Went shooting today

Nothing crazy, only really shot about 30 rounds.

I wanted to get some soft point ammo for whitetail hunting. I grabbed a box of remington 125 grain pointed soft point. It's remingtons "express rifle" series. Anyone got any experience with this stuff on deer?

Also got some American eagle FMJ, that stuff shoots great.

I have rifles and shotguns specifically for hunting but, I'd like to take the WASR out this season and see how it does. I have no doubts about my ability to make a good, clean and humane shot with the stock irons out to 100 yards. The soft point feeds fine too FWIW.

untitled-21.jpg

theres all of them from 100 yards standing and sitting

Edited by t3mac21
  • Like 2

Thanks fellas. In reality, the majority of shots I've taken in the woods have been 100 yards or less, probably even 60 yards or less. It's pretty thick woods where I hunt, mostly out of stands. I've shot this gun at water jugs/old detergent bottles/old (empty) propane tanks out to about 200 yards without much problem, I mean, that's different though since if I miss the first shot I just look at the puff of dirt and adjust. Within 100 yards tho, aiming at a 10 inch or so round circle, I think it should be fine. I'm gonna grab some of that hornady ballistic tip and maybe some other soft points. You guys have any suggestions? Remington corelokt has always been good to me in my other rifles. This stuff isn't corelokt but I figure it's probably decent. I'm sure yugo or wolf HP or anything really would drop a deer with a good shot but, I'd rather have some good expansion and put it down quick.

One of my buddies thinks I'm retarded. It's funny, his favorite deer gun is his .30-30, which isn't too far off the x39.

These shots were taken standing and sitting fwiw. It's no bench gun for sure but, it's usually minute of water bottle at 100 yards if I do my part.

• Like 2