M1911 with pitted frame

Well, I may have an opportunity to get a family heirloom Ithaca M1911 made in 1943. However, the frame is pitted in certain areas, and the Koreans used the pistol grip as a hammer. When I get the chance, I will try to post photos. But the main thing I'd like to knows is what I should do to clean up the pitting? If that's even an option?

Well, turns out I didn't get the gun after all. I cleaned it and took care of it like it was mine, though it rightfully is, but I won't argue with family and damage a relationship over a firearm, so I just let it go. It was more work than it was worth anyway.

Well, turns out I didn't get the gun after all. I cleaned it and took care of it like it was mine, though it rightfully is, but I won't argue with family and damage a relationship over a firearm, so I just let it go. It was more work than it was worth anyway.

Well I can relate to you on that one. I have been there. Some times family dont act like family.

Some times its best to just let it go. Even if it means who gets it doesnt care and wont take care of it. I dont know the situation but this was one of mine.

Its sad to see such nice things go, but actions speak louder than words and those who know will know.

I came upon a shotgun that was very old and didnt work, because who had it abused it and even left it out in the rain. Well I cleaned it up and burned many of hours working on it and getting it right again. Well the family member who hardly comes around showed back up when he heard it was working and in good shape again to stake his claim. Meh whatever, when it gets pawned off or left in a ditch I wont be the one to blame.

Well I can relate to you on that one. I have been there. Some times family dont act like family.

Some times its best to just let it go. Even if it means who gets it doesnt care and wont take care of it. I dont know the situation but this was one of mine.

Its sad to see such nice things go, but actions speak louder than words and those who know will know.

I came upon a shotgun that was very old and didnt work, because who had it abused it and even left it out in the rain. Well I cleaned it up and burned many of hours working on it and getting it right again. Well the family member who hardly comes around showed back up when he heard it was working and in good shape again to stake his claim. Meh whatever, when it gets pawned off or left in a ditch I wont be the one to blame.

Sorta the same story. The gun was my grandfather's, and he gave it to one of his brother's (my great uncle), who recently let me have it to clean it. I figured because of the connection to my grandfather, and the fact that he never shows it to anyone, he'd let me keep it, and I offered him another firearm in return. The exchange didn't go down, so I gave it back, and moved on. To be honest, I don't want the damn thing anymore, otherwise I'll be tearing up because of the things it's going to endure once more. I basically delayed what is bound to happen. The rust will build back up, and eat away at it until it falls apart.

Just an update, I got it afterall. Will post pics in the next few days.

That's awesome! So why did he change his mind?

Well, he realized that I was the best person to pass it on to. None of his kids (my second cousins) have nearly as much of an interest in firearms as I do. Our family is tight and close-knit, so he knows he can trust me with it and that I'll always keep it in tip-top condition and never sell it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is not that bad dude. Unless you are really going to hack it up and try to make a custom gun of it, leave it alone! Trying to "restore" it will decrease the value. Value aside, that's an heirloom to leave as is. If that pistol could talk!

That is not that bad dude. Unless you are really going to hack it up and try to make a custom gun of it, leave it alone! Trying to "restore" it will decrease the value. Value aside, that's an heirloom to leave as is. If that pistol could talk!

Only the mag that came with it will actually fit. I got the correct slide for it over the weekend, but it'd least like to repair the magwell.

OH yea. Nice.. I would leave that alone keep a light coat of oil and let it live out it's life in a good home.

The 1911 is a super fun gun to shoot. It's funny 1943 to 2010 the look is still there.

It's going to the grave with me.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, what does the slide say on the right side?? It looks like a part together gun....anyways...don't refinish it, it'll hurt the value, I have a matching ithica from 1943, I use breakfree on it and rubbed out a few surface rust spots...anything deep will need extra special attention.

hey, what does the slide say on the right side?? It looks like a part together gun....anyways...don't refinish it, it'll hurt the value, I have a matching ithica from 1943, I use breakfree on it and rubbed out a few surface rust spots...anything deep will need extra special attention.

Not too concerned with value, it could be worth nothing, but it'll still mean the world to me. It's never getting sold.