Bushnell DOA vs. Nikon ProStaff BDC model...??

Looking at the Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy 733948B with 600 DOA reticle and the Nikon 6320 ProStaff 3-9x40 with 500/600 BDC reticle.

The Bushnell is $105 - $140 depending on the dealer.

Its marked on the reticle for 100-600 yards in 100 yard increments..

The Nikon is $150... they also have a 4-12x40 model also for $160-190.. depending on the dealer.

Its marked on the reticle for 100-500 yards in 100 yard increments (for non-magnums calibers)

Anyone here run either of these models..????

I'm a fan of Nikon ProStaffs and have the 3-9 BDC you mentioned. I had intended to put it on my 21" .308, but opted for a PSOP instead.

The glass on the ProStaff is nice and clear. The adjustments are solid and positive. I only shot it at 100 yards, and it kept up with the entirely unpredictable gun. The mount I used didn't give me much fore/aft adjustment, and I ended up getting an offset ring to scooch it forward a bit.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I must have been sleeping.

Well I narrowed it down.. sticking with 4-12 power....

Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 71-4124 w/3.3" eye relief.... Standard Multi-X Reticle...& AO..

Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40 73-4120B w/3.5" eye relief... DOA 600 Reticle (aka BDC)

Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 6325 w/3.5" eye relief.... BDC Reticle..

Anyone run the Trophy XLT models?? Or the Nikon Pro Staff's ???

Prices are from $84 up to $160 online.. (which IMHO isn't bad) :smoke:

Good reviews for all it seems..

Anyone have comments?? or have one of these TYPES??

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Just a matter of personal preference, but I've never cared much for any reticle but mil-dot. BDC scopes are great for elevation when pared with a specific cartridge and the target is level, but mastering the mil-dot gives the hunter control over both windage and elevation.

Regarding power, I agree with the range or 4 or 6 to 24. With longer range shooting, it's nice to zoom up to 24x for identification or to check behind the target for problems, but I'll drop back to 10x for the shot.

On the scientific side, I'm still waiting for scope manufacturers to catch up with the digital age. I'd like a scope with a micro-SD slot from which it would read a configuration file of ballistic data. The top display band inside the scope would show the scope power with clicks in inches for elevation and windage. The lower band would feature the size of mils in inches for the selected power, with drop, drift, and lead for selected ranges.. And, I just want it to be affordable. :)

But, that's just me.

Seems like you're sold on BDC and 4x-12x. If that works for you go with it. Of all the scopes you mentioned though, I would think the Nikon would be the highest quality, but higher cost. Currently, the only scopes I own are mil-dot Leapers Accushot and BSA Tactical, so I can't speak for any on your list.

Good luck.

I just purchased a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 from Buy (got a good deal) for my Remmington 700 30-06. I haven't put it on my rifle yet, but I'll be using it to take out a couple of does from a relatives property for management. I'm hunting the first week of November so I'll post pictures and an update.

I will say that it seems to be built very well, comes with lens covers.

TXMark..

I am also looking at the BSA Tactical in 3-16x44 w/mil-dots.. 3.7" ER.. runs about $110 or so...

I like the idea of the BDC though for just point and shoot.. torso shots per se at a 'known' range.

The Nikon is leading and 100-500 yard on the reticle and some decent reviews on the NET.. :super:

The fact that once IT is set at say 200 yards, and I test @ 300 with the BDC reticle... if things 'fall correctly' (pun intended).

I would guesstimate the folks at Nikon may have gotten it RIGHT.. :killer:

Not to UP on the Mil-Dot thing.. I mean how many mil-dots to adjust from 100-400 yards and how many 1/4" clicks up to all make it work..

If I had a simple table with EASY numbers on it then I'd go Mil-Dot scope more than likely.

Like up 14 clicks and use the 3rd Mil-Dot..

I'm NOT good at math. hence the BDC.

Just waiting for a good deal on it at this point.. $163 at some places on the net..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Al;

The secret to mil-dots is an inexpensive little plastic calculator called "Mildot Master", around $30.

When shooting in a terrain where the size of any object is known, it's easy to determine the range in mils, then accurately calculate windage and even shooting up and down inclines.

Check it out.

TXMark..

I appreciate that tip on the Mil-Dot Master card..

I however want EASY, and was just hoping that each mil-dot on the scope was say 75-80 yards worth of 'drop' I'd be happy with a guess-timate for 308 150gr FMJ ammo. Not for precision, but say torso shots on the on-coming zombies :electric_shock:

I can get a rangefinder for $150 (or borrow one) and have the correct range to 'take the shot'..

I read the std Army Mil-Dot is set for 675 ZERO and the mil-dots are set for 100 (at the rop) -1000 yards (at the bottom) or something...

Of course setting ZERO for 675 when I only have 200 yards would be the TRICK :super_man:

Albert

I'm just getting into mil-dots but using a .22 at 100-300 yards since the range only goes so far.

The beauty of mil-dots is that the spacing doesn't vary so they can be used for range finding on known size targets, then you adjust for elevation with the turrets and use the horizontal dots to hold for windage. If you want it to be easier there are a few companies you can send your load data to (type of bullet, speed etc) and they can make some custom turrets so that once you know the range you just spin the turrets to the right mark. You could also do your own turrets the ghetto way with some tape :P

ie: say your zombie is 6' tall (2 yards), you line the zombie up in your crosshairs and notice that he takes up 2.5 mil-dots worth of space.

the formula goes: (zombie height (2 yards) x 1000) / number of mil dots subtended (2.5) = 800 yards

your zombie is 800 yards away. spin your turrets to the mark which says 800 then use your horizontal dots to adjust for wind and let the zombie have it. If these are old school slow zombies you should have enough time to do the math. If they are the new, fast zombies you're better off going to your Saiga 12...

You can use your mil dots for holdover but if you also have to adjust for wind then your aiming point is floating out somewhere with no real reference mark. Also, this only works up to a certain distance since most scopes only have 5 dots below the crosshair. I found some holdovers someone had calculated for 168gr Sierras, maybe they'll get you on paper with 150gr bullets:

100 yards - zero

200 yards - 1/2 mil holdover

300 yards - 1.5 mil holdover

400 yards - 2.5 mil holdover

500 yards - 3.5 mil holdover

600 yards - 5 mil holdover

• Like 1

Thanks nsdhanoa..

Looking at the Nikon and Bushnell.. which both had BDC/DOA reticles... I noticed they are both spaced ABOUT that far for MIL holdovers .

The Bushnell has a RACK / Range Finder (which mimics the mil-dot for figuring size & distance..) its 17" between the HASH marks and a 24" line.. which helps to figure the distance.. the Zombies/Targets I shoot at are 18" wide.. so that may work our better.. IMHO...

See Zombie.. figure the width at say 17" wide torso.. adjust the DOA to the right line and BANG... :killer:

post-8775-039523500 1287571929_thumb.jpg

yuk, yuk, yuk... :lolol:

Both running $139-175 so its a toss up at this point.. IMHO..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Thanks nsdhanoa..

Looking at the Nikon and Bushnell.. which both had BDC/DOA reticles... I noticed they are both spaced ABOUT that far for MIL holdovers .

The Bushnell has a RACK / Range Finder (which mimics the mil-dot for figuring size & distance..) its 17" between the HASH marks and a 24" line.. which helps to figure the distance.. the Zombies/Targets I shoot at are 18" wide.. so that may work our better.. IMHO...

See Zombie.. figure the width at say 17" wide torso.. adjust the DOA to the right line and BANG... :killer:

post-8775-039523500 1287571929_thumb.jpg

yuk, yuk, yuk... :lolol:

Both running $139-175 so its a toss up at this point.. IMHO..

Al

I love my Nikons, a lot of scope for the money!

I managed to wrangle this... tonight at 9pm..

Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy XLT Scope w/600 DOA reticle : Mfg Link

It was $158 NEW on fl-ebay and shipping was $9.xx... since I had $59 in ppal from selling my old Bushnell 3-9 scope..

so that and $109.41 got me this.. :super: Goes for $165+ shipping most places so I saved a whopping $8..

The Nikon jumped to over $134 this morning and still had 4+ days left so i know that would go over my budget..

Retail on both were running pretty-much $163-199..

Will post review when I get it.. comes with Butler Creek Caps included also.. its also got AO parallax adjustment.

Thanks all.. hopefully the Bushnell will be a good choice for some others whom read this..

Al

Well hopefully the MEDIUM rings I just ordered will work... they should as ChileR runs them with his TWS dogleg rail and my UTG 978 side-mount sits higher than that..

this should put me a little lower than the HIGH rings I originally had with the last scope on here..

The Bushnell DOA 4-12x40 w/AO Scope is due in Tuesday and I will do a review on here for you folks..

The scope looks SWEET.. :wub: IMHO..

post-8775-026203500 1287953854_thumb.jpg

Albert

YWHIC I'm new to this board and just caught your thread, I wouldn't own a Bushnell Trophy, everyone I've seen I've disliked. I prefer good glass though. I do however have better experiences with the Nikon Prostaff, and currently have onwe of the new Redfield scopes on a 7mm-08 that I own, and I really like it. But this is what I am running on my Saiga .223 and think you would be VERRY impressed with it, especially for the price .

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx I have no affiliation with SWFA other than buying a few of their scopes, and believe me, this is a DAMN good scope for that price. They also have a 4-12 model on clearence but it costs in the $250 range.

Edited by bigdave

bigdave.. I appreciate the Vortex options.. I was thinking Crossfire for $99 special.. also in the mix..

However, I opted to 'keep what I know' per se.. and stick with Bushnell..

I won the Bushnell last week and its replacing a Bushnell 3-9x40 I had with 'cams'.. I needed more power IMHO..

If this Bushnell isn't any good I will be selling it and trying again.. and probably go with the Nikon..

Since winter is fast coming here in PA/NJ area I don't see me trying this out too much this year..

I do like the 3.4/3.5" eye relief (on the one coming in) vs. the 4" I had on the last scope..

Albert