What are the chances that this thing will be good.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-392/Tapco-AK47-Intrafuse-HANDGUARD/Detail

It's a hand guard with a rail above and below, and I want to put a red dot on the top of it. I know it only mentions the rail below but you can see the one on top. What are the chances that this thing will work and the scope will hold its zero? It would make this project so much cheaper.

Typical Tapco mediocre quality, not bad, not great, just functional.

I personally would not count on it to hold a zero, because of how it mounts and its construction.

Further, your not likely to get a cowitness, nor a good cheekweld.

Go with a proven top rail system, go with Ultimak.

Retainer? Retainer for what? Are you referring to the lower handguard retainer with the side sling attachment point?

Like this? http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Handguard-Bracket/Detail?sfs=df6cf341

Well, if ya go with a Ultimak, then a lower forearm can be whatever floats your boat, keep the original, a tri-rail, a galil style or whatever.

The hand-guard itself isn't bad. Tapco makes a pretty good product, but it won't be the best for mounting an optic. However, if you want the best mount for the optic you're looking into (get one that can handle high heat changes), Ultimak gives you the closest mounting rail that works with your irons if the optic goes down.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-392/Tapco-AK47-Intrafuse-HANDGUARD/Detail

It's a hand guard with a rail above and below, and I want to put a red dot on the top of it. I know it only mentions the rail below but you can see the one on top. What are the chances that this thing will work and the scope will hold its zero? It would make this project so much cheaper.

one came on my hard chrome draco. the upper is a joke as for mounting optics. but the lower hg seems really tight. but i think it has to do with the solid lower hand guard retainer. i had to drill an indentation for the screw that locks the lhgr i used for my saiga conversion. anyways its a cheap way out for a forearm grip but there probably is cheaper. i'm not in the game much anymore for hand guards.