S-20 for 3 gun

My wife is looking to get into 3 gun, no problem, except for the shotgun end of it. She has not been a fan of the recoil of the 12 gauge, and even with my S-12 w/comps she is looking for something less recoil wise. How does the S-20 compare in recoil? Is it considerably less than the 12?

Also anybody got any pic's of their S-20 3 gun rigs feel free to post them. Thanks

recoil wise it "penzon" = depends on a couple of factors

first if you're going to make the power factor to be legitimate for shooting sanctioned matches.

with shotguns there is no major and minor it's the same for 20s and 12s.

if you're just shooting for fun the 20 may be easier to down load and or get lighter recoil shells that are available for both with the possible exception of slugs and buckshot I don't know of any being made for the 20 in reduced recoil you'd have to roll your own.

There are more comp systems available for the 12 but you could spend the time and money on venting the 20s barrel.

I'm still working on a 20 for 3 gun but it's more of a shits and grins project than a hardcore comp gun, the 12 was much easier to pick up the parts for.

good luck with it either way you go on it.

Most of the matches are "outlaw" type matches, so there is no power factor. With that said it obviously would have to be enough to knock down the steel.

What comps are available for the 20?

Not many comps for the 20 in production. I would highly recommend the poly choke for the 20. I shot a match a few months ago and there was a plate rack at 18 yrds. The 20ga shells would not knock them down. I was not using any choke and tried the same rack a few days later with the poly choke on extra full and it had no problems.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-307/Poly-dsh-Choke-II-Saiga-20/Detail

Most of the matches are "outlaw" type matches, so there is no power factor. With that said it obviously would have to be enough to knock down the steel.

What comps are available for the 20?

Not many comps for the 20 in production. I would highly recommend the poly choke for the 20. I shot a match a few months ago and there was a plate rack at 18 yrds. The 20ga shells would not knock them down. I was not using any choke and tried the same rack a few days later with the poly choke on extra full and it had no problems.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-307/Poly-dsh-Choke-II-Saiga-20/Detail

What are the basics that I would need to add on to make it run for 3 gun. I want it to be reliable for her, but not break the bank either.

while I'd just go as suggested by Greg with a Poly Choke and port the barrel some

but if recoil is the most pressing issue have a Cutt's comp done by Tom Cole it's a great system for the money.

other than that the usual polishing and see how it works for her.

Here's my experience with recoil reduction....

I picked up my first Saiga years ago, it was a 20 ga as it was 30 or 40 bucks cheaper. I know my buds would give me grief as I was shooting a wussy caliber, but my knowledge on 20ga told me (intellectually) that recoil would be about the same as usually 20ga shotties run on lighter frames, so the perceived recoil would be similar (so in my mind I wasn't wimping out). Afterwards I found out that local matches at that time (this was likely somewhere around 2002 ish) require 00 buck (not available in 20ga) and one match even required 12ga.

Then, my shooting bud decided to get a shotty, and wanted to test some out. He knew I liked to shoot so I went to help. We borrowed a S12, a Bennelli and a Remmy. We decided to check hammer drills, 5 pieces of steel as fast as we could (we only had 5 round mags). The other thing to know about me is I'm pretty recoil insensitive, often I can't tell much difference in shells that should have different recoil out of the same gun. I bought a knoxx recoil reduction stock and didn't notice any reduction. Anyways, when I ran the Saiga 12ga I remember being shocked that it DID kick noticeably more. This was a birdshot to bird shot comparison, cheap wally world bulk pack was what I usually shot in the 20 and what we were testing with that day. Looking back, I think DUH.

Oh, and I eventually that S20 to buy a S12 ... that's the gun I sold that makes me cry to think of. Love the S12, but that S20 would RUN!!!!

As for setting one up for competition, might reach out to board member wakal, I think he set up some s20's for his wife years back. I don't know when he was last on. Seems like his group was called dreadnaught industries, IIRC. I think he did some comp's, but I don't know if it was done on 20ga's.

Edited by kmoore