Ace Stock: 7.5" Vs. 8.5"

Hey all, I am in the process of converting my Saiga and I can't decide between the 7.5" Ace skeleton stock or the 8.5" one. I also intend to add the 1" recoil pad to either one which is why i was leaning toward the 7.5" stock but my question is what do you think is too little and too much? Would the 7.5 be too short coming out to about 8.5" of stock with the 1" pad and possibly adding a folding mechanism later on? I am concerned with it feeling too small and hitting my face on the back of the dust cover when I shoot high brass, I guess that shouldnt happen if I shoulder it properly but its just a concern. I'm 6" tall, thin, with long arms if that helps, a regular Romanian AK-47 stock feels okay to me. What do you all run and what do you prefer in terms of ACE stocks?

Hey all, I am in the process of converting my Saiga and I can't decide between the 7.5" Ace skeleton stock or the 8.5" one. I also intend to add the 1" recoil pad to either one which is why i was leaning toward the 7.5" stock but my question is what do you think is too little and too much? Would the 7.5 be too short coming out to about 8.5" of stock with the 1" pad and possibly adding a folding mechanism later on? I am concerned with it feeling too small and hitting my face on the back of the dust cover when I shoot high brass, I guess that shouldnt happen if I shoulder it properly but its just a concern. I'm 6" tall, thin, with long arms if that helps, a regular Romanian AK-47 stock feels okay to me. What do you all run and what do you prefer in terms of ACE stocks?

7.5 is too short if you plan to do any prone or sitting shooting. The receiver cover will be popping you in the nose every shot - a sure way of developing a flinch. The 8.5 with a one inch pad would be roughly equivalent to a Warsaw-length stock.

I like the weapon tucked in close and would like to be able to use 7.62 plates if needed. Short stocks give me the feeling of being 'wrapped around' the weapon, instead of a long stock giving me that 'reaching for' feeling. In my mind, at least, having a short stock is the equivalent of a shorter barrel because if the stock is 1 1/2" or so shorter, the barrel sticks out from my chest or shoulder 1 1/2" less. A shorter overall weapon puts the weapon that much further out of someone elses reach. Most people intend to use their weapons for HD and the shorter the better inside a building with narrow doorways and hallways, like most homes. So, I like short stocks on everything. I would do the 7.5" ACE with a 1/2" pad. JMO

I have had both and prefer the 7.5, especially with the 1" pad installed. Plus if you have on any kind of armor, vest/carrier system then you need to take that into account as well, which is why I sold my 8.5 and went with the 7.5 instead. And like others have mentioned, if you add a folder in the future, you must also take into account the extra 3/4" or so the adapter adds to your lop. Just to note, my shooting style is not your traditional stance. I am squared to the target and the weapon is brought closer to the center of my chest, rather than out in the shoulder pocket.

I eventually sold that particular saiga and have since switched to using vltor's AR stock adapter for the convenience of being able to quickly adjust my length of pull. To me that is a much nicer feature than a folding stock, which I also had and never used. And you don't have to cut your tang and you have better options for cheek risers IMO.

For folding, 7.5, for fixed, 8.5.....

Just my 2 cents. I didn't have the money for a folder, nor did I think it would clear a drum. I also don't really need that functionality except for maybe storage or transportation, which for storage it's easy enough to just unbolt the stock if I have to.

I prefer the shortest stocks possible and use my AR15 with the stock all the way in. I'm rather fond of the 8.5" I have currently.

Here is a question for ya... What is the length on your other shooting rifle?

Before I ordered my 8.5 I took measurements on my AR stock (where I set it for shooting, I also measured my S223 stock as well) After doing the measurements I decided on the 8.5 after I measured my current set ups. I am 5'10" and my stle of shooting is shoulders squared (BA front)elbows tucked in.

one thing you could do is take your current stock off, put a piece of wood a 1x1 cut at your desired lengths, put it into the rear trunnion check the fit and feel..

Just an idea

post-19827-079798500 1287252080_thumb.jpg

Well on my AR it feels fine collapsed all the way in or all the way out haha. I'm just concerned about getting popped by the dust cover when shooting if i went with 7.5". I do intend to add the 1" recoil pad and a folding mechanism (later on for folder). Anyone have this setup that would be willing to measure the length from reciever, including internal reciever block, folding mechanism (without too if you got it like that), 7.5" or 8.5" stock and a 1" ace pad. Thanks.

Well on my AR it feels fine collapsed all the way in or all the way out haha. I'm just concerned about getting popped by the dust cover when shooting if i went with 7.5". I do intend to add the 1" recoil pad and a folding mechanism (later on for folder). Anyone have this setup that would be willing to measure the length from reciever, including internal reciever block, folding mechanism (without too if you got it like that), 7.5" or 8.5" stock and a 1" ace pad. Thanks.

Are you used to shooting AR's? if so the check well with the following is very similar.

If you go with the internal block then you can do a couple of different options:

1. add the car buffer tube pignose http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-170/ACE-CAR15-SAIGA-AK47/Detail

2. You can then add a car buffer tube decide if you want a mil spec or not.

3. Side folder http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-163/Ace-Folding-Mechanism-Saiga/Detail

4. Or just go with this an add a AR type stock that way you can adjust to any length that fits you or your friends,,, http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-373/Saiga-EMA-M4-Stock/Detail

The only reason I have a fixed stock is due to living on the Left Coast.

If you want I have the last item... PM me and let me know and I will send it to you....

I have an ace 7.5" folding stock and 1" recoil pad. The length of pull from trigger to pad is 13". Hope this helps.

DSCN3020.jpg

Edited by one2za