I hope it shoots as well as it looks!

Its coming together nicely .......

but that eye relief looks like it could spell "black eye" and/or "concussion" :unsure:

Have you done any shouldering / dry firing yet?

I may just be seeing things the wrong way but it seems you might need a different mounting set-up that places the scope farther forward - or just slide it up in the rings you have?

Does it clear your rear sight blade/trunnion enough for removal/cleaning purposes?

Best of luck

Harv

Edited by HarvKY

unless eye relief is like 2" on the scope you will experiance the 'ring of death' that moves around the edges..

most scopes on the Saiga's I have mounted need the eye piece just about on the 'rear' end of the dustcover.

Most scopes are 3-3.8" ER

Nice scope though..

Hope that helps.

Al

Looks like the Crossfire 6.5-20? It depends on your intended purpose. If you're going to be shooting paper/targets prone or off the bench go ahead and get all the magnification you want. If you think you'll be hunting or shooting moving targets then yeah, that would be way too much magnification. Think maybe removing the rear sight would give you some more clearance?

Looks good, for those of you who do not know, that is a collapsible stock which can and will have to be extended to use the scope.....

Diego you said that you have a DPH tri-rail on it, is that a new model they came out with? It does not look like the aluminum version......

Let us know how she shoots.....

Added:

I can not really tell but is that scope hitting the front sight? If so you are going to have issues with it.........

Edited by 308saiga

Looks good, for those of you who do not know, that is a collapsible stock which can and will have to be extended to use the scope.....

Diego you said that you have a DPH tri-rail on it, is that a new model they came out with? It does not look like the aluminum version......

Let us know how she shoots.....

Added:

I can not really tell but is that scope hitting the front sight? If so you are going to have issues with it.........

Yes the tri rail is aluminum. No not even near the front but just missing the top of the rear by a c-hair. I was thinking of takiing my dremil to the top of the rear mount to give a little clearance. 99.999 percent of shooting will be target off a bench.

Diego

Yes the tri rail is aluminum. No not even near the front but just missing the top of the rear by a c-hair. I was thinking of takiing my dremil to the top of the rear mount to give a little clearance. 99.999 percent of shooting will be target off a bench.

Diego

I for one would not do that, if it has the clearance leave it alone.......

We will see, I can always get taller rings, but I like the way the scope sits now. As for taking a dremil to the mount, I would only be taking off a smidgin, I don't see where that would hurt anything? I am going to go try and sight in the scope after work, I will report back and let everyong know how that turns out. Wish me luck.

Diego

Your not crazy :grimace: Not at all.

Not a damned thing wrong with that scope, its not too high mag for bench target shooting, FoV will be fine for your usage.

That scope is damned fine for the money, you would have to spend triple that to come even close to its overall quality.

And you'll be very hard pressed to match Vortex's extraordinary Customer Service and Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee.

Vortex gives the very best 'Bang for your Buck', in budget glass.

I would definitely change a few things if it were mine, I see a combination of gear choices that may result in poor ergonomics which could hamper comfortable/accurate shooting.

1) Better rings. Wider (stability and less recoil whiplash) and higher (1.5" +/- .25"), that lil red cunt hair of clearance is NOT enough (my $0.02).

Either remove the rear leaf, dremel it or... Buy better/higher rings <<<THIS!

2) Different mount, as low as possible... Your NOT going to get a cheek weld with it that high. Suggest a over receiver rail, e.g. DPH Beryl or TWS Dog Leg.

3) Different buttstock, higher comb, and very likely'll still need a cheek riser to attain a half decent cheek weld.

I can not imagine a worse buttstock for bench shooting that rifle with a scope.

4) Move that scope forward, it looks like that unless you've monkey arms, your going to be so far back for proper eye relief that your LoP will be ridiculous.

Here is my Saiga.308-ver.21, it now sits about .5" further forward for proper eye relief.

Vortex Viper 2-7x32 in Burris 1" Xtreme Tactical High rings on a TWS Dog Leg rail

As for my wanting more magnification in my scope, the 2-7 is adequate for center of mass at 200-600.

I'd like to upgrade to minimal 4-12 or 6-20, purely to use the higher magnification for spotting purposes.

vortex1-1.jpg

The scope looks fine have to agree get better rings a bit higher at some later date I know money can be tight and anything for firearms is priced like it was made for a wedding. Like the dogleg mounts for this rifle really helps bring everything close to the bore. Have fun got one just like it and its fine for hunting or range its no better or worse than your skill.

Any 308 can handle a scope and only a know nothing runs this rifle down, heck even Boston's Gun Bible gave it a favorable review and hes about as M1A/FAL centric as they get.

Edit:

I found the telescoping stocks less than desirable with a high recoil round like the 308. I moved mine to my x39 and it works fine there and went to the Kvar NATO stock with recoil pad for the 308. With a dogleg rail I only have to use a half inch cheek pad. No complaints now.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Thx guys for all the input. I got these rings from a friend on loan. I had ordered a set of good rings that will be in next week. I decided on holding off going to the range until I get the new rings in and on the scope. I just got a little happy and wanted to go shoot, but there is no good reason to do this twice, so I will wait until the quality rings arrive.

diego

Well I made it to the range today and I am in love all over again. I borrowed a laser bore sight and it took me about 6 rounds to get dialed in at the 25 yard range. I moved over to the 50 yard range and spent another 6 getting on target. I moved over to the 100 yard range and dialed in, it took about 10 rounds to where I was feeling pretty good. This is the last 15 or so rounds. I need lots more practice but I can see potential. I was shooting Tula.

red.jpg

Diego

Edited by Diego-ted