Why the Saiga is better after having the fire control group moved forw

Moving the FCG forward is not an aesthetic modification (although the gun will look better post restoration), the reason for a restoration is one of function. Restoring the rifle to its intended configuration creates a rifle that is more balanced, and additionally replaces the terrible FCG that comes with the gun. Replacing the FCG will net a smoother more cleaner trigger pull increasing the consistency of the weapon. The restoration is easy and nothing that should be overwhelming, and it should IMO be the first modification you do for this gun. This is why so many of us move the FCG forward.

• Like 1

can we sticky this.. OR can a moderator make a similar thread and sticky it.. it seems like every other week someone makes the thread "I am getting the tapco stock pg combo is that good..." or "why does everyone tell me to convert my gun" so a simple sticky explaining the benefits of the conversion to me would be something really helpful..

So is the Tapco stock any good? :haha:

Unfortunately those of us stuck behind the iron curtain called Cali don't have a practical option. Many here do trade function over style and move the FCG and add a maglock. Kinda silly if you ask me seeing as there is a very acceptable option right from the factory. I have looked at the OEM FCG to see if I could fab something that would work more like a true AK FCG. There sure is a lot of slop in the saiga trigger.

In Kalifornia, you have several options. IF you are lucky enough to legally possess pre-ban 30's, they can be used in a 922r compliant stock Saiga just like a Ruger Mini=30 can use 30 rounders without mag lock. You can also use a Monsterman grip and use 30s with no mag lock. You can achieve parts count with 4 of the following parts: US fore arm, US gas piston, US hammer, US disconnector, US mag followers, US base plates. The key is you have to have legally possed the mags before the ban. The good news is that the burden of proof is on them, according to a CA DOJ guy I talked with. Cal Guns,net has good information. Think of it as a Russian Mini-30!!!!!

As a side note, since in my retirement years, I will be frequenting the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia to stay with family, I plan on getting an MMG for my Saiga restoral. As a back up, I am doing my restoral in such a way that I can re-Saiga it if I need to. It helps that I legally possessed a registered AK and AR15 "Assault Rifles" back in the day when I lived there, so it removes my having to prove I had the mags for it pre-ban. Their own records show that I had them!!!

Edited by imarangemaster

can we sticky this.. OR can a moderator make a similar thread and sticky it.. it seems like every other week someone makes the thread "I am getting the tapco stock pg combo is that good..." or "why does everyone tell me to convert my gun" so a simple sticky explaining the benefits of the conversion to me would be something really helpful..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=39651&hl=why%20convert?&st=0

would be nice if the same post was stuck here as well... lol

would be nice if the same post was stuck here as well... lol

Dude, you'd have to make a pop-up window that pops up another copy when the first one is closed, and so on, and the only way to keep them from popping up is to actually read it and check the appropriate box in it.

It's a sad fact that the majority of people do not read stickies, no matter how many there are or where they are.

If they did read them, we could all spend a lot more time working on our Saigas, posting pix of our Saigas (and other subjects), and talking about our Saigas.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

What is a sticky Nalioth?

To the OP....good luck....folks gonna do whatever blows their dress up. Same with race engines...I can show this cam or set of heads will boost power at certain RPM's......they go with some wonder fuel and lose.....you know if folks do not like their FCG or performance of their Saiga they will look for alternatives.....you are forgetting most buy a Saiga....Mall Ninja that sum bitch and they are happy with it in the closet....they never shoot it.....they just bring it out when their buddies are over.....If they went through 100 rounds in a year would be a year of heavy shooting for them......all the info is here.....if they want to they will....if they don't they won't. I bet you 90% of all Saiga's sold are not converted.....

I converted mine because the factory stock and trigger group were awkward and unwieldy. If I had wanted a semi-auto sporter in 7.62x39 with a 10 round capacity magazine I would have bought an SKS instead. :)

That and the factory trigger group had a nasty trigger pull, totally unacceptable, even for a Russian gun. While the conversion stock has its merits, it's only a half-assed solution at best for those who are either not mechanically inclined, or cannot afford to have it done properly.

My only issue about the conversion is that the AK-100 Polymer folding stocks from KVAR are either non-existent, or made out of gold. That's probably last on my to do list other than an AK-100 FSB and brake for my conversion to feel "complete"

...My only issue about the conversion is that the AK-100 Polymer folding stocks from KVAR are either non-existent, or made out of gold...

No kidding. I've been looking for one to use on my SGL21 for awhile. I thought I had found a source, then found out the parts are actually "on backorder", (which is not indicated on their website). :( Of course, K-Var has the kit listed as "name your own price" i.e. "let's see how much we can gouge ya". I hate that bullshit. :evil: