quickly for bump firing). If you follow through with the trigger pull, and trap the trigger at the rearmost point of its movement before allowing a deliberate reset, you should not get doubles. Here is a link that provides some explanation of what sometimes happens, as well as how to prevent it.

• Like 1

I had a friend that shot my x39 for the first time and ended up getting a couple of 3 or 4 rnd bumpfires through the course of emptying one 30rnd mag pretty quickly. I think he just barely pulled back on the trigger though.. since he was used to his Rem 30-06 that barely had any travel in it.. which we were also shooting that day. I'm pretty sure he didn't have my rifle tucked very tight, and between him hitting the sweet spot on the trigger he managed to do a couple of shoulder bumps unintentionally.

I've never been able to do a bumpfire with any rifle myself. I got my S-12 to do a half-assed one from the hip before, but that's about it. I could never seem to re-create what my friend did either. I went through about 60 rounds trying to figure that out the same day, and got nothing. But I usually take a pretty firm hold of any gun I shoot.. and with the x39 or a .223, that pretty much dissipates the recoil you need for a bumpfire.

I usually take a pretty firm hold of any gun I shoot.. and with the x39 or a .223, that pretty much dissipates the recoil you need for a bumpfire.

That's how you SHOULD fire a rifle. Bumpfiring often robs the action of the recoil needed to cycle it, requiring you to pull the charging handle back and load the next round. This can be seen in several bumpfiring vids on you tube.

Here it jams when trying to bumpfire, but doesn't from shoulder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJzeJxegNs

My Romanian Wasr 10/63 G x39 will bump fire very easily from the hip. I can get 2-3 round burst every time with occasional 10 round burst.

Problem is that sometime it fails to load the next round for what ever reason forcing me to recock the gun.

IMO its fun to do every now and then to impress your friends but in no way is it practical. Even a full AUTO AK seems impractical even in close quarter combat as it would be to inaccurate and waste to much ammo.

Which is why I got a Saiga 12 which spits out anywhere from 3-15 pellets of 00 buck every press of the trigger. That IMO is > than any machine gun in close quarters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My 223 (with single hook G2) did this once yesterday and I'm not at all happy about it. I was holding it firmly (I thought) but trying a slow trigger squeeze. Double bang in a heartbeat. Fortunately I was at a private range so didn't have to worry about being arrested. Still, I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen again because I don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention.

I've never tried to bump fire but am thinking this is a trigger group glitch rather than the real thing. I'll check out the link hogdog provided and see if I can remedy it.

• 3 months later...

Did you keep the Saiga hammer? Please don't answer yes if you did.

Sometimes the stock saiga hammers will fit between the trigger and disconnector and can do something like that.

Haha, I noticed that as I was playing around with my new converted gun. When I put the stock trigger in, the bolt wouldn't lock the hammer back, but would still manage to travel smoothly, created a potentially full auto trigger group. I'll have to keep the stock hammer ;p

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one on my .308 when I was shooting off the bench a few months ago. I think it was because I didn't have a good grasp on the pistol grip. I did get a triple pinch of the skin near my shoulder between the toe of buttstock and the top of the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I kinda thought I was some sorta Bumpfire master. I also have a G2 FCG and it's crazy easy to bumpfire from the shoulder. You're not gonna pick the rifle up and start slinging burst downrange if you absolutely don't want to but doing so is not much effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGC--NoDDz4

I gotta say man, you've got some stones doing that at a range. They must know you well there. If I had an AK doing that, I would at least put it away, if not get the hell out of there before someone called the law.

edit: I guess looking at it a second time, it doesn't look too much faster than you could work the trigger manually, but we know the truth about your rifle here!

Edited by mancat