Optics. Advice?

Im trying to find some good optics for my.308. Im aiming for the sniper look and performance. I dont want to break the bank, but i dont want to sacrifice for price to the point where performance suffers. so i guess im looking for just above middle of the road. i prefer something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vism-Vantage-Full-Size-Sniper-Reticle/dp/B003SZVHCY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1287079622&sr=1-11 anyone have experience with one of these or an opinion of it? is this too cheap?

The scope you listed is junk. It is not if, but when will it break. I would honestly be surprised if it kept zero with much use, especially on a .308. Avoid it if at all possible and definitely don't spend your money on it.

As far as inexpensive quality optics, you are going to be looking in the $150-200 new range. This is about as cheap as you can spend and have a quality product. A great budget optic is the Bushnell 10x 3200 w/ mil-dot reticle. It has a great reputation and actually comes stock with some of the Barret .50cal rifles, soyou know it is durable. I have seen it these for sale on Amazon for close to $150-175. One of the things that allow it to perform well at a low cost is the fixed magnification. On variable optics, there are more parts involved, which increase the price. The only thing this scope doesn't have is an illuminated reticle, which really isn't needed for range use.

You may also take a look at the Vortex Viper line (on close out at SWFA.com) or even the Weaver Classic line. I have a Weaver 1-3x and 2.5-7x Classic that are excellent optics for the money. They perform well (for their price range) in low light and have held up well. I have higher end optics to compare them to, so I am not blindly saying they are good. If you are willing to step up to the $300-350 range, Burris just came out with a 1-4x Fulfield TAC30 (Midwayusa.com has the exclusive on them ). I already have a Burris XTR 1-4x that I am pleased with and am considering getting the TAC30 version for an AR build.

It is hard to spend more money on optics than on the guns they go on. But, once you have played with nicer stuff, it is hard to go back. I have an IOR 2.5-10x Tactical on my bolt gun, a Trijicon Accupoint on my MSAR STG and a Burris 1-4x XTR on my AR. These really allow you to shoot much further and much more accurately than with no optics, so I consider them money well spent. I can keep all my rounds on a 6" pie plate at 100 yards at will with zero effort. Yes, I can do the same with irons, but it takes much more effort to do so. Not to mention, out at 300-400 yards, it really starts making a huge difference.

I run a Bushnell 3-9x40 with a BDC cam on my Saiga 308... 71-3946 (I think is the part #).. It runs $80 - 120 depending on retailer and has a 308 (cam) which will adjust the BDC for 100 - 450 yards in 50 yard increments..

There is a write up in this 308 section... a few months back....

The Vortex 2-7x32 which ChileR runs is also I hear a good deal.. though he wishes he had more magnification now he says..

My NCStars are fixed power 4x32 and 6x32.. and yes they hold Zero for me on the 545x39 and 762x39 Saigas..

A fixed 10x scope is not good for less than 200 yards as every breath will make the picture wiggle.

TxMark runs/ran a NCStar w/turrent adjustments on his Saiga 308 with 0 issues but later switched I think for more power.....

There was a sale on Vortex Crossfires for $99 at SWFA (or something tactical)

Good luck..

Albert

I love my Vortex Viper 2-7 but it isn't really what I would call a sniper scope. It has a nice BDC reticle but if you want something more sniper-ish I'd say yellowcarbon's suggestion of the Bushnell 3200 mil-dot is probably the way to go at the price range (<$200). Scopes marketed as sniper scopes usually have target turrets and some sort of ranging reticle like a mil-dot or mil-lines. I think the new DMR type scopes look pretty slick on a Saiga, and 1-4x or 1.75-5x should be fine for most situations. The Millett DMS and the Konus M30 Pro are good examples for under $200

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx

http://swfa.com/Konus-1-4x24-Konuspro-M-30-30mm-Riflescope-P47383.aspx

NC Stars are trash, there is no repeatability with them.

Scopes are one of those things where you have to pay for what you get. That said, your question is valid and there are differences in the cheaper scopes, for the money, I like Millet Scopes.

• Like 1

NC Stars are trash, there is no repeatability with them.

Scopes are one of those things where you have to pay for what you get. That said, your question is valid and there are differences in the cheaper scopes, for the money, I like Millet Scopes.

For the price, I think this is one hell of a scope!

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

DSC00752.jpg

Diego

• 2 weeks later...

That depends on what type of hunting you plan to do and your personal vision preferences.

For short range, a 4x or a 2x7 might be fine, or even a holographic tactical sight. Like many, you might even be better off with iron sights.

For longer ranges, greater magnification might be called for.

Tell the group more about what you want to hunt and where.

As a side-note.. I just upgraded to a 4-12x40 Bushnell Trophy XLT w/DOA 600 Recticle.. VERY CLEAR glass.. has a BDC type reticle with simple raise up and align next increment for next 100 yards added-on. goes from 100-500 yards and has 17" wide crosshairs for DEER ANTLERS..( I figure Zombie torsos are the same width :super: )

Ran me $158 on E... goes for $165-189 retail.. mounted with medium rings.. LOW may work..

post-8775-0-87311300-1288489948_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-05502000-1288490107_thumb.jpg

I was entertaining Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 with BDC for the same $..

I've had a Leapers 1-4x Accushot for about 2 years that has worked great for me. They go for about $100.

However, I've found that 4x is seriously short sighted for me when shooting out beyond 100yds. I'm still looking for 3-9x scope that has AO for a decent price. That Vortex 6-24x50 is way too huge.